Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...offer-for-jordan-de-goey-20180627-p4zo1s.html

Personally, I don't think he's worth 1M a year yet. I would rather spend that money on Kelly or Shiel as they are more the type of player that we need.

I'd be OK if this makes Collingwood hurt to pay him overs to keep him. Makes it harder for them to secure Lynch too.

There are only so many times you can be rejected with big offers to big name players before you become an 'anti-destination club'.

From the article Saints have offered something in the same vicinity though i wouldnt have thought theyd have a dog in the hunt.

Does North announcing big money offers like this scare off potential trades though? This strategy didnt work with Kelly or Martin, what makes them think it'd work with De Goey? Or is this more a PR exercise to shake off the perception they are a cash strapped club?

North should get an AFLPA award. Selflessly getting players get more money with no benefit to themselves.
Just doing our bit for equalisation by forcing clubs to pay more to keep their own players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does North announcing big money offers like this scare off potential trades though?

I'd be running with the angle that this is a player manager/journo fabricated story.

And look, surprise, surprise..................whis is De Goeys Manager? Why.............it's Ben NIALL!

...........and who broke this story? Hey.............I know that...........it was The Age

...........and who Is Ben Niall's brother? Why.........that would be Jake NIALL..........who just happens to work at..............THE AGE!

What an amazing coincidence!

From the article Saints have offered something in the same vicinity though i wouldnt have thought theyd have a dog in the hunt.

Does North announcing big money offers like this scare off potential trades though? This strategy didnt work with Kelly or Martin, what makes them think it'd work with De Goey? Or is this more a PR exercise to shake off the perception they are a cash strapped club?
I'd give them some credit. It's more likely the players manager. Pretty sure it was for Kelly.

Yeah, we also announced what St Kilda has offered... we haven't announce shit.

His manager announced it, I assume he is ready to start negotiations with Collingwood and wants them to informally know just how far off they are at present and that there are at least two significant parties interested in him. That way when they roll up for talks they don't want to be looking at a $750k top end offer.

I'd be running with the angle that this is a player manager/journo fabricated story.

And look, surprise, surprise..................whis is De Goeys Manager? Why.............it's Ben NIALL!

...........and who broke this story? Hey.............I know that...........it was The Age

...........and who Is Ben Niall's brother? Why.........that would be Jake NIALL..........who just happens to work at..............THE AGE!

What an amazing coincidence!

Not saying what youve posted isnt without credit, but that sort of player contract negotiation strategy would see him with a burnt reputation pretty quickly. Boy who cried wolf and all that.

To add further credit to you post though, the linked article in the above article about Gubby Allen consulting with North to land them a big fish was written by Jake Niall... The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, we also announced what St Kilda has offered... we haven't announce shit.

His manager announced it, I assume he is ready to start negotiations with Collingwood and wants them to informally know just how far off they are at present and that there are at least two significant parties interested in him. That way when they roll up for talks they don't want to be looking at a $750k top end offer.

I agree. But 1M a year for 5 years isnt completely outlandish for De Goey if your club wants to get him. It'd be a shit move if Carlton offered that but we're in a completely different position.

I agree. But 1M a year for 5 years isnt completely outlandish for De Goey if your club wants to get him. It'd be a shit move if Carlton offered that but we're in a completely different position.
Wouldnt surprise me if we offered something like that to him. We do have to fill cap space somewhere.

But i dont think it was us that leaked this info either. But that has been mentioned several times already

For a guy averaging 18 disposals, JDG isn't getting 5 million from North. Kelly on the other hand or Gaff on good money. North need genuine mids, not part-time mids, we've already got a few of them.

The player manager's linking everyone to North sthick is getting a little old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back