Now for the delistings...

Remove this Banner Ad

If Thurgood doesn't get delisted the club is a '****ing embarrassment! He is literally the worst player on our list and probably would struggle to get a game at the reserves of Geelong for example. I'll spew up if he doesn't get delisted becuase pick 175 in the draft would be a far better player than that slug!
Bit harsh, but seriously.

You write like you really know what a '****ing embarrassment is.
Surely you don't see one in the mirror?

Let's see you spew ...

LH86

People are forgetting that Dixon was on the veterans list and we have nobody to replace him. Our senior list for 2008 moves from 40 players to 39. In effect at the moment we have only delisted two players currently due to retirements (Smith and Vandenberg). We must have a minimum of three picks in the National Draft so we must delist at least one more player. If, as Pelchen alluded to in Canberra we will add McEntee to the senior list (not rookie list eligble anymore) we must delist another player. Assuming Little and Thurgood are the two this leaves us with pick 12, 29, 45 and the opportunity for 5 rookie list players. If we want to take a player in the PSD we will need to delist another player on top of this.

My money, for what it is worth, is on both Little and Thurgood getting the arse, meaning there are 5 spots on the list.

I think we will draft with pick 12, we will elevate McEntee from the rookie list, Nick Smith from bokky as the big bodied defender, and another two draftees or one draftee and possibly Collins from the rookis list.

McEntee and Smith on one year contracts.

Only one draftee under this scenario not two. Will need to delist another player on top of Thurgood and Little for 5 spots.

Now that u have brought it up, here's something i did earlier in the year...

... interesting to look at what has changed/occured...

i know its a bit early, but all clubs do have two make three delistings/retirements at the end of the year. I was looking through our list, and still with quite a few untried players, as well as those pushing for selection its hard to find many in this category

Despite this it's a major positive to highlight how far our list has come and were it's going

just wondering what others think, and who might be/have a chance of being delisted?

players i think who POSIBILITIES are

Josh Thurgood: to the shock of quite a few was redrafted onto the senior list. Really needed to show strong signs, and make major leaps foward, especially regarding his body. However players like Matthew Lappin, who have struggled to put on body weight throughout there careers have shown it can be done. Did show exciting dash of the backline, when he was able to string a few games together, which so far has been rare.

Matthew Little: has been marked as "Dixon's replacement", as the veteran continues to get no younger, and yet still hasn't managed to debut this year, despite both small, similar, fowards Williams and Dixon out with injuries. Has had good consistent form for Box Hill over recent years, regularly bagging 2-3 goals a game and finishing leading Box Hill goalkicker with 35 for the season. May need the opportunity to play a few senior games before we can really judge him and his possible place in the foward set-up.

Zac Dawson: Showed mixed signs in senior football, which is expected when he did rely quite heavily on his undeveloped frame against those like Rocca. Has similar frame and height (bit shorter) to that of Dustin Fletcher and Kepler Bradley, and also displayed clean disposal. Despite his height, he demonstrated his mobility reaching many contests, especially against Richmond from memory. Has also played ruck for Box Hill, but i feel is too small, and is not an exception like John Barnes and Jeff White. With Gilham in fine form and versatile capabilities of Croad, Roughead, Brown and Jacobs, he may struggle to cement his spot in the Hawthorn backline, but has been in best for Box Hill on numerous occasions, and supposedly somewhat bulked up.

Tom Murphy: In his early career has established himself as being able to play in th big time. He has the versatility, having played in the backline so far, but as a forward through his junior career. Personally I want to keep him, and he has shown some signs similar to that of Jacobs, possibly the “third man up.” Like Brennan is a good mark, but seems to be stuck at the awkward height of slightly short for KKP and slightly tall to match it with tall forwards. Courageous efforts and strong marking are valuable and I think with further development we will have a spot for him, but do others…

Michael Osborne: This name has been a hot debate on the Hawthorn board so far, so I thought I’d put it up. Is an aggressive defender/tagger, run with roles, who gets under the skin of many opposition players. Has a tendency to give away free kicks with many of these due to his ferocious attack on the ball. Doesn’t possess the skills of many elite footballers, but compensates with aggression, determination and effort. Has established his place in the side this season playing 12 of 13 games with an average of 13 disposals per game, and .67 goals a game up from a career of .27 goals per game. This shows a possible new dimension in his game, which eas evident is his outstanding performance against Collingwood, with a match winning play/goal. There is still a question from some about his place in the side

Personally I don’t agree with some of the names above, and think they deserve to stay, but in the end someone has to go.

