Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

AFL Club Focus

What priority picks should North get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I think there is some risk of North becoming a Melbourne version of the Suns. They have a number of talented young players. Unfortunately they will become targets of other Clubs. They will struggle to retain what they have .
Our player retention has been amazing the last 10 years. Not sure we have lost too many we were desperate to retain.

Brown, Wells, Greenwood, Higgins we thanked them and wished them well.

Less than 5 it should be 1 & 2. Our results over 3 years is worse than the Suns over 3 years leading into the 2019 priority picks.
The point of making it pick 19 is that it's not a good enough pick to incentivise tanking but it's helpful in a rebuild a la Brisbane Lions (per the article).

The point of making it pick 19 is that it's not a good enough pick to incentivise tanking but it's helpful in a rebuild a la Brisbane Lions (per the article).
They got picks 1 & 20 in 2019 and 11 in 2020.

If our results are worse than the suns then pick 19 is a joke. We have a very strong case with a 4 win season for pick 1.

If our results are worse than the suns then pick 19 is a joke. We have a very strong case with a 4 win season for pick 1.
Gc should never have received such a level of assistance

The Suns had been terrible for a decade by then.

Gc should never have received such a level of assistance
Agree. But it will be used as leverage by our management to get something decent. You can’t give the Suns all that and then hand out pick 19 for a team that has performed worse over a 3 year period.

I think we have a great case for 1&2 with a 4 win season.

Agreed. And I think 1st round picks are a premium, I wouldn't want a potentially watered down pick after a club that has been inept gets an additional reward for said ineptitude. I think barring F/S, the 1st round should be sacrosanct. What is probably a better option and may not impact the equalisation of the draft would be the ability to pre-list mature age players which can then be on traded for picks or retained, or picks in the 2nd round. These 2nd round picks have value for clubs looking to increase their points for academy and FS

Agree. But it will be used as leverage by our management to get something decent. You can’t give the Suns all that and then hand out pick 19 for a team that has performed worse over a 3 year period.

I think we have a great case for 1&2 with a 4 win season.

Unless you lose every game for the rest of the season by an average margin of 10 goals, there is no foreseeable way that you will get picks 1 and 2.

Riley Beveridge of Afl.com.au is putting it out there that pick 19 (end of first round) is most probably the likely outcome if you get a PP.
Also there is no guarantee you will finish last anyway.

Unless you lose every game for the rest of the season by an average margin of 10 goals, there is no foreseeable way that you will get picks 1 and 2.

Riley Beveridge of Afl.com.au is putting it out there that pick 19 (end of first round) is most probably the likely outcome if you get a PP.
Also there is no guarantee you will finish last anyway.
Finishing last is not a factor. Wins is more important. 3 in 20, 4 in 21 and another 3 or 4 this year has the biggest impact. Imo we are a chance to get better than 19.

I think a big reason GC got such big compo was also to do with them maxing out their salary cap showing they were doing everything to try and keep and bring in players. It’s hard for North to really say that if the AFL know they have been front loading contracts, paying 95% etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just as an aside, we finished last in 2019 so were to receive pick 1 anyway.

We were gifted pick 2 for compensation surely.

Just as an aside, we finished last in 2019 so were to receive pick 1 anyway.

We were gifted pick 2 for compensation surely.
Your natural pick 1 became pick 2. You were awarded a priority pick at pick 1.

Its three years of draft assistance includes:

• Pick No.1 at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently pick No.20) at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • Mid first-round pick (currently pick No.11) at the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently Pick.19) at the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.

Your natural pick 1 became pick 2. You were awarded a priority pick at pick 1.

Its three years of draft assistance includes:

• Pick No.1 at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently pick No.20) at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • Mid first-round pick (currently pick No.11) at the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently Pick.19) at the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.
Ok.
I don’t really understand that.
Seems like it was put that way for the optics rather than the reality of the situation.
We would have had pick 1 anyway.
It was pick 2 that suddenly became available when we were granted the package.

For what it’s worth. I dont think we should have received anywhere near that much (if anything at all)
And I don’t think north should receive anything either.

So many highly rated young players already with:
Phillips, jhf, Thomas, larkey, edwards, goater, comben, powell, Taylor, CCJ, plus top 3 pick 2022.

Supported by the older
Zurhaar, Stephenson, Mackay, simpkin, ldu, xerri

That’s a pretty good (at least highly rated) young core as it is.

With the solid senior crew Greenwood, corr, Anderson, turner, McDonald, goldy even hall.

