Non WA Eagles fans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, this is awesome - seem to be a few of us golden-era-Melbourne-primary-school-followers, who have never set foot in W.A!

NXak.gif
So this is what it's like when doves cry.

Yeah wow, who are you freaks!!!

Disappointed many of you have never come across for a game. That'll have tot change,
I was going to go to the St. Kilda game this year with a mate, but I didn't have the money for it. Plus being at the end of my final semester of uni didn't help.

Hopefully next year I'll be able to go see a match.

Born in Victoria, whisked away to the UK by mum as an infant, came back in 94. Dad came to Vic in 87 and chose us over the Bears. When I arrived I had no choice (also pretty good year to be an eagles fan). Been a member since 96. Been to Perth once, NNs second match against the Hawks in the rain. Quite often travel to Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney etc

Always been around Melbourne. Started supporting them in '94 as a little tacker. You could say I jumped on the bandwagon. The support is always good for games in Melbourne. There must be plenty of us.

I knew one other WC fan at uni who I don't think was from WA. And my younger brother who followed me, but isn't the die-hard fan I am. The other few I know irl have relocated from WA.

Last edited:
Wow, this is awesome - seem to be a few of us golden-era-Melbourne-primary-school-followers, who have never set foot in W.A!

NXak.gif
Booya same here. Bandwagon jumper, colors and the eagle. '91 Victorian, went to WA for rnd 1 this year. Never been part on the majority at a footy game. Truly awesome

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

Born and bred Victorian. Never even been to WA, although i plan on going over for a look someday.

Only support West Coast because i was about 7 years old and thought eagles were cool. That's it, never looked back.
Similar to a lot these supporters. Born and raised in Victoria and chose Eagles just before the 87 season when in primary school. Used to go for Fitzroy but loved Eagles colours more. Stuck with them ever since.
Took me until 2015 to get to my first game at Subi and second this year against Dogs. I'm used to going to footy with a handful of other Eagles fans, my two games in Perth were amazing.

A lot of this is not known generally - I think. Perhaps this is some evidence that we do have a national competition.

By the way - lots of supporters in WA support Vic teams as well.

Whenever we play the bombers here there seems to be no shortage of Bombers supporters at games.

Thanks for the thread and for the replies . I’ve been reading with interest , despite being kiwi -born but in WA since age 11 (and having never lived outside of WA as far as Australia is concerned ) . I attend 1-2 games in Melbourne every year (this year , went to Hawks at Etihad and the GF) and have met many Vic supporters , but like the OP , I wrongly assumed that the majority were either ex sandgropers or had family ties to WA .

I am not aware of club strategies to recruit supporters from other states , but the effectiveness of any strategies we do have would be limited by our typical timeslots and infrequent national coverage.

I think our club is missing out on potential further growth and profits . Inerstate and Vic memberships aren’t sold out (not even Vic platinum, which confers priority 1 ie guaranteed GF access ) and there is no waiting list to join them its untapped potential .

Many people aren’t even aware that a Vic /interstate address isn’t required to get one of these memberships . Interstate /Vic Gold membership is cheap and confers finals access too (unlike ITW).

Yeah wow, who are you freaks!!!

Disappointed many of you have never come across for a game. That'll have tot change,

Haha, yea as mentioned in other posts, definitely get weird looks & questions upon mentioning it in Vic!

That's the dream - come over for a Eagles match, especially @ the new stadium... if only for the 'boooooing"!!! (That and a Wildcats game - tho I don't support them. That'd just be weird.)

A lot of this is not known generally - I think. Perhaps this is some evidence that we do have a national competition.

By the way - lots of supporters in WA support Vic teams as well.

Whenever we play the bombers here there seems to be no shortage of Bombers supporters at games.
Bloody bombers supporters. They do my head in the most

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the rest of you non-wa'ers find yourself always having to explain why you barrack for the Eagles? First question i always seem to get asked when i mention who i follow is...how come?
Haha yes. I feel after 30 years of giving the same response I slip into autopilot as I roll out the 'I used to support Fitzroy, then changed to Eagles when they came into comp. I was only a little kid. But had 3 premierships!!!'
Now I can change the spiel to 4 premierships!!!

I'm from rural Victoria, and have gone for the eagles since day 1. Let me tell you about how I came to be an eagles fan for life:

The year west coast entered the competition I was 4. Me, my mum and dad had a weekend in Melbourne and were staying in a hotel in the CBD. Turns out, Ross Glendenning was staying in the same hotel. We ran into Ross in the hotel lobby. Now me being 4 years of age I had no idea who he was, but my parents certainly did. So they struck up a conversation with him and talked about footy for a while whilst I waited. At the end of the conversation, Ross leant down to me and asked:

"so who do you go for in the footy mate?"

"um, I don't really go for anyone"

"Well, why don't we sign you up as a West Coast supporter"

So he grabbed a pen and paper and took our details, and 2 weeks later an eagles jumper and footy came across from Perth and was delivered to our house.

I was hooked and have gone for them ever since. Can say with pride I have literally followed them since that day.

I am an expat but haven't lived in WA for about 35 years. I move about a bit but am always amused when I go to a game in Melbourne obviously supporting the Eagles and get the - 'ha its a long drive back to Perth' after a loss. Sydnet crowds generally accept you live in Sydney given the very different demographic at the footy.

I have been to every GF we have played in and saw our first Vic win at Geelong. Also got bach to Perth to see us play at Optus (Agains the Bombers unfortunately)

Must say I enjoyed the 18 GF

I've lived in Sydney all my life and have supported the Eagles since the day they first entered the AFL. I think that it was watching players such as Polly Farmer and Barry Cable playing for Victorian clubs that started me liking the West Australian players. Then there was an interstate match in which a Western Australian team (pre state of origin) was beaten by only a single goal. It was fabulous to watch ! I don't remember exactly WHEN it was, but I remember the W A team having Polly Farmer at the end of his career so it would have been in the early 70's I guess.

They were St Kilda supporters. Ross Glendenning saved me from a lifetime of pain haha!
So many bullets dodged
Ross is such a great man!
But condolences if “were” means what I think it means :(

Haha, yea as mentioned in other posts, definitely get weird looks & questions upon mentioning it in Vic!

That's the dream - come over for a Eagles match, especially @ the new stadium... if only for the 'boooooing"!!! (That and a Wildcats game - tho I don't support them. That'd just be weird.)

Wish you luck in getting across here - you will love the new stadium - the noise generated by the members when it is full (as it is during WCE games) is awesome.

Will never forget in 2011 (when I was living in Brisbane) my mate and I went to a kebab store in Morningside, started chatting with the owner who was a very friendly and talkative Syrian guy who had moved to Aus in the early 90's. Then somehow sports and eventually footy came up, and he started ranting about his love of the eagles and what I great year theyre having. Obviously I told him I was an absolute eagles nut and we were chatting away about the last few results etc. When I asked if he had lived in WA before coming to bris he said "no, I went from Syria to Melbourne, my friends there took me to a game and the eagles were playing" and he said he pretty much immediately fell in love with the team.

So a week later at a pub up the road from said shop I went to watch the eagles play port, and when I rocked up guess who was there....the Syrian bloke in his full jumper, scarf everything and get this, sitting with him was his 17 year old daughter also in her scarf. So she'd been born in Melbourne to a Syrian father and raised in Brisbane but was an equal eagles nut as both he or I ...in fact she even knew some injury news I didn't.
Ended up catching up with the both of them a few time more in 2011 before I moved to the other side of town.
Always found it so bizarre/surreal/awesome meeting them, with not even a tiny connection to WA so into the eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non WA Eagles fans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back