Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

They transcended the traditional sponsorship arrangements and are now just flagrantly rorting the system.

View attachment 2150764
You would think the opposite would happen to a major club sponsor.
That being free appearances by players and now the coach to the sponsor

And a fair few numpties on Lions FB pages saying we should bring him in as a DFA 🤮

This board was mostly very keen on him

So who did we take instead of Cumberland?

Further than that, I dont think Rayner has ever shown or played a game like that and Cumberland was taken with a pick in the 40s - have to say that is a pretty big stuff up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where this came from. but some people shouldn't be allowed to operate visual representations of data. Differences in font styles, sizes and anti-aliasing. It burns my eyes, brain and soul!!! Would take 5 minutes in MS Paint to redo this well enough

As was Kai Lohmann, apparently, when we first drafted him.

As was Joe Daniher too just quietly.

Cumberland has had 3 years to learn how to run defensively. Dimma kept dropping him because he refused to do basic defensive actions.

Bit different to Kai who was a new draftee who had to work on it, and Joe who played a position where defensive running is frankly as much of a 'nice to have' as it ever is in the modern game.

Cumberland has had 3 years to learn how to run defensively. Dimma kept dropping him because he refused to do basic defensive actions.

Bit different to Kai who was a new draftee who had to work on it, and Joe who played a position where defensive running is frankly as much of a 'nice to have' as it ever is in the modern game.
I'd suggest defensive pressure from key (tall) forwards has never been more important, especially given our preference late in the season to hold our forwards deeper than we previously had, thus opening up the field as a whole and making our guys ahead of the ball more accountable individually for actually competing both in the air and on the ground.

To suggest defensive pressure/running from a key forward is currently more a "nice to have" than it ever has been seems a bit out of touch to me. The fact that Joe was able to apply himself in this manner in the last 1-2 years of his career, when arguably he showed virtually none of those tendencies in his earlier years, is a testament both to him and also to our coaching group. I recall that at the end of the 2022 season, this was something at least one of our coaches mentioned (publicly) was addressed directly with Joe as a necessary area for improvement.

If it's something he can learn then it's certainly possible for a guy like Cumberland to follow the same trajectory with the right support and perhaps a bit of maturity. It's certainly something much more easily learnt than a lot of the inherent traits Cumberland appears to have already.

I'd suggest defensive pressure from key (tall) forwards has never been more important, especially given our preference late in the season to hold our forwards deeper than we previously had, thus opening up the field as a whole and making our guys ahead of the ball more accountable individually for actually competing both in the air and on the ground.

To suggest defensive pressure/running from a key forward is currently more a "nice to have" than it ever has been seems a bit out of touch to me. The fact that Joe was able to apply himself in this manner in the last 1-2 years of his career, when arguably he showed virtually none of those tendencies in his earlier years, is a testament both to him and also to our coaching group. I recall that at the end of the 2022 season, this was something at least one of our coaches mentioned (publicly) was addressed directly with Joe as a necessary area for improvement.

If it's something he can learn then it's certainly possible for a guy like Cumberland to follow the same trajectory with the right support and perhaps a bit of maturity. It's certainly something much more easily learnt than a lot of the inherent traits Cumberland appears to have already.

Think you've missed my point - I agree that defensive running from all players is critical, but the set up Joe played in at Essendon where he was pretty much the sole target meant it was arguably the 'least' critical for him to do it compared to other positions. Doesn't mean that it wasn't something he needed to improve and I agree with what you say about his growth in that area.

By contrast defensive running is clearly priority #1 for a small forward role and Cumberland was given multiple opportunities over 2+ years to improve on it and never did.

He's talented enough to be on a list but given the depth of the draft he's probably going to miss out on getting a second chance this year and will have to build back up through a state league comp.

Think you've missed my point - I agree that defensive running from all players is critical, but the set up Joe played in at Essendon where he was pretty much the sole target meant it was arguably the 'least' critical for him to do it compared to other positions. Doesn't mean that it wasn't something he needed to improve and I agree with what you say about his growth in that area.

By contrast defensive running is clearly priority #1 for a small forward role and Cumberland was given multiple opportunities over 2+ years to improve on it and never did.

He's talented enough to be on a list but given the depth of the draft he's probably going to miss out on getting a second chance this year and will have to build back up through a state league comp.
Fair enough. I perhaps overestimated Cumberland's height. At 183cm he's 2cm shorter than Lohmann. He seems to play taller than that. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Hypothetically, if we were to chat with him with a view to listing him, you'd imagine this would be a key topic for discussion and you'd like to back our people to have the EQ to see through any bullshit

Fair enough. I perhaps overestimated Cumberland's height. At 183cm he's 2cm shorter than Lohmann. He seems to play taller than that. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Hypothetically, if we were to chat with him with a view to listing him, you'd imagine this would be a key topic for discussion and you'd like to back our people to have the EQ to see through any bullshit
He always seemed like McCarthy or Elliot at the pies who are short but their playstyle is almost like a tall.

Being delisted by the wooden spooners is never a good look though. Would take a massive wakeup and change in attitude to recover from that. Probably needs a season in another comp to prove it

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back