AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

In all honesty I didn’t expect to see Jassie win it simply based on previous experience, also as some have said Ash and Jas do so well at doing what they do it means they naturally feed off each others votes.

Jas is better than Ash (we are lucky to have both and sure need to keep them here until they both retire) but sadly for awards like this they do tend to both play blinders of games together.

I’m not saying that Jas should never win she damn well should but while we have Ash, Brutes and even Mia in there they just keep racking up the stats.

Also as has been said until the comp evens out someone who plays in a shit team overall but trounces the lesser teams will get the accolades, simply because they are out there in the spotlight, imagine Jas playing for a mid level team with little talent around her to take points and that team smashing the bottom teams week in week out.

She would be racking up 40 possies a game and sure as hell win it, the coaches votes to my mind are always more fair and more reflective of the impact that a player has on the game and competition overall.

It’s just a shame that a bunch of umpires get to decide the best and fairest award that supposedly has more prestige..

I thought O'Loughlin played one of her better games today.....

Agreed. She has games where she gets busy and plays an important link-up role without hitting the scoreboard. Sunday was one of those days.

Also, props to Crocker for instructing Bella Eddey to push way up the ground to provide an extra at a lot of the stoppages. Watching the replay I really thought it made a significant difference, particularly later in the game.

Craven's a great kick of the footy

Pulled out some absolute rippers on the weekend.

Gatty has been outstanding. The bump from Randall at the end would have sent her flying last season but she was good enough to stay in the contest. She’s been a revelation

The defensive work of both her and Pullar flies under the radar but it shouldn't. It's an important component in our system and structure.

But yeah, Gatt appears to have flicked some kind of switch this season. She's discovered the confidence to take the game on and has shown some neat evasive skills in doing so. And despite her small frame, she seems to genuinely relish tackling and the physical stuff these days. (Enjoyed seeing her fly the flag, too, by giving Randall a nice old shove.)

Her development has definitely been one of the big positives this year, personnel-wise. And I have a feeling there's plenty of improvement still to come for her.

Last edited:

2023 AFLW Best and Fairest leaderboard​

Monique Conti (Richmond) - 23 votes
Amy McDonald (Geelong) - 16
Chloe Molloy (Sydney) - 16
Ash Riddell (North Melbourne) - 16
Claudia Whitefort (Gold Coast) - 16

North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos leaders​

Ash Riddell - 16 votes
Jas Garner - 14
Emma King - 6
Tahlia Randall - 6
Emma Kearney - 3

Conti's a gun. Any other comment is plain silly. But here's the problem. To win is one thing, but she's won with nearly 50% more votes than those who ran in second. She's received 23 of a possible 30 votes - equivalent to a 53 votes in the Brownlow. That's the season of someone who has absolutely dominated everything. That's Dusty Martin in 2017 and then some. That's her breaking all sorts of statistical records. That's her paying $1.01 for this award. For a team who missed finals with a 5-5 record. That's the whole football world being gobsmacked week after week of her achievements.

What it is though is a bunch of umpires coming off the ground, exhausted and with no access to stats asking each other who played well and having no clue. And in AFLW they may have no clue who most the players actually are. But they know Mon Conti is Richmond's best player so yeah, we noticed her, here's some votes.

Conti's a gun. Any other comment is plain silly. But here's the problem. To win is one thing, but she's won with nearly 50% more votes than those who ran in second. She's received 23 of a possible 30 votes - equivalent to a 53 votes in the Brownlow. That's the season of someone who has absolutely dominated everything. That's Dusty Martin in 2017 and then some. That's her breaking all sorts of statistical records. That's her paying $1.01 for this award. For a team who missed finals with a 5-5 record. That's the whole football world being gobsmacked week after week of her achievements.

What it is though is a bunch of umpires coming off the ground, exhausted and with no access to stats asking each other who played well and having no clue. And in AFLW they may have no clue who most the players actually are. But they know Mon Conti is Richmond's best player so yeah, we noticed her, here's some votes.
I think you are dead right with that.

It also seems that Kelli might have had the inside word on Sunday the way she spoke.

I think you are dead right with that.

