North Central Football League - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WEll Well Well the big day is fast approaching us will it be a fairytale finish for what has been an inspirational campaign for the Boort football club or will the Redbacks spoil the party and become etched in North Central
Footballs history as the only club to go back to back to back to back?

No doubt it will be a marvellous day no matter what the results!

U/13
St Arnaud with the list of stars such as Tom Douglas and Jack French should take home the cake but an upset is in the pipeline, I'll be hoping and tipping the young royal blues to get up by 9 points in what will set the scene for the day.

BOG: Dudley Bibby
Verdict: Donald by 9 points

U/16
Can Boort make a mends for what was a disappointing loss in '07', I think not. With the amount of Donald’s senior experience in the 16's they will be impossible to beat, Lucas Anderson, Blake Grant Jarred Newell (all nominated for Rookie of the year) and the league B&F Kalon Green. Up against Big Red Rhook and The Fitzy boys. Blake Grant to follow in the footsteps of last years BOG and a fellow Donald boy Nathan Wright and kick 10.1 in a match winning performance.

BOG: Will McAllister
Verdict: Donald by 89

RESERVES:
Birchip also out to make amends for last years loss, whilst Wedda's mix of youth and experience looking to go back to back.
Can the Redbacks run and carry of the ball out do Birchip’s strength and bustle? The Redbacks will rely heavily on the likes of Jess James, Al Colbert, John McNamara and Jesse Jackson to carry the ball and get it fast down to Lee Hall and Andrew Brett. whilst needing the old heads of Tim Lockheart, Al Last and Matt O'Toole controlling the Backline.
Birchip will need big Games from there Super Stars Sam Goldsmith, Danny Glenn and Terry Young who have the ability to win it off there own bat. After Dropping 4 back from the 1's Birchip should be held in good stead with Cozens, Goldsmith, Young and Trollope
Key Match Up's
Tim Lockheart V's Eddie Lee: combined ages of 283 but the boys still know there way around the footy field, Lee taking the honours in the Pre-Lim kicking 3 and having a major impact. Lockheart doesn’t often get beaten twice and will be determined to make up for this.

David Walsh V's Andrew Brett
The Big Irelander David Walsh will have his hands full this week with Brett being able to play a more attacking role on the big ground. 'U' Turn Brett will need to snag a bag to give the Redbacks a shot.

B.SHARP V's Matt O'Toole
A David and Goliath battle. Sharp fresh from a spell at Caulfield will be looking to crack the whip on the back end of the 2008 football season, Sharps finals record was held at its lofty heights after his inspirational Pre-Lim snagging three goals and numerous goal assists. O'Toole will not let the big name of SHARP put him off and will be testing the strength of bones everywhere!

BOG: Clinton Turnbull
Verdict: Wedderbrun by 13 points

SENIORS:

Weather: Mostly cloudy with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the east. A cool day with a strengthening northwest wind shifting westerly and easing later. Should suit the redbacks, with a more stop start game.
Ground: Lord Nelson Park is a large ground which should suit the Magpies running game!

As we saw at Wyche 2 weeks ago it will be the ferocity at the ball that will determine the outcome of the game. If Wedderburn is able to place pressure on the Boort runners their game will fold like a deck of cards but if Boort are able to run and carry Wedderburn will not get within a sniff. Rice, Walklate, Parker's, Rutley's and Keeble will need to get first use of the ball from the BJ himself. The likes of Russel 'The Love Muscle' Douglas, Robbie 'Red Nuts' Tonkin and Daniel Gash will need to stop this run from the centre.
Forwards & Backs
Stenhouse, DJ Barnyard, Ritchie, SupaTonkin, Hayes and a resting Ruckman will stretch the Boort defence. If the ball comes in long and fast it will leave a very big job for Wilson, Charlmers, Gross and Cooney.
On the other side of the coin Perrymen needs a big one, 16 goals in 2 finals is a fantastic effort but another 8+ will be needed, Brown will most likely get the job on him, keeping him to 6 and he's done his job. Onballers and wingers will need to push down and kick goals.
Key Match Ups:
Rutley V's Tonkin
Chutney Crotch Tonkin took the honours last game making Rutley squeal like a shot pig in the opening term with a big HIT causing him to leave the field. Talk is that Rutley had words at quarter time last week (Tonkin spectator in the Bulls v Boort match) and told him to "Watch out next week Tonkin'. Obviously pretty confident they were going to win!
My bet Tonkin to repeat the dose and make it 2 from 2.

Hayes V's Gross
If the sun is shining Hayes will certainly need to bring his A.Game, Gross's hair do or lack of will make the glary conditions even more intense. Gross ability to win the loose ball is second to none and Hayes will have to stop this to minimise the drive from the backline. Crucial!

Walklate V's R.Benaim
Banaim had the better of Walklate in the Pre-Lim after giving him close attention all day almost wearing the same pair of jocks they were that close he will be looking to repeat his efforts, Walklate after having the worst possible finals series imaginable will need to lift and become one of Boort’s major ball winners, the only one of Boort’s team to have played in a NCFL Grand final and will need to draw upon every last bit of this to help get his team over the line.

