North want to sell a home game to the Dockers or Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

And Richmond's were on Sunday? the infrastructure in Melbourne and layout of the city is entirely different.
Yes, all 8 on a Sunday. So time to retire complaining about Sunday arvo matches.
You're a ****ing sook, 20 years on this forum and every post of yours is so thin skinned and victim mentality and I don't think you've ever said anything funny. are you a school teacher? and making this a Richmond sympathy case ffs.
Eat a snickers champ.

North would be one of the more popular Victorian teams here probably only has Carlton as a rival?
I think people outside of WA don't realise how fairly big North are. for a small club with fairly limited success they permeate way more, especially because they're in the company of like Carlton and Essendon.

Always found it interesting how Collingwood aren't popular really at all in WA. Richmond had a moment with Cuzzy going over but you'd think with the amount of South Fremantle players they had, and Souths having maybe the biggest supporter base in the comp, there'd be more crossover. if anything Bulldogs people followed St Kilda through Winmar alone.

If we really do have a solid support base in WA and from this thread it seems like we do then I’m wrapt to give them another game.

There aren’t many of us, prefer us playing a game in a state where we are wanted and appreciated.

If this happens, I’m pretty confident it will be a North home game against either WC or Freo. That said, why would Hawthorn or St Kilda need to benefit? They’d be the away team: it wouldn’t require their agreement. Whether they would 'want to' to play North in Perth seems irrelevant.
Will 💯 be a home game against Wce/Freo will be close to a sellout and I presume we will make Eagles money for 1 game.

It would absolutely make sense for WCE for example to give us as much chance to make as much $$ as possible through corporate events, boxes etc.

What’s the alternative for them, an away game in Tassie/Docklands where they make no money anyway.

instead of North moving into another clubs area which won't help them or the afl grow. Move the two tassie games and the two others to Albury and Shep. Get some government support, help regional.footy which is struggling, give them a fam base of their own, be close enough for Melbourne fans to travel to and if North invests effort, let them get any North Victoria kid who gets past the second round of the draft.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app
How does this work? When you put an AFL game in struggling regional area as you suggest for AFL points during the season

Local people will attend this & not the local games.....That will be counter productive to all GVL regional teams.

If we really do have a solid support base in WA and from this thread it seems like we do then I’m wrapt to give them another game.

There aren’t many of us, prefer us playing a game in a state where we are wanted and appreciated.
I would argue North Melbourne would be the West's 3rd most supported footy team.

How does this work? When you put an AFL game in struggling regional area as you suggest for AFL points during the season

Local people will attend this & not the local games.....That will be counter productive to all GVL regional teams.
Local footy is Saturdays. North can play Sundays. Better still - play at Easter or Kings Birthday long weekend when there is no local footy, and so more fans can travel.

10,000?

Absolutely no chance.

They may have come up with some bizarre metric to say they have 10,000 supporters in WA, but paid-up members? No way.

I haven't found anything to back up my call online so maybe it was a throwaway line by someone, possibly Clarko.

i'm prepared to say 8000 supporters, i feel kinda comfortable with that number. I should be able to find something, anything but alas!

It's a lot. Happy to say a lot

Local footy is Saturdays. North can play Sundays. Better still - play at Easter or Kings Birthday long weekend when there is no local footy, and so more fans can travel.
Why should anyone care about Local Footy, again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either way, it adds weight to the decision! Perth is a hotbed of Australian football, happy for us to have a significant presence there! A game or two is not going to define a season one way or the other.

Especially if you can make as much from two games as four in Tasmania.

It means you can have a bigger presence in Melbourne, cater to your second biggest base, and reduce travel for West Coast and Freo.

Seems like a good idea all around.

Facebook pages and groups - followers

WA Blues: 4000
Richmond WA Supporters Group: 3400
WA Bombers: 1900
WA Western Bulldogs: 1700
WA Hawks: 1600
WA Magpies: 1522
Western Saints: 1400
Perth Cats: 1200
Western Demons: 1100
North Melbourne WA Supporters: 549

North are a long way last here. If nothing else, they have a lot of work to do on engagement.

Facebook pages and groups - followers

WA Blues: 4000
Richmond WA Supporters Group: 3400
WA Bombers: 1900
WA Western Bulldogs: 1700
WA Hawks: 1600
WA Magpies: 1522
Western Saints: 1400
Perth Cats: 1200
Western Demons: 1100
North Melbourne WA Supporters: 549

North are a long way last here. If nothing else, they have a lot of work to do on engagement.
eh at least they are ahead of the suns at 526

Exactly. Happy to play 3 games a year in Perth. We typically have 2 anyway so what's another? Especially whilst the Big Birds are down with us.

Bunk Moreland great work, except most of our fans over there would be 70-80, and we've been horribly shite and their kids would be abducted at gun point/ostracised at school for not following the local Club on The Facebook.

