Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst there is a contingency here based on where Melbourne finish in 2020 to understand the true value of that future first, there isn't an automatic loser here.

Clearly, both Melbourne and North have specific goals here and the reality is it could be win/win. Pick 8 is a very decent pick.

In all honesty even if North got a high pick next year I'd be more lamenting our shit year than North's bonus. Good on North for being astute, Melbourne's fault for being shit. More pressure on us to perform now.

People saying risky for Melb, I think way more risky for north.

Melbourne improve & with all the academy picks, the future first could be in the teens without melb playing finals.
There's risk for both, but at least North get two good cracks at someone for a pick that isn't that high so while they lose out if Melbourne finish Top 4, it's probably not as much.

Meanwhile if Melbourne don't improve they've downgraded their first rounder and have given up a free second....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brady Rawlings has form for these kind of pick heists.

But anyway, we had four Rising Star noms last year, got a few blokes like Daw and Jacobs coming back off long term injuries.

The group responded to Shaw - let's see where everything fits, then we can hit the 2020 trading period with plenty of ammo.

(I reckon picks 26+27 might just move about a bit too)

Didn't like the news initially, but some merit for North in a few ways. We can package up our picks in the 20s this year for a teens pick or we can be a psuedo-gatekeeper next year for clubs looking for high picks or really go after someone after the North list has matured a bit more.

Rawlings is a ballsy customer.
Rawlings pulled off a couple of these kind of trades at WC and we won both of them. Creative with pick swaps.

Melbourne are more likely to struggle. Despite all the crap that happened this year, we didn't finish bottom 4. North have been largely consistent over the years, Melbourne have been way more flakey.

They might. Wouldn't be surprised if they bounced back and made finals either. Essendon were awful and came 8th this year, not sure the gap between 7 and 17 is that big.

I think it's a fine trade for North, they got more than enough value back for the pick they gave away. I just think the list is in a position where I'd rather get use the high pick now rather than in 12 months time.

Probably doesn't matter much and if Melbourne has a similar year again next year then North have smashed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Back