North Melbourne and Hobart games

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes lets sell a little more of our soul again. That worked well last time. :stern look

Funny how we can play in front of a little over 10,000 and supposedly make a Million but play in front of 30,000 at Idiot Stadium and make 30 cents. :stern look

How abouts Brainiac Brayshaws get us a better Stadium Deal at Idiot as opposed to selling more games interstate. :stern look

Yep. Lets build up our secondary market. As for our primary market...... :Wonder Woman Look

Primary market is well catered for Zondor, as it has been since the club began. As it happens the primary market is not big enough to be sustainable, and never will be will other sports taking that % of growth.

The club is doing the right thing, and finally chosen an AFL market to grow into which is completely different to prior ventures which were failures before they even started. I'll get one of those stern look things, but it is the way to move forward.....

Primary market is well catered for Zondor, as it has been since the club began. As it happens the primary market is not big enough to be sustainable, and never will be will other sports taking that % of growth.

The club is doing the right thing, and finally chosen an AFL market to grow into which is completely different to prior ventures which were failures before they even started. I'll get one of those stern look things, but it is the way to move forward.....
Remind me again how many attended to NMFC vs Freo game last season at Idiot Stadium? Ignore the Primary Market at our own peril. After all the last time I checked we were called the North Melbourne Football Club. :stern look

Remind me again how many attended to NMFC vs Freo game last season at Idiot Stadium? Ignore the Primary Market at our own peril. After all the last time I checked we were called the North Melbourne Football Club. :stern look

That was a unique game with home ground final on the line, and after numerous wins in a row - I suspect you already knew that Zondor.

No one is saying ignore Melb (your opinion of "primary" market i'm assuming), but about satisfying there along with growing secondary markets for all the benefits Mr Blonde has indicated above if it can work.

Yes, last time I checked we were called North Melbourne FC, but when was the last time we played in North Melbourne? Are you saying we don't play at Etihad either?

Seems pretty stupid to whinge about the stadium deal then also whinge about playing games interstate.

Why? We should just bend over and take it without having a whinge? :p

With all the talks about equalisation, we may be penalised for selling games and being more financially competitive than Bulldogs or Demons.

As I said, I would prefer we wait for the washup of those talks before making a decision on future games. Our eyes should be on what happens when Docklands comes into AFL hands. We need to be able to generate 40-50k supporters to games every week by then. Are we doing everything in our power to grow our market share here and build to that?

Melbourne has something like 30k+ immigrants each year, something like 100k foreign students every year, some stay on and apply for citizenship, others go back home. There is a significant pool of new people, do we target them? What are we doing to turn them into supporters and members?

Then factor that growth over 10 or 15 years. We are giving the market away if we do not work hard enough to get a foothold in the new market.

If we just roll over and concede defeat then we are dead already and might as well have taken the cash on the gold coast.

That was a unique game with home ground final on the line, and after numerous wins in a row - I suspect you already knew that Zondor.

No one is saying ignore Melb (your opinion of "primary" market i'm assuming), but about satisfying there along with growing secondary markets for all the benefits Mr Blonde has indicated above if it can work.

Yes, last time I checked we were called North Melbourne FC, but when was the last time we played in North Melbourne? Are you saying we don't play at Etihad either?
So what's the end game Saints? Play games in both Melbourne and Hobart for ever and a day? Slowly increase the Tasmanian games over time at the expense of the Melbourne games for the sake of developing this Secondary Market? A Market that by your own admission is filled with people who already support other AFL clubs. Sounds like a plan. :stern look

Believe it or not I do have a financial background and understand the need to balance the books. Playing games in Hobart helps us achieve this for now. The reason why we don't make the coin we should out of our Melbourne games is because of our Stadium Deal. Compare what we make out of a crowd of 25,000 with what Geelong would make out of a crowd of 25,000 prior to the development of their stadium. Shit compare what we make out of a crowd of 10,000 in Hobart compared to what we make out of a crowd of 25,000 in Melbourne. Can you understand why it shits me that we must sell games interstate? The ****en stadium deal we have at the minute sucks. Sure we are compensated in part by the AFL but it still sucks. So yeah I'm not happy when there is talk of playing additional games in Hobart. I would like for our President to be proactive in getting us better coin out of our Melbourne games as opposed to the easy option of selling our soul in the name of developing a Seconday Market.

Melbourne has something like 30k+ immigrants each year, something like 100k foreign students every year, some stay on and apply for citizenship, others go back home. There is a significant pool of new people, do we target them? What are we doing to turn them into supporters and members?

Have you heard of The Huddle? Or the community bays at home games?

Have you heard of The Huddle? Or the community bays at home games?

