North make $5m offer for Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North were vocal about offering Kelly and Martin a lot of money - other clubs weren't. But I agree with you on it not being wrong to do that. Its perfectly fine to offer top level players a top level dollar. Is De Goey that player? That is something North will assess between now and the end of the year, and if they deem him to be then we might see a big offer again. I like what North are doing. They know they need an elite mid and they are going all out to get one. Good on them. I hope they land one this trade period.
you are just saying that because you know saints have no one north would want to poach lol

I think its a lot to do with the principle of it all. Basically going all out in the middle of a season to prise away players.

Sport is becoming more and more a business...but people dont like it. North are seen as the badguys.

To be honest it’s ridiculous if people think North somehow started that. Judd went to Carlton as the skipper and best player of his former club, Buddy to Swans, Ablett to GC etc.
Trades happen, why wouldn’t North offer guns good money to fill list requirements? Not sure what the big deal is.

If North send over Ben Brown then feel free to pay JDG whatever you want. Short of that what other trade pieces would attract Collingwood? (Its not North are getting a great draft pick this year).

I think the most likely outcome will be Jordan goes for a 3yr deal on lower money, and then banks on himself hitting that Dusty range once he hita Free Agency proper (and who knows what the market will look like then).

I really think he's worth 5-600k right now. The Pies may offer up to about 700 (surely not much more). Him and his manager need to make a call on what he values.

But is he really worth $1m. Either North are into taking some massive risks in FA or they've got way too much cap space to know what to do with. (Surely Browns manager should be looking at this and demanding his client gets a giant pay rise)... or Niall is just leaking "stories" to the media to try and pressure Collingwood. I think history has shown the Pies wont cave much.

To be honest it’s ridiculous if people think North somehow started that. Judd went to Carlton as the skipper and best player of his former club, Buddy to Swans, Ablett to GC etc.
Trades happen, why wouldn’t North offer guns good money to fill list requirements? Not sure what the big deal is.

None of those trades were known until they were done. There was a lot of speculation about Ablett leaving, but the details werent known until after pen had been put to paper. Same with Buddy, Swans pulled a swifty and beat GWS at the last minute. Judd straight up said he was leaving and picked who he wanted. Collingwood were the media favourites until it was officially announced he was coming to us.

Its a fair offer I think because you'd have to entice him across the line but its poor form from the manager to leak it. Reminds me of of the shit David Cloke used to pull with Collingwood every time Travis's contract was up for renewal.

Nick Coffield. Future star of the league.
Love coffield. And rate him very highly.

Id also be surprised if we arent trying to test the waters on billings and gresham

Edit: dont think we are trying to get coffield. Wasnt implying that.

Don’t think North leaked this. But unsure why people think it’s so wrong to offer players big contracts in any case. Future stars won’t leave for small coin. We’ve got cash to spare, why not make offers. People just enjoy pretending that the big names only turn North down, when in reality Martin & Kelly turned multiple suitors down.

Is it true that North have some of the worst facilities in the league, plus play in front of small crowds and have a low chance of a premiership over the next few years?

Can't see how North is an attractive club to move to.

Is it true that North have some of the worst facilities in the league, plus play in front of small crowds and have a low chance of a premiership over the next few years?

Thats why the publicity drive is on with "operation destination club"
From young guns in the darft to established guns in the system, no one wants to go to Arden st, even Sam Kekovich said the same tonight on the Front Bar, initially he was gutted he didnt end up at Carlton and was picked up by North. 50 years on and nothing has changed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I'm Collingwood and North offers two first round picks and a million a year for De Goey, I'm accepting that.

He's a loose cannon who Collingwood came an inch away from publicly sacking before the season. Two first round picks would be a great result for a player who has no more room to mess up, particularly given his indiscretions tend to be serious ones.

If I'm Collingwood and North offers two first round picks and a million a year for De Goey, I'm accepting that.

He's a loose cannon who Collingwood came an inch away from publicly sacking before the season. Two first round picks would be a great result for a player who has no more room to mess up, particularly given his indiscretions tend to be serious ones.

I think the "loose cannon" stuff is in a much better place now than 6 months ago. The club has very much been taking the line that they don't want him to change his personality, because that mongrel in him is great on the footy field, but they wanted him to make better choices and channel those things better.
(Probably a much softer example of where Dusty was 4-5 years ago when his manager tried to shop him around with no takers).

As for the salary/picks. I dont see the Pies trying to match 1m. They will have their limit (Im guessing 750 - but they wont be offering that just yet I reckon).
Would 2 first rounders do it? Depends on where North finish this year. If they stay in the top 8 then no, i wouldn't do it without another sweetener - you also wouldn't rely on getting a pick any better than about 10 next year. Drop to 12-14 on the ladder and yeah you would probably take it. (But would North do it then?)

Last edited:
I suppose I can't talk much with blues possibly having paid overs for keeping Charlie Curnow (though performances like most recent can prove otherwise). But one thing I notice my club doing which I like is that they look to be trying to find the line between inflated contracts and the loss of strong value. They're seeking reasonable pay and team balance/equality.

Paying 5 million for a player like De Goey seems fairly extreme. It leaves me worrying about the rest of the list and how it's managed. I wonder what certain teammates would be thinking if the supposed lure was a success.

But is he really worth $1m.

No, but the Collingwood supporter who put this story in The Age (Gleeson) on behalf of the Collingwood Football Club figured it was a good guess to help drain the swamp.

The strategy behind North allowing these things to play out in public year on year might be to entice other potential targets. But it must be disheartening to supporters when the players knock back their mega offers every year.

It's bold and good luck to them. They are a more attractive destination than this time 12 months ago.

You all realise that we have around 3.5 million in cap space next year. We have front loaded 3 million this year alone ( we could pay both kelly and dusty) If we get no-one this year, the offer for Shiel next yr as a free agent will be insane .

No, it’s not true. Arden St has had significant upgrades in recent years.

You didn’t answer my post anyway, all I pointed out was that Martin and Kelly turned down multiple clubs, not just North.

How do you figure the “low chance of a premiership over the next few years”? The Dogs paid Tom Boyd $1m a year when they were looking like being down the bottom for some time. Did you pick them to win the flag after their 2014/5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back