It also seems that Kelli might have had the inside word on Sunday the way she spoke.
Or it might reflect that, despite the fact she says some weird stuff, she watches and knows things -she said Riddell had her best season and it was very possible that she and Garner would split the votes, and that’s what happened.

I reckon Marinoff and Hatchard are ok with sharing votes and missing the medal because they get to share premierships. Garner and Riddell will be the same if this weekend goes their way.

This is what we should be complaining to the league about.

We are about to play in a grand final and they could not get our logo right.

It is completely disrespectful.
100% this.

What a farcical situation.

that my friend shows how inept and influenced by certain parts of AFLW media these officials are…it should be an award solely based with stats as jas killed her on that day.
The way they vote, apparently favouring certain players above others is also the way they officiate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way they vote, apparently favouring certain players above others is also the way they officiate.
Yeah let's be honest ... if the umps don't see all the holding and high stuff she has to deal with there is no was they'll give her votes.

It wasn't just us though. They got logos wrong all over the place last night.
Which is all the more reason to complain about it.

The odd one wrong is not a problem, it happens.

Round on round of error is absolutely problematic.

It makes it seem amateur.

It looks like the page doesn't exist.

JASMINE GARNER​

296154.png

VS​

1010104.png

MONIQUE CONTI​

PER GAME AVERAGES
PlayerGamesToG (%)KHDDE (%)MTHOFFFACLRMGGAsGBFA
Jasmine Garner7485.013.46.319.864.64.04.70.01.40.63.8318.80.50.80.589.1
Monique Conti6189.411.310.221.560.62.34.70.01.91.54.4296.50.20.30.479.9
ADVANCED PER GAME AVERAGES
PlayerGamesCPUCPi50M50R50T50TOICM1%CCSCCBSISG
Jasmine Garner7410.29.74.10.81.41.14.43.40.60.81.32.52.60.04.31.6
Monique Conti6112.29.83.20.31.50.85.03.80.30.81.43.04.10.82.81.0
TOTALS
PlayerGamesKHDMTHOFFFACLRMGGAsGBFA
Jasmine Garner749954671462299347210142282235913762396592
Monique Conti616906201310140289011690268180881319264872
ADVANCED TOTALS
PlayerGamesCPUCPi50M50R50T50TOICM1%CCSCCBSISG
Jasmine Garner7475671630160106783232534656961861920315115
Monique Conti617475951971891483032321949861822504617162

So the AFLW gf is a sell out, why isn’t this game scheduled at Colonial Dome?
I was just talking about it on the main board. Many reasons, but politics is way up there.

The AFL still want more money for further upgrades to what is supposed to be "the home of women's football". I think the state govt, having already poured in $35m recently, would be pretty pissed and rather non-compliant in further negotiations, if a game like this was moved to Marvel which already sees plenty of action.

The club insta account @nmfcofficial has seven photos of male players attending the PF., one about how the girls would be wearing black armbands in honor of Gordon McDonald and Father Gerard Dowling, one announcing we are in the GF. And none of the actual game (or post-game) itself. It has eight photos of the last men's training session.

The next step to respecting the women's team and the women's game would to recognise that the Club does not equal the men's team. nmfcofficial should represent the Club not just the men. When we say otherwise it goes back to all the stereotypes about the default being male.

It's all good to have areas focusing on the mens team - and it's even understandable if those areas get more investment and attention - but the achievements of the women's team is the biggest news the CLUB has and should be dominating attention in CLUB spaces. While it remains less than that, we are still treating the women as special guests rather than as core to the fabric of the club.

For all our gender advances this is a huge gap.

(And yes I know there is a nmfcwomens but that's the point)

This is starting to really piss me off.

Since I posted the above, in GRAND FINAL WEEK, the nmfcofficial insta account has added:
  • a video and three photos of the W awards. Not about Kearney making 8 AAs. Not about Riddell coming second. Not even about Garner missing out. About Sheezel presenting the Rising Star.
  • about Michael Firrito's 40th birthday
  • about Amy Smith having a dad that played for North.

Could there be any stronger message that the club is about men, even the women's part?

Chadwiko giantroo any others with connections... How can I get this message to someone that cares?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back