Strategy Not enough bigs

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the issue is talls per se, it's our structure with what we have.
Our best runner is Sheridan, now Im no Sheridan fan but why can't he be used/trialled in a Marco Bresciano role? That is patrolling the centre of the ground from deep D50 through to 25m out F50. The role involves massive repeat sprints often 100-150m. His job is to always be an option forward of the ball when attacking and then being a space filler/interceptor when defending.
Im not saying this should happen but Id like to see things mixed up a bit.
We've got a good defense and great midfield but are so one dimensional moving forward.
Of course as supporters we can just hope it all works out in a year or two. Which unfortunately I think we're going to have to do.
Ross the boss and all that.
Totally agree.

Also, Sheridan when played as a forward did well at the fall of the ball inside f50.

Plus, he is actually 187cm.

It us hurting us all to see the west coast performance this year when they were due to fall off a cliff. While we are bogged down in a rebuild. They are doing something right.

It us hurting us all to see the west coast performance this year when they were due to fall off a cliff. While we are bogged down in a rebuild. They are doing something right.

They are, but I'm not convinced they are going all the way.
Probs make another GF though

Its not all about forwards though, watching Fyfe ruck, is just an accident waiting to happen. Cox has to pinch hit
and if Sandi is not rested forward, then we have a hole in the forward line with McCarthy playing tall?
Kersten has to play in my opinion, especially away, mature body, experience. Until someone else is available.
What happens if Sandi, Fyfe miss due to soreness?

But for the same comparison with Richmond,

It's Sandilands, Cox, McCarthy

vs

Nankervis, Riewoldt, blank

It's about assessing what resources you have and building a gameplan around that, not the other way around.

Although the best teams generally have a at least a Riewoldt, Buddy, Kennedy or similar. No structure works well without consistently without a single tall that will kick you a lot of goals individually

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

When we continue to play fan favourites in the fwd line based on reputation and not form, we’re always gonna struggle.

Not a big, but why is Ballas still playing AFL? Doesn’t play front and centre well anymore, lacks pressure, slips over, kicking is iffy! Do we need that many smalls in the Fwd half?

Last edited:
I don't get the obsession with having lots of talls in the forwardline, even the good ones take what, 2-3 contested marks per game?
Sure, if you have an abundance of good ones that aren't hopeless when the ball hits the ground you play them, but if you don't have them surely a few smalls that are quick so can burn off their opponent on the lead, plus create turnovers from pressure, will be far more valuable than an average tall.
Yes you do need at least one to create a contest when the ball is bombed in, but apart from that I think they are overrated.
We need Tabs back to create that contest. Cox showed improvement against Sydney though, so hopefully he keeps that up.
Even GWS have dropped Patton recently.

Its not all about forwards though, watching Fyfe ruck, is just an accident waiting to happen. Cox has to pinch hit
and if Sandi is not rested forward, then we have a hole in the forward line with McCarthy playing tall?
Kersten has to play in my opinion, especially away, mature body, experience. Until someone else is available.
What happens if Sandi, Fyfe miss due to soreness?
Agree Fyfe shouldn't be rucking (despite being handy against non-rucks).

I don't mind if Kersten plays because I think he has talent and may put it together some day. That said, if you want an aerial contest then Ape or Nads are probably better. Kersten is a lead up player.

So in simple terms you what you are saying is equal numbers of forwards to defenders?
Be that a ruck/forward, another 3rd tall will do?
We don't have Tabs, but add Kersten, Nads, with Cox and a change of plan 6 on 6 forward line:thumbsu:
Both the above players are forwards, and Nads, Cox can ruck which is a bonus.
At the moment, yes, I think equal numbers will help our forwards.
I'm not saying that is the ultimate strategy, or its something we should do in 2020. I'm saying right now that it would help.
Equal numbers doesn't have to mean 3 talls. It mean we pick the best team out of our fit players but we then deny the oppo the extra defender.
One of the reasons why equal numbers will help us is because we lack running power. We press up extra players around the ball and they can't run back to make an impact. So just picking a big guy like Jones or Nads might not really help our running ability, so might not be the right play.
Kersten however ... well he did all that extra running in the pre-season for a reason didn't he?
We want forwards who can run, who can run to smart places (looking at you McCarthy), and who can compete. And while they develop I don't think we want them continually losing in a 2-on-1, 3-on-2, etc battle

This guy can help, not really getting a game for the Dogs so should come cheaply.

Attachments

• CE2F1350-1F3E-44C1-B57B-8A48C82FB5BB.png
    CE2F1350-1F3E-44C1-B57B-8A48C82FB5BB.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 109

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the running loads and restricted rotations, smalls/mediums can be swapped with the midfielders to rest them or half back flankers etc. Usually, the tall forwards don't have many strings to their bow and it limits the options that the coach has. So, if the KPF is being pantsed, do you move him elsewhere? - nope. Is your midfielder being effectively tagged, do you swap him with a small/medium forward? - yep.

