North Melbourne's First-round drafting since 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

A small club mired in the doldrums has always been of interest to me, so I looked through North's list and noticed a dearth of experienced players that were originally drafted by North.

So I decided to look back on North's first round drafting since 2010 and it made for some shocking reading. I'll provide three categories for the drafted players: star, serviceable or bust.

2010 - Pick 17 - Shaun Atley (serviceable)
2011 - Pick 18 - Brad Mackenzie (bust)
2012 - Pick 15 - Taylor Garner (bust)
2013 - Pick 8 - Luke McDonald (serviceable - severe whipping boy though)
2014 - Pick 16 - Sam Durdin (bust)
2015 - Pick 21- Ben McKay (bust)
2016 - Pick 12 - Jy Simpkin (serviceable - also a severe whipping boy)
2017 - Pick 4 - LUD (serviceable)
2018 - Pick 8 - Tarryn Thomas (bust)
2019 - gave up pick 8 (Freo used this to select an S-tier player - Caleb Serong)
2020 - Pick 3 - Will Phillips (likely bust), Pick 13 - Tom Powell (showed some promise, probably serviceable at this stage)
2021 - Pick 1 - JFH (I have no words)
2022 - Pick 3 and 4 - Sheezel (likely star) and Wardlaw (also looking good)
2023 - Pick 4 and 20 - early days, get a pass for now

They've drafted 0 bonafide stars and have only obtained 4 serviceable players from 13 years of first round draft picks.

This has got to be the most shocking drafting and development of all time. What would make it more depressing is if this was compared to some of the middle of the road clubs (forget about contending clubs from the same period).

This thread isn't meant to be about priority picks but I don't see the point in priority picks if they are going to be squandered notwithstanding there's some bad luck thrown in the mix too. If the AFL writes them an additional yearly check say $1m for recruitment and development spending, it may be a lot more effective.

Someone mentioned Adelaide’s decade from 2010-2020 first round drafting was on a similar level, and much of the reason for their current predicament. Recent years with Thilthorpe, Curtin, Rachele looks like their getting their act together somewhat.

A small club mired in the doldrums has always been of interest to me, so I looked through North's list and noticed a dearth of experienced players that were originally drafted by North.

So I decided to look back on North's first round drafting since 2010 and it made for some shocking reading. I'll provide three categories for the drafted players: star, serviceable or bust.

2010 - Pick 17 - Shaun Atley (serviceable)
2011 - Pick 18 - Brad Mackenzie (bust)
2012 - Pick 15 - Taylor Garner (bust)
2013 - Pick 8 - Luke McDonald (serviceable - severe whipping boy though)
2014 - Pick 16 - Sam Durdin (bust)
2015 - Pick 21- Ben McKay (bust)
2016 - Pick 12 - Jy Simpkin (serviceable - also a severe whipping boy)
2017 - Pick 4 - LUD (serviceable)
2018 - Pick 8 - Tarryn Thomas (bust)
2019 - gave up pick 8 (Freo used this to select an S-tier player - Caleb Serong)
2020 - Pick 3 - Will Phillips (likely bust), Pick 13 - Tom Powell (showed some promise, probably serviceable at this stage)
2021 - Pick 1 - JFH (I have no words)
2022 - Pick 3 and 4 - Sheezel (likely star) and Wardlaw (also looking good)
2023 - Pick 4 and 20 - early days, get a pass for now

They've drafted 0 bonafide stars and have only obtained 4 serviceable players from 13 years of first round draft picks.

This has got to be the most shocking drafting and development of all time. What would make it more depressing is if this was compared to some of the middle of the road clubs (forget about contending clubs from the same period).

This thread isn't meant to be about priority picks but I don't see the point in priority picks if they are going to be squandered notwithstanding there's some bad luck thrown in the mix too. If the AFL writes them an additional yearly check say $1m for recruitment and development spending, it may be a lot more effective.

It's not great but you've been a bit harsh on a few of them.

LDU is a good to very good player.
Ben McKay is not a bust - was mostly injured but decent when not and still attracted a big money offer.
Even guys like Simpkin and McDonald (agree with servicable) may be thought of differently if they played in a good team.

Ben Brown wasn't a bust was he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah.....
Taylor Garner serviceable (was just injury prone)
McKay serviceable
LDU if these are the only 3 categories he leans more into the star category.
Thomas would be a star (if not a knobhead)
JHF would be star for us (if not a knobhead)

Personally I think to gauge how bad picks are you need to look at the two next picks after..

OP is a troll, but yes our recruiting was horrible for a long time.

As a reminder though, we replaced our recruiters a couple of years ago. And many North fans think we'll be replacing our list manager this offseason as well.

It's a troll for sure but McKay aint no bust. Through him they turned pick 21 into pick 3 - that's brilliant work.
You only get one Dodoro in your lifetime

The people claiming troll..

So North's drafting and development has been all fine and dandy then? Make your point.

Or does one or two misratings upset you? I can pay LDU perhaps being better than serviceable but most people would say he is far from being a star player.

The people claiming troll..

So North's drafting and development has been all fine and dandy then? Make your point.

Or does one or two misratings upset you? I can pay LDU perhaps being better than serviceable but most people would say he is far from being a star player.
The premise is fine but the execution is terrible.

So either a troll or you didn't think it through.

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne's First-round drafting since 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back