BOG: Hayden Polglase, will have a man all day but will play to his strengths (smarts) and run off create and set up Wedderburn’s 14 point victory.
Verdict: Boort by 12 at 3/4, Wedderburn to storm home in the last lead by Sam Barnes who will kick 5 for the day off a HBF/HFF and get up by 14

Should be a great day if the weather can hold out good luck to the A's, B's and U/16 Netballers
Go REDBACK2BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tremendous effort BK, heres my little preview i cooked up for another site

Senior Grand Final
11i264y.png
v
1gsso3.png

Keys To Success
Wedderburn
Daniel Gash - A strong onballer, skills are exceptional, Polled extremely well in the Feeny Medal. Missed heaps of Footy through injury, is heading back towards his best. Former Bendigo Bombers player, who plays/played in the NTFL in the off season. One of the Redback keys.
Darren Stenhouse - Key Full Forward, strong hands, can be a bit lazy, but when you get 10-15 shots on goal, the scorecard says it all. Strong rumour that Tomorrow will be his last game for the Redbacks, sure to snag a few. Kicked over 100 in the H/A season
Russell Douglas - Another strong onballer, i personally rate him as the best small midfielder in the league, Will play well, needs to be stopped. quick, delicate, yet very solid on his feet.
David Fevleaki - bit of a Show Pony, looks great and works well when he's on, however looks selfish when things aren't happening. Has been known to lose his cool and goes downhill big time when he does. Get under his skin is your best bet against this handy playmaker. This fellow is a bit of a barometer, if hes on, the side is generally on.

Boort
Brett Jeffrey - Feeny Medallist, Drafted to Melbourne, played VFL footy for a few years. Is a 200 gamer with Northcote Park in the Northern Football League (Formerly Diamond Valley Football League) and a League medallist down there too. Very Tall and Solid fellow, who rarely misses a beat. Has a great kick for a big man, and knows where to land the handballs, Umpires love him, picks up alot of frees, if hes on, Boort are in a great position.
Mark Perryman - Our other "ton" goal kicker, Mark kicked 17 goals (and 3 behinds) in the last game of the season, to get his hundred, and pass Darren Stenhouse to win the goalkicking by 1. Has hands bigger than most, and when in form, takes a hell of alot of stopping
Aaron Walklate - Elegant recieving style of footballer who isn't afraid to get under packs when needed. Has awesome skills, and is quick on his feet. Has had a couple of off weeks lately, and will be looking on stepping up to where we all know he can be.
James Keeble - First year player, at only 17 years of age, "Jimmy" has proved himself worthy of his spot, and will surely put up another great performance, when the two top sides meet on saturday, in St Arnaud.
Aaron Wilson - Current Geelong VFL listed player, has played a few games with Geelong. Can play forward or back. Aaron is a cut above most of the other guys running around.

Roc's Tip - Boort will rebound after their loss to Wedderburn 2 weeks ago, and should run home victors by about 5 goals. I expect the Lead should change quite a few times during the game
Des Darcy Medal (Best on Ground) Brett Jeffrey or Russell "Rusty" Douglas​

Magpies to fly on sentiment
BY PATRICK O'MEARA, Wimmera Mail Times
19/09/2008 10:42:00 AM
IT will be emotion versus experience when Boort takes on reigning premiers Wedderburn in the North Central Football League grand final tomorrow at St Arnaud.
Boort has dedicated its season to former coach Haldane Nelson who was tragically killed earlier this year in the pre-season.

The Boort Magpies though have been the best team this season. They lost just one game for the season against Birchip-Watchem, and lost another in the second semi-final against Wedderburn.

Wedderburn's home and away season was well below expectations after it had ruled the league last season.

But the Redbacks have hit form when it matters and are well rested, having played just two games in five weeks to progress to the grand final.

In their semi-final encounter the Redbacks got on top early and the Magpies could not make up the ground.

The main battle will be that of the two 100-goal forwards.

Boort's Mark Perryman has been in solid form all season, while Darren Stenhouse is no stranger to the big stage, kicking five goals in last season's decider. Much will rest on who can give their team the best avenue to goal.

Another will be at the centre bounces.

Magpies' Feeney Medallist Brett Jeffrey will be critical to their hopes. Redbacks captain Adam Postle will have a massive task to curb his influence.

Before their upset finals win the Redbacks had struggled against the Magpies.

Their first encounter in round five saw the Redbacks smashed by 87 points, while in round 13 Boort got over the line by 17 points.

Patrick O'Meara says: It appears a toss of the coin, but Boort by 15 for sentimental reasons.

Birchip Reserves have made a few cuts in their team with three young blokes who have been there for the club and the team since pre-season, one whom which has played every game, have been left out of the Granny side. I do recall a wise man by the alias of Andrew L, wait that's a bit obvious, ok A Lee saying earlier in the season that there was no way he'd play this season as he'd leave it up to the young blokes. Has completely contradicted himself and now put a young local lad out whom will no doubt be looking towards other clubs next season. Disappointing for the kids I must say.
On another note, I guess you need your best team in to win premiership, therefore they may have made the rite decision. We'll all know by 2.30pm tomorrow.
Seniors wise, the 'Burn by 4 Saveloys, Daniel Gash BOG

Some good previews there... Sonogan into the twos will be an massive inclusion for the burn and could just swing the result for back to back flags.. Lets hope this current wind dies down before tomorrow...