If you play tall up front, you have limited your options, it's worth doing if that is your strength - but if it isn't your strength, you have robbed the teams flexibility by giving less resting options if your strength is a running game instead of aerial contests (etc). Also, if talls aren't your strength, give space for your forwards or that gallivanting midfielder by playing less players there. The game doesn't have much in the way of zone rules, it's madness to play as if it did - unless it is to your advantage.

Maybe you could start a “we are doing everything perfectly as a football club” thread. I’m sure Scon has enough content to keep that ticking over indefinitely
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why tag me into your thread with such a puerile comment?
A feeble attempt at playing the man 100m from the ball.

At least try to find something to justify your thesis on your own thread.

With the running loads and restricted rotations, smalls/mediums can be swapped with the midfielders to rest them or half back flankers etc. Usually, the tall forwards don't have many strings to their bow and it limits the options that the coach has. So, if the KPF is being pantsed, do you move him elsewhere? - nope. Is your midfielder being effectively tagged, do you swap him with a small/medium forward? - yep.

If you play tall up front, you have limited your options, it's worth doing if that is your strength - but if it isn't your strength, you have robbed the teams flexibility by giving less resting options if your strength is a running game instead of aerial contests (etc). Also, if talls aren't your strength, give space for your forwards or that gallivanting midfielder by playing less players there. The game doesn't have much in the way of zone rules, it's madness to play as if it did - unless it is to your advantage.
Our issue is our forward line is hopeless and we seem intent leaving it that way by making them all flood back and regularly playing 5 on 6.

Play to your strengths but we might need to give them a chop out by making our mids and defence go head to head for a change and leaving a couple of forwards deep. I've had enough of losing a game in the forward half, lets have a go losing it in the middle for once.

I'm just confused why our tall options have to be good and dangerous players who lay a lot of tackles, but Ballantyne can be none of these things and still get a game every week.

I’m convinced it’s both the chicken and the egg but that’s just me. Our midfield doesn’t have enough good ball users, especially without the Hills. Our mids apart from Fyfe and Mundy (if you call him a mid) are overrated as they don’t kick it well enough (not that Fyfe is great in this area) and/or can’t tackle effectively.

There was open players missed by our midfielders on the weekend both by poor disposal and poor vision/decision making. If the problem was solely our forwards being in poor positions, dropping marks etc I’d agree with this thread entirely but our midfield doesn’t get half the blame they deserve for this problem imo. Also our small forward stocks are deplorable as long as Walters and a lesser extent Matera play as far from goals as they do. Small and Medium Forwards are just as big of a problem.

Luckily the club seems to have identified all these problems and drafted for the weaknesses above in the last draft. Cerra and Brayshaw are better kicks than anyone in our midfield not called Hill, Mundy or Walters, Dixon is a key forward, Switkowski and to a lesser extent Giro and Crowden are small forwards and North and Banfield whilst not being as good at kicking as the top five are inside mids that’ll allow better kicks to play more outside. Most of these kids can actually tackle too which is another weakness of our best 22 - looking particularly at Neale and Hill brothers.

Last edited:
I’m convinced it’s both the chicken and the egg but that’s just me. Our midfield doesn’t have enough good ball users, especially without the Hills. Our mids apart from Fyfe and Mundy (if you call him a mid) are overrated as they don’t kick it well enough (not that Fyfe is great in this area) and/or can’t tackle effectively.

There was open players missed by our midfielders on the weekend both by poor disposal and poor vision/decision making. If the problem was solely our forwards being in poor positions, dropping marks etc I’d agree with this thread entirely but our midfield doesn’t get half the blame they deserve for this problem imo. Also our small forward stocks are deplorable as long as Walters and a lesser extent Matera play as far from goals as they do. Small and Medium Forwards are just as big of a problem.

Luckily the club seems to have identified all these problems and drafted for the weaknesses above in the last draft. Cerra and Brayshaw are better kicks than anyone in our midfield not called Hill or Walters, Dixon is a key forward, Switkowski and to a lesser extent Giro and Crowden are small forwards and North and Banfield whilst not being as good at kicking as the top five are inside mids that’ll allow better kicks to play more outside. Most of these kids can actually tackle too which is another weakness of our best 22 - looking particularly at Neale and Hill brothers.
I'll be honest, you lost me at the bolded.

If there is one thing Mundy has in his toolkit, its kicking skills.

I'll be honest, you lost me at the bolded.

If there is one thing Mundy has in his toolkit, its kicking skills.

Read it again. Mundy is the only mid we have that is an above average kick and/or doesn’t get his tackles broken by opposition mids at ease.

Fyfe is Fyfe and more than makes up for being an average kick in other ways.

The only teams that play lots of talls are the ones who have lots of GOOD talls. Adelaide, WC, GWS etc

The problem isn't the structure per se, it is that our players in structural positions aren't that good. Throwing more blokes who aren't good enough in there will make it worse not better.

We just have to be patient and wait for our talls to mature. There is no magic fix. It takes time, end of story.
Watching Lyon for years, I can confidently say I doubt it. Blah blah, Ross hater..... It wont take time, it might work for a game or two against spud teams, but overall it's largely to do with shit structures, therefore the fix is a new coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back