Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What does everyone think of Toby Bedford copping 3 weeks.? What is the alternative, run with Taranto but dont tackle him. Is this not very similar to Dangerfield, did Dangerfield cop 1 week only for a very similar tackle. I presume Walsh was not concussed in the dangerfield tackle but seriously one gets 1 week and bedford cops 3 because one bloke was concussed and the other wasnt. Geez im not sure what else Bedford could have done. Only other option dont tackle Taranto. im confused but hope the bloke gets off.

The more interesting point on this Bedford Taranto tackle was Taranto was obviously in abit of distress and he was dazed and hunched over but the umpire throws the ball up which looked like only couple of metres away from where taranto was on the ground.
Personally I wouldn't suspend either of them for the tackles. Also seems bizarre that a Suns player got 1 week for an elbow to the head while not in play.
Bedford did lose his feet, which caused a hip drop type effect that lowered his gravity so Taranto was more likely to hit his head. However, this hasn't been much discussed in AFL. However, I am sure that there is not enough time to react, consult a risk assessment matrix and then apply a tackle.

Was thinking earlier, there seems to be an awful lot of mitigating circumstances in this incident which our representative would have to raise including your point above; Duggans propensity to concussion, the umpire not blowing the whistle earlier, the firmness of the oval which is well documented as being the hardest surface, the points made earlier by someone on here about Duggan also contributing to falling backwards and pulling Charlie.

The other point I want to make is in relation to concussions generally. Are players being graded concussed way easier than ever before? I’ve never seen so many players “concussed” as there are in 2024 to 5, 10, 20 years despite players bumped, hit, tackled harder back then and players didn’t seem to get knocked out unless they were lights out. Does that mean many many players just played concussed or is the bar so low nowadays as to what constitutes concussion as to why we are seeing players concussed so easily and in turn players being suspended as a result? Lastly, does Charlie even get cited if Duggan isn’t concussed? I wouldn’t think so and in my mind that is telling in itself.
Players just played after they'd been concussed every time.

In my days in the Amateurs if you got knocked out and stayed on it was inspirational. Can only imagine what it would've been like in the VFL.

I remember a match at Glenferrie Oval South vs Hawks in the '60's and Bobby Skilton got knocked out cold just before half time. He was on the ground for several minutes and got up in the hands of the trainers . Applauded off the ground because it was a sign of weakness to get carted off on a stretcher. He came out after the break and kicked 3 goals in the 3rd quarter with piercing left foot drop kicks on the run.

No one thought anything of it other than the dog act that saw him felled actually inspired him and his team to take over the game.

I've only been concussed once myself and in hindsight I never fully recovered for some time . Still have the bump on the back of my head. So I think we've got it right now. It's a serious issue and a major problem for the game.

Was thinking earlier, there seems to be an awful lot of mitigating circumstances in this incident which our representative would have to raise including your point above; Duggans propensity to concussion, the umpire not blowing the whistle earlier, the firmness of the oval which is well documented as being the hardest surface, the points made earlier by someone on here about Duggan also contributing to falling backwards and pulling Charlie.

The other point I want to make is in relation to concussions generally. Are players being graded concussed way easier than ever before? I’ve never seen so many players “concussed” as there are in 2024 to 5, 10, 20 years despite players bumped, hit, tackled harder back then and players didn’t seem to get knocked out unless they were lights out. Does that mean many many players just played concussed or is the bar so low nowadays as to what constitutes concussion as to why we are seeing players concussed so easily and in turn players being suspended as a result? Lastly, does Charlie even get cited if Duggan isn’t concussed? I wouldn’t think so and in my mind that is telling in itself.
IMO many players used to play concussed. The education is much better now and some players probably didn't know they were suffering a concussion.

One question I'd really like to know the answer to is why does this new administration feel a need to treat clubs, players and fans with such disdain?

They just seem to make one 'take that' decision after another. It boggles the mind how poorly they seem to want to treat their key stakeholders.

