AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Great start by the women’s team . Whether people like it or not they are leading Our Club out of the mire . We should all embrace them and support them whole heartedley. Go The Mighty Roos

Close quarters: Can the Roos' AFLW success help their AFL team?​

The Kangaroos' AFLW team is one of the most consistent in the competition, and they might be showing the men's team how it's done
By Sarah Black

NORTH Melbourne's men's team had a horror first half of the year, losing all 11 matches before its bye.

The freshen-up afforded by the week off and natural improvement were credited for the following purple patch, which saw the Roos win two of the next five. Two of the losses were by a cumulative four points.

But maybe there was a third, previously uncredited element that helped to give the side a boost.

I suppose the way both our programs aligned with our schedules, we were training on the same days. North's facilities are great, but they're small. We got together and had a chat on how we can best utilise each other and feed off each other," North Melbourne women's skipper Emma Kearney told AFL.com.au.

"Our first training session we had, the boys came on after we were done, and we had a bit of a joint training session. The energy was high. It was just after the bye, so the boys had come off a bad stretch of performances. So, I think the injection of our energy coming into the group was really strong.

"My involvement in the men's program (as a development coach) helps with that connection too, being able to bring one another together.

"We've got a really young list in the men's, and we've also got some really young players in the women's, so it's actually really nice to see them coming through the pathways together and having some banter together when they pass in the hallways, or when the day's out, and they're in the sauna together having a bit of a laugh or a genuine conversation."

Not saying it happened in this instance but I hate the new instinct in the men’s to make sure your head hits the ground - even if there is no sling and even if you have an arm free and could prevent it - with the incentive of a free kick for a fair tackle. It shouldn’t be a free because the head hits the ground regardless of the tackling action.

Deliberate action that could potentially cause concussion should be looked at by the MRO. If any player forcefully throws their own head into the turf and it leads to a concussion, that should be a two week suspension on top of the 12 day concussion protocol.

Deliberate action that could potentially cause concussion should be looked at by the MRO. If any player forcefully throws their own head into the turf and it leads to a concussion, that should be a two week suspension on top of the 12 day concussion protocol.
I dunno. It would need to be a pretty unique individual who would purposely risk concussion for the sake of winning a “possible” free kick. When you throw in the possibility of missing up to two games going through the protocol, I think we can safely rule this out as a “thing”. Also, Alice was very unlucky. However, she did trap the player’s arm, which prevented her from breaking her fall. That’s the key point, I think. When VW threw the player to the ground, it looked worse. However, the player had both hands free and could readily protect herself.

I dunno. It would need to be a pretty unique individual who would purposely risk concussion for the sake of winning a “possible” free kick. When you throw in the possibility of missing up to two games going through the protocol, I think we can safely rule this out as a “thing”. Also, Alice was very unlucky. However, she did trap the player’s arm, which prevented her from breaking her fall. That’s the key point, I think. When VW threw the player to the ground, it looked worse. However, the player had both hands free and could readily protect herself.

I'm not suggesting the Brisbane player deliberately threw her own head onto the turf in this instance but there is no doubt players have done it.

The girls have their own "goal songs" that will be played at home games.

Sing it one and all: Roos pick 2024 goal tunes

Being a music lover who is still living in the 70's, 80's and 90's, there are some good songs on the list, but half the songs I've never heard before.

I hope Randall kicks plenty, although I'm not sure if it would be great to hear the fans join in, ;) and I'm pretty sure Emma King is just taking the piss. What an embarrassing selection.

PLAYER2024 GOAL SONG
1. Liz McGrathDumb Things - Paul Kelly
2. Libby BirchRight Here, Right Now - Fatboy Slim
3. Bella EddeyGimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) - ABBA
4. Zoe SavarirayanKhe Sanh - Cold Chisel
5. Tess CravenRush - Troye Sivan
6. Alice O’LoughlinLivin’ The (Good Life) - DJ Assault
7. Ash RiddellOld Man Emu - John Williamson
8. Taylah GattLet’s Get Loud - Jennifer Lopez
9. Emma KearneyJackie - BZ feat. Joanne
10. Blaithin BoguePedro - Jaxomy
11. Eliza ShannonSay It Right – Nelly Furtado
12. Nicole BresnehanGimme More - Britney Spears
13. Vikki WallThe Time Is Now – John Cena
14. Erika O’SheaSaints and Sinners – Paddy Casey
15. Amy SmithMacarena - Los Del Rio
16. Tahlia RandallAm I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again? - The Angels
17. Sarah WrightRevival – Zach Bryan
18. Ella SlocombeFreed From Desire - Gala
19. Ruby TripodiPump It - Black Eyed Peas
20. Jasmine FergusonFergalicious - Fergie
21. Sophie KavanaghSpinning Around – Kylie Minogue
23. Mia KingMilkumana – King Stingray
24. Lulu PullarAngels - Robbie Williams
25. Jasmine GarnerJamming - Bob Marley
26. Kim RennieWhen You Were Young - The Killers
27. Georgia StubsStayin’ Alive - Bee Gees
28. Niamh MartinI’m Shipping Up To Boston - Dropkick Murphys
29. Lucy BurkeDancing Queen - (From 'Mamma Mia!')
33. Kate ShierlawFirework - Katy Perry
35. Jenna BrutonHot Potato - The Wiggles
60. Emma KingCrazy Frog - Axel F

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back