Birchip Reserves have made a few cuts in their team with three young blokes who have been there for the club and the team since pre-season, one whom which has played every game, have been left out of the Granny side. I do recall a wise man by the alias of Andrew L, wait that's a bit obvious, ok A Lee saying earlier in the season that there was no way he'd play this season as he'd leave it up to the young blokes. Has completely contradicted himself and now put a young local lad out whom will no doubt be looking towards other clubs next season. Disappointing for the kids I must say.
On another note, I guess you need your best team in to win premiership, therefore they may have made the rite decision. We'll all know by 2.30pm tomorrow.
Seniors wise, the 'Burn by 4 Saveloys, Daniel Gash BOG

Nackas Can u please tell me who the poor young lads were that got the boundary for Ed!!!

good to see the boys win it for white cat. well done Boort and good to see the burns investment of 1000s of dollars in feva pay off but not quite enough maybe they might get robert harvey next yr.... go pies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good to see the boys win it for white cat. well done Boort and good to see the burns investment of 1000s of dollars in feva pay off but not quite enough maybe they might get robert harvey next yr.... go pies

Well done Boort boys. A wonderful effort in what has been a very emotional year. A flag for the ages

It just enforces what type of bloke A Lee is......... Well done Birchip. You have won a seconds flag and have lost 3 young blokes for the future.........

PIES 08!!!!!!!!!

Huge win by the boys, special bit of inspiration this year and the win will be forever remembered. 21 of the best mates, playing for there bestest mate..

Go Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

AN emotion-charged Boort ran over the top of Wedderburn in the North Central Football League grand final at St Arnaud on Saturday.

Boort scraped over the line with a stunning five-goal final quarter to win by 15 points.

The Magpies had been down by 12 points at three-quarter-time, but rallied in the last quarter.

Boort had devoted its season to former coach Haldane Nelson, who was tragically killed in a car accident on his way from work in Echuca to pre-season training in Boort in February.

North Central League secretary Shane Burke said Boort players were emotional after the game.

"They were very emotional after the game, it has been a big year for them after their coach was killed," he said.

"They had his number embroidered on their jumpers."

Burke said Boort was simply too good in the end.

"Wedderburn looked like it was going to win it during the third quarter, but Boort kicked away in the last quarter," Burke said.

"I think lack of conditioning may have caught up with Wedderburn in the end, having not played much footy in recent weeks."

He said the game was a see-sawing affair as neither team could break away with it.

"It was neck and neck until 10 minutes into the last quarter," he said.

He said Nathan Gooding, Brett Jeffrey, Nick Reid and Aaron Walklate were the standouts for the premiers, while Daniel Gash, David Fevaleaki and Russell Douglas were best for the Redbacks.

Mark Perryman kicked three goals for the Magpies, while Sam Gross chimed in with two.

Wedderburn shared the load with Sam Barnes, Danny Benaim, Fevaleaki, and Cameron Perry all kicking two goals.

Key forward Darren Stenhouse was restricted to just one goal.

Wedderburn coach Dean Lockhart had the pain of his side's loss compounded by a striking report.

Burke said it was a great day for the league.

He predicted 4000 people would have attended, with the league recording a record gate of $30,000.

Former AFL draftee and Boort player Ashley Byrne stepped into the coaching role after a successful coaching career with Echuca in the Goulburn Valley Football League.

The Boort jumper had been embroided with the number 11 and `Whitey' in honour of their former coach.

Congratulations to Boort... one would think there were 5 clubs cheering for you! (Wyche were MIA, and obviously W'burn wanted to win)

Few Wyche fellas were there i believe, think the new coach was even there so shut your pie hole....... few St Arnaud boys in Echuca with us so button your flap about peole not going to the granny when the host of the G/F have people away.... Personally i would have went an watched the G-Train kick his bag then travel to Beefsterville

I was actually hoping that the BFL Grand Final was sunday like it used to be, so i could watch both.

Speaking of the G-Train, rumour has it that he could be making his return to the NCFL, along with a good mate from Eaglehawk. this means he will be the first 'real' Full Forward at Charlton since Phil Bramley

I was actually hoping that the BFL Grand Final was sunday like it used to be, so i could watch both.

Speaking of the G-Train, rumour has it that he could be making his return to the NCFL, along with a good mate from Eaglehawk. this means he will be the first 'real' Full Forward at Charlton since Phil Bramley

Go back to charlton???? or stay at the Burr and go back to back to back????? I know what I'd be doing. Charlton would want a fair box of crackers with alot of cheese to get his mate........

Go back to charlton???? or stay at the Burr and go back to back to back????? I know what I'd be doing. Charlton would want a fair box of crackers with alot of cheese to get his mate........

I think you will find that there will be a few on the move from Eaglehawk over summer Truck. Would be good to see the big fella return to his home club rather than just go to the highest bidder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back