North Melbourne got 7000 at Carrara, The Swans 3000 at Telstra Stadium. League supporters, sook.

Remove this Banner Ad

general mac

Team Captain
Suspended
Feb 19, 2007
BLOODS !!!
Other Teams
footyhead
All these League guys are saying, "Gee the Gold Coast only got 7000, so AFL footy on the Gold Coast is dead".

Well the Swans only got 3000 this weekend. Does this mean footy in Western Sydney is dead ??

I think not.

The crowds will be back in their 60' and 70 thousands at Telstra stadium and the crowds at Carrara will out strip league in the not too distant future.

All we need is a little committment from the Roos, or better still a merger deal between them and the Sharks.

All these League guys are saying, "Gee the Gold Coast only got 7000, so AFL footy on the Gold Coast is dead".

Well the Swans only got 3000 this weekend. Does this mean footy in Western Sydney is dead ??

I think not.

The crowds will be back in their 60' and 70 thousands at Telstra stadium and the crowds at Carrara will out strip league in the not too distant future.

All we need is a little committment from the Roos, or better still a merger deal between them and the Sharks.

Carrara only has a capacity of 11500. Seven thousand is not bad more than half full ;)

The Kangaroos must become the Gold Coast Kangaroos and nothing less if they are going to survive on the coast. They could really do with a face to sell the team also. If they could somehow manage to get Riewoldt, (a Gold Coaster), to return home, it would make a great difference.

The Titans have taken a foothold here. The league supporters are really getting behind the team and they have been marketed exceptionally well by the NRL both locally and in the strong league areas. However, followers of their code are traditionally a fickle bunch and any AFL person who has been to a League match will tell you how quiet their games are compared to ours. But at the moment there are little kids decked out in Titans gear all over the coast.

If the Kangaroos are going to do it they have to commit themselves one way or the other. Either stand alone in Melbourne as North Melbourne or move wholeheartedly to The Gold Coast.

League is riding high of its biggest Round 1 attendance - crock of tosspot. Big derbies and matchups are the cause of that. They will slip back to average around 17k for the entire year. AFL Round 1 I imagine will have an average of 40k+.

League is riding high of its biggest Round 1 attendance - crock of tosspot. Big derbies and matchups are the cause of that. They will slip back to average around 17k for the entire year. AFL Round 1 I imagine will have an average of 40k+.

17k would be a good average for NRL - last year it was under 16k... the way they are going they may be overtaken by the A-league next season (considering the A-league got 14k despite an average of less than 2000 for New Zealand games).

I think not.

Didn't the Eagles v Dogs at Subiaco only get 6000 ?

ummm... why are people comparing crowds at practice matches with league matches? If the NRL cant be practice matches, there is something very wrong with them.

Rugby is on a high at the moment but it wont last....they have an advantage starting early but it will fizz

did anyone catch the opener...bris v someone

they talked up NRL at least 10 times it was almost a joke

still cant get over how they market punch up's and neck breaking tackles then when someone punches on in public they are doomed....they wonder why they do it.....................NRL

They have to talk about how good the health of the game because they are worried about it....AFL dosent need too

Kangaroo's v anyone with small membership base will produce low crowds......think back to dee's v crows last year....2 interstate teams (from QLD point of view) and I couldnt move....

SO anyone who trys to tell you AFL is dead in QLD is most likely a red neck fool in denial and scared that their pre-historic game is trouble....

Local footy here on the GC is strong and getting alot stronger...hence all the drafties on the up....

OH PLEASE

Footy is growing no doubt. But for those of you who think that Rugby League is going backwards, especially in Queensland, you really do need to open the other eye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy is growing no doubt. But for those of you who think that Rugby League is going backwards, especially in Queensland, you really do need to open the other eye.

Thankyou!

Someone with a little commonsense, the Titans will get excellent crowds this season and for many to come and the AFL's only chance of coming close to them is to have a team up there full-time.

And Carrara doesn't have a capacity of 11,500, its more like 17,000....
A pre-season game there not long ago got 13,457 (GC v Penrith) and here is the top 10 attendances there since 03'

I'll try that again
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums_crowds.php?id=31

it was sydney v port at telstra stadium on a friday night in a fourth round NAB challenge match in stinkiing humid weather. who would go?

I went and I enjoyed it immensely. Despite the humid weather, it was good to see the team run around. Besides that, the game did not get one mention in any media circles up here in the lead up to Friday Night, which is quite pathetic considering that there was no league game up here.

The bias of the media up here is simply B.S, I just hope we get 65-70,000 for Round 1 and rock the socks off of the detractors:thumbsu:

it was sydney v port at telstra stadium on a friday night in a fourth round NAB challenge match in stinkiing humid weather. who would go?
That's exactly right. You can be sure they'll be a huge crowd there in 11 days time. Probably a few drug dealers too, looking to make a few sales to the eagles players. ;)

Thankyou!

Someone with a little commonsense, the Titans will get excellent crowds this season and for many to come and the AFL's only chance of coming close to them is to have a team up there full-time.

And Carrara doesn't have a capacity of 11,500, its more like 17,000....
A pre-season game there not long ago got 13,457 (GC v Penrith) and here is the top 10 attendances there since 03'

I'll try that again
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums_crowds.php?id=31

the capacity is less for the footy coz the rugby games have extra seating. Also, there isn't that much seating to start with and I know of a few people who won't go unless they can sit down, which is fair enough. Its not the best place to watch footy.

the capacity is less for the footy coz the rugby games have extra seating. Also, there isn't that much seating to start with and I know of a few people who won't go unless they can sit down, which is fair enough. Its not the best place to watch footy.

Plus i've heard its in the middle of nowhere, the seats issue is a problem as a family would not want to go if their kids have to stand.

I don't know why so many people think the two (AFL & NRL) are mutually exclusive . There isn't really any talk like that with other codes .
(OK maybe soccer) . People have really got to get it through their heads that each code will basically live or die on it's own merits .
Australian Football has made consistantly large gains over a long period of time , especially in QLD and NSW . Has it impacted on RL ? No way . The Storm , Reds and Force have been in well supported positions and it hasn't even registered against AFL . RL is the master of it's own future just like AR , RU or soccer . Didn't both codes have simutaneously record seasons recently .

I guess people just like the persisting with argument .

:mad:

I think you will find that the reason that this years round one crowd was the highest ever is because there is an extra game as well! Last year only 7 matches per round, this year 8. It's simply going to add extra numbers to the total crowd figure. The previous best total was in 1999. How many matches in 99? Eight. 2000-06 there was only seven. Add to that also as you mentioned big matchups - Brisbane/Nth Qld, Souths/Roosters, etc. The average is what counts. And the average crowd for round 1, 2007 in the NRL was 23,130. Bigger than normal, but I doubt it will continue throughout the entire season.

For what its worth I think the success of the Titans depends completely on their on-field results. Play well and win consistently and the crowds will turn up. Fail miserably and the fans will turn away. And I think thats the case in any sport up there. People of the Gold Coast - from my point of view - aren't going to be die-hard fans that turn up to every match all the time. Of course there are going to be some, but I don't think any team will get the continued support of the public - AFL or NRL... or NBL for that matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne got 7000 at Carrara, The Swans 3000 at Telstra Stadium. League supporters, sook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back