Along with these are older players who may retire soon, however some seemed rejuvenated at the prospect of finals success in the near future. The end of there careers may be further away now

Joel Smith is a prime example of these rejuvenated players. Had to work to get his chance this year, and it has payed of for both club and Smith. Arguably had his best career game against the Blues, with 2 goals and 26 disposals, despite having 69% game time. Showed run and carry from the “old days” and appears to have risen up to a new fitness level. Can also provide essential experience into the youthful side, and seems determined to play on for quite some time

Shane Crawford: a few years back was struggling, broken arm and off-field problems, however last year finished fourth in the B&F. the 4 time club champion, renowned for his fitness, now can concentrate more on his footy, evident since he relinquished captaincy and increasing leadership skills of young guns, namely Hodge and Mitchell. Is pursuing another one-year contract with the club and finish his career with the one club. It’s a race against time, with his body against the clock and the possibility of a premiership

Ben Dixon:

I mentioned these for players because they our last four players born in the seventies!
some of these names may seem a bit harsh to be up hear, but when u looked at our entire list, you'll see the tough reality Clarko and Co. have to go through

i still remember a thread from last year about this, with a few people, understandable labeling Tim Boyle as major possibilty, just glad we made the right choice and kept him. This highlights the importance of list management, along with recruiting those who have been delisted, namely Stephen Gilham and Brent Guerra

Finally just wondering about your comments/opinions, maybe out of the possible delistings
1 player who should definitely stay,
and 1 who should go

Me: Should go = Thurgood
[FONT=&quot]Definitely stay = tough, I think all three (Dawson, Murphy and Osborne) would be hard done by, but I’ll go with KKP, Dawson (even when I type it, it’s hard to know if it’s the right choice) [/FONT]

If Thurgood doesn't get delisted the club is a '****ing embarrassment! He is literally the worst player on our list and probably would struggle to get a game at the reserves of Geelong for example. I'll spew up if he doesn't get delisted becuase pick 175 in the draft would be a far better player than that slug!
Bit harsh, but seriously.
Pity we cant delist you

Thurgood and Little seem to keep popping up in BF discussions for delisting (so that must be right) and Pelchen hinted that McEntee (the 5th ruckman) would be retained - meaning he will be promoted to the senior list. With the 2 retirements (excluding Dixon as a veteran), that leaves us with 3 draft picks only (the minimum) for the national draft.

IF we want to participate in the PSD, or use a 4th draft pick in the national draft, then quite simply we need to delist an extra player.
Murphy has been suggested, but Pelchen was quoted as saying he would be retained. So, I've got no idea who else would be delisted, unless someone actually asks to be given an opportunity at another club by nominating for the PSD.

Assuming McEntee is elevated, that gives us 5 rookie spots. Presumably Collins would be given a second year, but the mail is on Suckling going. Is Gibson eligible for a 2nd year, or is he too old? If he goes as well, that will give us 4 rookie spots to fill. I hope that Pelch and the crew have done their research!!! Remember that we can't rookie-list players such as Little, Meyers, N Smith, etc, as they are too old or have already been on other lists.

Anywho, that's how I understand things to work...;)

Thurgood may well be delisted but if no one suitable is available he may be redrafted

Thats what they did with him last season. I know he is well liked and thought of around the club but really this guy just cant keep wasting space on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh ok.

Who's the next in line then? Dawson has a contract, Murphy to me would be better than pick 45 or a PSD pick.

Wouldnt mind missing out on some mediocre player in the PSD, and keep that next in line player (Boyle was the last player given contract last year, McGlynn last rookie selection year before) and have 3 picks in a shallow draft.

I thought that putting a player on the veterans list just meant that you only have to claim half their wage in the TPP.
Being suggested on here that Dixon retiring doesnt make a space on our list as we do not have a veteran to replace him on vet list.
I am not so sure that this is the case??

I thought that putting a player on the veterans list just meant that you only have to claim half their wage in the TPP.
Being suggested on here that Dixon retiring doesnt make a space on our list as we do not have a veteran to replace him on vet list.

It is the case. We get an extra rookie spot but no extra spot on our list.

I'd like to bet you are right Merv. Dixon was still on our list although he was classified as a veteran. We just saved space under the salary cap. :thumbsu:

Mervyn

You got half right. Only half of Vets payment considered in TPP.

The half is this.

Each team is allowed 44 players

Made up of 38 senior listed players and any of the following combos

2 veterans and 4 rookies (ie Hawks 2007 season)

1 Veteran and 5 rookies

0 Veterans and 6 rookies

# Keefri and others re quoting "Where is the Free" as a mod I can view her posts and quote them so you can all see. In fact, we can view all your deleted posts as well...;) careful.

Mervyn

You got half right. Only half of Vets payment considered in TPP.

The half is this.

Each team is allowed 44 players

Made up of 38 senior listed players and any of the following combos

2 veterans and 4 rookies (ie Hawks 2007 season)

1 Veteran and 5 rookies

0 Veterans and 6 rookies

# Keefri and others re quoting "Where is the Free" as a mod I can view her posts and quote them so you can all see. In fact, we can view all your deleted posts as well...;) careful.

Haha.. :(

Osborne will not be going anywhere. If we had any thoughts of delisting him he'd have certainly been traded this week. My God some people astound me with their thought process.:rolleyes::confused:

Totally agree Crypto...it amuses me that Ozzy won us a couple of games, gets injured after taking screamer of the day and supporters go 'delist him'....I think they are not taking there medication...and are in the same position as people trading Bateman last year :eek:

Osborne isnt going anywhere.

And that is from an Osborne critic, wondering how he kept getting games. He had 2 good games all season - Kangeroos and Collingwood.

But the reality is, if Osborne got a game after doing nothing for 2 years, the coaches are showing faith in his ability, and will probably do so again this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Now for the delistings...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back