Time for the AFL's version of Super League?

Last edited:
I question I'd really like to know the answer to is why does this new administration feel a need to treat clubs, players and fans with such disdain?

They just seem to make one 'take that' decision after another. It boggles the mind how poorly they seem to want to treat their key stakeholders.

I’m all for a non Victorian league; I mean it’s what the VFL HQ, its media and fans want. Interstate teams need to know their place, are the scapegoats for everything and held to different standards and given the moronic VFL administration and their even more moronic barristers who adjudicate the game and have less credibility then why the hell not.

One question I'd really like to know the answer to is why does this new administration feel a need to treat clubs, players and fans with such disdain?

They should work with clubs not as a heavy hand above them.

If it weren't for the non Vic clubs the VFL would be the same sea of bland its been since the late 19th C. The non Vic clubs should secede from the AFL and start up the IFL - the interstate football league :moustache:
If it weren't for the non Vic clubs, the VFL would have folded in the 80s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only we could go back in time and that’s exactly what you would have allowed to happen.
Be very interesting, footy obviously wouldn't have died, the time was right for the game to go national. The AFL would have happened anyway potentially backed by some big money rather than a competition looking for ways out of its own mess.

Be very interesting, footy obviously wouldn't have died, the time was right for the game to go national. The AFL would have happened anyway potentially backed by some big money rather than a competition looking for ways out of its own mess.
Probably like the EPL with only a few teams capable of winning the GF without the promotion and relegation. The suburban ground would at least have been improved.

Probably like the EPL with only a few teams capable of winning the GF without the promotion and relegation. The suburban ground would at least have been improved.
For all our competitions faults, I do think the salary cap, the draft etc is a great thing. I couldn't imagine being a fan of a mid to low level EPL team with little to no hope of ever winning anything.

For all our competitions faults, I do think the salary cap, the draft etc is a great thing. I couldn't imagine being a fan of a mid to low level EPL team with little to no hope of ever winning anything.

America, the home of capitalism, has similar in all major sports - I believe. Cannot get interested in EPL.

Last edited:
Funny hearing Josh Dunkley interview.

"Personally I go into tackles now worried about what the outcome's going to be.

"So you're very hesitant in what you're doing and I feel like that's going to impact everyone across the competition because guys are going to potentially hold back a little bit, and I don't know if that's what we want."

Then the next grab is Andrew Dillon saying he thinks the AFL players had adapted to the increasing demands of the league’s disciplinary system. Obviously just going off stats.

Serious head in the clouds Andrew Dillon..
I have never known so many supporters from all the opposition clubs to be so confused and disillusioned with everything going on right now.

"So you're very hesitant in what you're doing and I feel like that's going to impact everyone across the competition because guys are going to potentially hold back a little bit, and I don't know if that's what we want."

Then the next grab is Andrew Dillon saying he thinks the AFL players had adapted to the increasing demands of the league’s disciplinary system. Obviously just going off stats.

I have never known so many supporters from all the opposition clubs to be so confused and disillusioned with everything going on right now.
What’s the age old saying? Don’t have to have long sideburns to be a goose?

Attachments

• IMG_6120.jpeg
    IMG_6120.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 6
Apart from the fact your bias, a good move, IMO - as long as the academy rules stay the same. Equal rules.
I did say I didn’t overly care, more the timing of the announcement when one of the biggest issues is in the AFL news and they just drop it so it gets as little as attention as possible. Again, I really don’t mind with the exception of players who would play the game anyway like Chris Johnson’s son qualifying for NGA.

Dillon is a liar and another spin merchant that anyone with half a brain can see through except Ralph who is the VFL executives mouth piece.

Credit where credit is due, just watched Midweek Tackle and even those three put the boot into the AFL about the tribunal and the NGA in that the AFL botched the NGA given all these clubs missed out on players like Mac Andrews only to revert back to how it was much to the disgrace of many Melbourne clubs recruiting teams. Again said the AFL botched it. Can’t disagree

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back