Good programs but selling games undermines the progress we do make. AFL is coming out with more and more shit teams so we are more reliant on our own supporter base.

It doesn't matter if we play long term out of melbourne, tasmania, or somewhere else. We need a large supporter base and a large attendance pool irrespective where we play. We make a bit of extra money atm on the side at Tasmania but we are undermining our ability to become strong in any one place.

Our club should bite the bullet and make the call. Is it going to be Melbourne or is it going to be elsewhere? If it is going to be here then you need to make a bigger commitment than a 2 year effort during a rebuilding phase.

We have literally learnt nothing from our mistakes in the past and we are going to repeat the same shit until we are forced into the same predicament and I have doubts we will dodge the bullet the second time around. You can drink from JB's kool-aid but it is not going to be the promised land.

The most important factor in us developing our home market is not how many gams we end up playing in Tassie but how many wins we get overall. Win games and we will win back old fans and get on board new fans.

Look at the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most important factor in us developing our home market is not how many gams we end up playing in Tassie but how many wins we get overall. Win games and we will win back old fans and get on board new fans.

Look at the Hawks.

If we win they will come.

I wish we didn't have to play more homes games away from Melbourne. I'm all for it, if it's the only sure way of getting more money, to then better resource our football dept. What is disappointing though is my membership will give me less in 2014 , though a Melbourne supporter doesn't need to take the same hit because the AFL are just going to hand them the money.

I wish we didn't have to play more homes games away from Melbourne. I'm all for it, if it's the only sure way of getting more money, to then better resource our football dept. What is disappointing though is my membership will give me less in 2014 , though a Melbourne supporter doesn't need to take the same hit because the AFL are just going to hand them the money.
Yep, time to revisit the maxim "Cheats never prosper" eh?

I don't really see it as "priority". There are members/supporters from all over Aust and no doubt overseas - it just so happens there is obviously far more in Melb as it is our home.

But to suggest it is about pleasing Melb fans first is not correct IMO. I think the club should be doing it all it can to for the best result for all concerned, and in doing so the majority being Melb fans should see those benefits.

I do 100% agree though if it moves to 3 or 4 games in Hobart then memberships need to be tailored well to reflect that change - sounds like some of this "replacement game" hasn't worked well so far, the club should be notified in this instance.

I don't mind more games in Tassie aslong as the membership is altered correctly and those you pay for level 1 or 2 get seats on those levels get them when replacement games are played. Hate level 3 at Etihad lol

I don't mind more games in Tassie aslong as the membership is altered correctly and those you pay for level 1 or 2 get seats on those levels get them when replacement games are played. Hate level 3 at Etihad lol
Stand with the ferals on the ground level.

Some of the best fun I've had at the footy has been standing there after a few beers.

I was next to the North Melb cheer squad all year. Little to no scum was present all year

Yeah? You'd think he would've been up to his ears with the ASADA investigation at his own club FFS.

Seriously sick to death of this crap. Has anyone taken any notice of the record membership numbers we keep topping. Clearly theres enough football followers in melbourne to support all the vic teams we just haven't got the right people in place to take advantage of this fact. Big teams like collingwood added another 35k in last 4 years. Thats not a result of a free contraception program failure so please stop feeding the 5.7 million victorians the crap that we have to many vic teams. Sydney gold coast gws and brisbane will never ever have enough supporters to compete with the big clubs because we are the sporting capital. I like tassie and have been to all our home games there but 10 k tassie supporters would only be nice as an extra. No offence meant but theres no chance of getting to the 50/60 k fans required to fully fund a tassie team and if we keep on the path of revenue growth to compete with the big clubs we will need 100k supporters in 5 years time. When will enough money be enough The answer is never. The afl better work out quick smart how any club with less than 50k fans can survive or the only interstate teams left will be crows eagles power and dockers.

Long term, we all know Tassie want their own team, or a fully relocated team.

So to continue to rely on the Tassie games as part of our long term survival is fraught with danger, because long term, Tassie will want more than 4 games a year.

The other market North Melbourne has committed themselves to is Ballarat.

And I think, this is the market that can save the NMFC.

If down the track, a Government can commit the funds to redevelop Nth Ballarat oval, then following the Geelong model, a 15 to 20,000 crowd might generate a reasonable return.

We can play 4 games a year there, a clean stadium and make a decent return.

In addition, it gives us exposure to the NW Melbourne to Ballarat and beyond population. We can turn this into Kangaroos territory...

But this is all pending getting Government funding to redevelop Nth Ballarat oval.

This may not happen in the short term, but with a change in government, who knows....

Until then, we need to maximise our opportunity to make good money in Tassie and eradicate our debt.

Our future is not Tasmania, it is Ballarat.

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne and Hobart games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back