Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Games like yesterday are immensely frustrating - we've definitely thrown a few away this year -

Mainly through poor kicking for goal.

Calling for a replacement for Fagan is premature.

These knowalls love getting into Joe because he's low hanging fruit and all the other team's supporters are going to agree with them.

Without Joe in the team we wouldn't have had any hope at all yesterday . Picking on him is just the ultimate conceit . Cornes probably watched the last 5 minutes.
Cornes is the ultimate big mouth who loves to create the media agenda at the start of each week. Talks absolute rubbish most of the time and even makes King look half sensible on occasions which is quite an achievement.

Problem is, Lachie was spouting crap on his 360 segment that all sounded great in theory, problem is, its all echo chamber stuff that none of the other players listen to or I dare say he even believes. And we've all seen this from Harris multiple times and Dunks even saying during the week we'll fix everything from GWS game for the Pies game and look where we are.

You honestly can't trust any of them because they only think they want a flag, but aren't prepared to do whatever it takes to win it because they just don't have the heart and desire in them.

Tackles between Shultz, Elliot, Hill and McCreery = 16

Tackles between Rayner, Bailey, Ah Chee and Cameron = 1

People pot the mids but they are the only reason we are in the finals atm. Can’t expect them to dominate every quarter. It’s unrealistic.

It’s our forwards that destroy us in these games. Lack of defensive pressure and poor efficiency.

Tackles between Shultz, Elliot, Hill and McCreery = 16

Tackles between Rayner, Bailey, Ah Chee and Cameron = 1

People pot the mids but they are the only reason we are in the finals atm. Can’t expect them to dominate every quarter. It’s unrealistic.

It’s our forwards that destroy us in these games. Lack of defensive pressure and poor efficiency.

We also set up a kick outside our forwardline whereas Collingwood probably press up harder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Felt like everything was lined up for us to get the top 4 last weekend and have a dream run to the grand final and now I'm just hopeful of surviving the 1st final. It's purely on the goal kicking yips which seem to come and go for a few weeks at a time. I liked Fagan putting the loss in perspective, we've still won 9 of our last 11 games and 2 losses being a point with a few missed opportunities and the other a game we clearly should have won. We're not going that bad even though last night was really frustrating.

There are shitty games for a lot of teams in the top 8 that have gone on this season. The Pies only last week were ~30 points up in the last 1/4 and lost to Sydney leaving their premiership defence to a mathematical chance which now looks done. Freo have lost a bunch of close games in the past 3 weeks and now they might miss finals. Looks like any team can win the grand final.

Well having a bit of a sleep and a walk of our retired greyhound had a bit of time to re work the game in the head after being at the G live. I sincerely hope the boys can turn this around but few moments yesterday really concerns me. Not going over goal kicking as everyone knows what is going on. It is just the crunch moments in games we seem to be severely lacking in.
When we really needed a stoppage on our half forward line in last quarter and it looked like we had the ball locked in somehow collingwood broke it away and streamed through the middle. We just needed a stoppage that was all but it broke out.
When we have a centre bounce in last quarter and collingwood are coming all we need is a stoppage again or we get a clearance. The last thing we want is collingwood centre break clearance and bang happened couple of times late in the game. All we were looking for was a stoppage to get numbers around the ball for another bounce, but we couldnt hold them in.
The Mccreery goal, no one goal side whatsoever. Would have thought this was a set play we would have gone over many times in last couple of years so that was disappointing with no goal side defensive measures put in place.
I hope i am wrong but maybe we are just not mentally strong enough or physically strong enough to complete the job.

If we get the job done i will be the first to say I WAS WRONG but right now its looking a very hard job for the boys.

Have a listen to most pressers and the coaches talk about learnings.
I suspect the other coaches have picked up the learnings thingy from Fages. As much as i do believe that one should never stop learning, that implies that you need to actually apply such 'learnings'. I'd like to know what learnings that arose from the GWS game were applied to the Pies game?
However despite my disappointment, earlier in the year when we were struggling to reach the eight I was hoping we might at least make it to fifth or sixth to generate one home final. That we hopefully can still do (a win next week will suffice).
I certainly wouldn't hold out much hope if we go into eighth spot on the back of three straight losses.

Go Lions!

Tbh for mind it’s the opposition stepping up with their game and we struggle to lift and match them.
Then some bad play
Like Oscar doing dinky kicks out of the centre going straight to two pies players
Team burning goals
Little things or even game awareness sees us fall back.
Maybe you’re right. Come to think of it our creativity seems to go straight out the window when we aren’t getting it all our way

Maybe you’re right. Come to think of it our creativity seems to go straight out the window when we aren’t getting it all our way
The way we go from dominating to legless is concerning. Just need 2 or 3 to stand up and steady the ship.

Honestly we're not far away from being a very good team if we can just get on top of the mental lapses that turn in to physical lapses.

There's a key to it somewhere in our mix of leadership and coaching . We're very much experienced enough and good enough. Frustrating to see lesser players from the Pies really kill the big moments.

We can still step up this year. It's very tough now but sometimes the wake up calls are what spurs you on.

Just checked - it was a trip against Joe in the 3rd quarter.

Yep, that's the one

Totally BS "decision" against Joe and I don't blame him at all about getting shiity about being penalised for HTB after Lipinski first trips him and then jumps in his back

Weird thing is this incident was part of Cornes' rant about how Joe apparently "costing" the Lions the match.

Tripping someone has potential for serious injury including concussion. Should be zero tolerance but it's just a slap on the wrist.
I thought it was a reportable action and that suspension was a very real outcome.

But hey..... Collingwood ,so nothing to see here from Christensen except we're docking your pocket money next week :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back