I think they’ll get better on their own fairly quickly.

I don't see how anyone can possibly compare Gold Coast's situation to North's currently or possibly imagine NMFC will get anything cloze to the Suns rescue package.

Pick 19 and possibly access to two state league league players is the best North can hope for.

The sad fact is, the AFL is simply not interested in being invested in helping (financially or draft assistance) North as much as they do The Suns.

North simply have not been down the bottom of the ladder long enough to warrant the type of assistance some North fans here want.

I honestly think North need their off field footy dept bolstered, like how the AFL put Roos and Peter Jackson to fix that damaged club for a few years.

That would be a far more sustainable and better type of rescue package than getting a Priority Pick anyway.

As a Carlton fan, believe me, all the high draft and priority picks won't help until you get the right people in charge of running rye footy club.

I don't see how anyone can possibly compare Gold Coast's situation to North's currently or possibly imagine NMFC will get anything cloze to the Suns rescue package.

Pick 19 and possibly access to two state league league players is the best North can hope for.

The sad fact is, the AFL is simply not interested in being invested in helping (financially or draft assistance) North as much as they do The Suns.

North simply have not been down the bottom of the ladder long enough to warrant the type of assistance some North fans here want.

I honestly think North need their off field footy dept bolstered, like how the AFL put Roos and Peter Jackson to fix that damaged club for a few years.

That would be a far more sustainable and better type of rescue package than getting a Priority Pick anyway.

As a Carlton fan, believe me, all the high draft and priority picks won't help until you get the right people in charge of running rye footy club.

Our footy department is pretty new. Very premature to worry about that. In fact you mention Paul Roos who just stepped back his involvement.

The simplicity of it is we’re two years into a deep rebuild that should have been committed to three years earlier.

As for what the AFL (or North for that matter) does nobody knows. Not a person in this thread, not a person paid by AFL.com.

We won’t get their package but if we win less games over 3 years you can compare.

I have no doubt we will be putting in a submission for help. The outcome will be interesting.

Our footy department is pretty new. Very premature to worry about that. In fact you mention Paul Roos who just stepped back his involvement.

The simplicity of it is we’re two years into a deep rebuild that should have been committed to three years earlier.

As for what the AFL (or North for that matter) does nobody knows. Not a person in this thread, not a person paid by AFL.com.

Personally I would be fine with North getting another top 5 pick myself, but just can't see it happening based on the current stringent criteria as I know it.

Also (I may be wrong about this) but the other clubs signed off/agreed to the Gold Coast rescue package, which imo,should be wound back/stopped after this season.

Still think it is way too early in the season to be discussing it, especially from two reporters from afl.com.au.

Not good morale for North Players or membership crew either if everyone in the media is saying North are a basketcase who need draft assistance only 5 games into the season.

Should have waited until after the bye round.

I think North can win 6 or 7 games this year tbh, it's a **** patch now, but right now I think this is the worst/most painful part/stretch of your rebuild.

North fans have to be patient and tough these next couple of months.

Important for the Roos players (and supporters) not to buy into the negative/defeatist gloom the Media are selling.

You guys are in better shape, list wise, than when we sacked Malthouse IMO

Finishing last is not a factor. Wins is more important. 3 in 20, 4 in 21 and another 3 or 4 this year has the biggest impact. Imo we are a chance to get better than 19.
certainly are - 3 or 4 wins this year is pick 1 territory. The team that finishes just above you gets pick 2. No way should a priority pick be on the table at all ever for any club. You guys have got plenty of good youth there - get the back of house in order...thats the priority

Personally I would be fine with North getting another top 5 pick myself, but just can't see it happening based on the current stringent criteria as I know it.

Also (I may be wrong about this) but the other clubs signed off/agreed to the Gold Coast rescue package, which imo,should be wound back/stopped after this season.

Still think it is way too early in the season to be discussing it, especially from two reporters from afl.com.au.

Not good morale for North Players or membership crew either if everyone in the media is saying North are a basketcase who need draft assistance only 5 games into the season.

Should have waited until after the bye round.

I think North can win 6 or 7 games this year tbh, it's a **** patch now, but right now I think this is the worst/most painful part/stretch of your rebuild.

North fans have to be patient and tough these next couple of months.

Important for the Roos players (and supporters) not to buy into the negative/defeatist gloom the Media are selling.

You guys are in better shape, list wise, than when we sacked Malthouse IMO
Which criteria do we miss? Recent flags? Recent finals? Amount of wins in recent seasons? %?

These are the criteria - we tick every box.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

Back