Functionally, in terms of fairness, how is it any different to Geelong hosting the big Melbourne clubs at the MCG?

Precedent is already set
Serious question, how is it really different from Geelong or a Marvel tennant playing their "home" games against the Pies/Tigers at the G?

Could argue reducing the travel burden for the WA teams is reducing one of the inequalities
Because in both cases, in practical terms, there is still priority ticketing for the home team, and they're expected to make up the majority of the crowd, and they can do this by the fact that transport to the ground is not additionally significantly impractical.

While I suppose North members will technically have "priority" ticketing for the game which their fans can access and can some extent get some financial benefits to setting ticket prices to West Coast fans, in terms of both fans influencing the game result and familiarity with the ground, it will entirely benefit West Coast.
12 home games instead of 17 games in your home state is an ok trade off, even still slightly vic team favoured
Telling this to a Dogs fan is rich.

Travel is not as much as a determinant of home ground advantage as crowd factors.

Small Melbourne teams are not allowed to reduce the capacity of their ground to prevent away fans (interstate or Melbourne) to attend the game. In fact, when we play a large Melbourne club, at our home ground, we are often outnumbered by home fans.

If 5,000 West Coast fans wanted to fly from Perth to Melbourne to watch the Dogs, they would be able to. If the Western Bulldogs wanted to prevent the West Coast fans from attending the game, the AFL wouldn't let them. However, West Coast is allowed to prevent 5,000 Western Bulldogs fans from flying over to Perth, because the capacity of the stadium is limited artificially by the construction of its size.

This leads to the overall aggregrate crowds the Dogs play in front of over the course of their 23 games to be playing in front of far more away fans, than they do home fans. I will concede that there's not much we can do about this in a Melbourne vs. Melbourne game, though it should be noted that Collingwood etc. can effectively prevent GA access to away fans for their games, but we can't for away fans. I would love it, if we were to host Collingwood, for the AFL to allow the Western Bulldogs to progressively sell tickets as a priority first to Dogs GA members before they do it to Collingwood away access members or the GA public, but they don't, and the AFL doesn't allow us to.

For instance, if West Coast and Western Bulldogs were to play each other once home and once away, West Coast would play in front of an aggregated amount of 55,000 West Coast fans (50k in their home game and 5k in their away game), and Dogs would only play in front of 25k Bulldogs fans (24k in their home game and 1k in their away game).

And before you say, "well that's just the realities of being a small club", I could argue, that the realities of West Coast being a big club is only due to geographical reasons that allow you to be a big club (being the first club in Perth and only one of two), the same geographical realities that is often a complaint of West Coast fans that mean they do extra travel in the first place.

For the same reasons, try telling a Geelong fan that they have a unique home ground advantage - they can effectively lock out the crowd of Melbourne-based fans when they go to Geelong, but Melbourne-based teams can't lock out Geelong fans from attending away games in Melbourne on an equivalent basis, meaning that Geelong have a distinct home ground advantage that doesn't become a disadvantage in the return, away matchup. Geelong fans refuse to accept that for some reason though (or at least that they have to play MCG home finals is a reasonable trade-off to that advantage).

Maybe you could have a point arguing with a Big 4 club fan but arguing the point with a Dogs fan isn't going to get you anywhere.

Not passing judgement whether North should be allowed to sell their home game - they're effectively selling off some of their home ground advantage to make more money - but it is uniquely distinct from other fixturing advantages/disadvantages.

Eesh, it's sad to see North have to take these measures, but it sure is better than seeing them run into bigger problems or fold/be relocated in the future.

I just wanna see all the clubs survive and for no more supporter bases to be ripped apart. And for every supporter to see a premiership in their lifetime, obviously not at the Bulldogs expense, c'mon sainters and freo you can do it!

It's fun to hate on our rivals and watch them fail, like our collective glee at Essendon's impressive run without a finals victory. But as much as we all hate our rivals, footy clubs mean so much to their communities and supporters, I just want everyone to survive and thrive.

Exactly. Happy to play 3 games a year in Perth. We typically have 2 anyway so what's another? Especially whilst the Big Birds are down with us.

Bunk Moreland great work, except most of our fans over there would be 70-80, and we've been horribly shite and their kids would be abducted at gun point/ostracised at school for not following the local Club on The Facebook.

It’s not a great measure but it’s the best we have.

Ultimately I think they’d be best off attacking a new market - but they’re probably all taken.

It’s not a great measure but it’s the best we have.

Ultimately I think they’d be best off attacking a new market - but they’re probably all taken.
I'm happy to play a few games in Benigo on QE2 or wait for it, Arden St if we have to... a few esky's and a sausage sizzle will do! First in Best dressed, gold coin donation for a seat in the decaying Grandstand works....

Remove this Banner Ad

North want to sell a home game to the Dockers or Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back