Now official - Fevola sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: H-S: Fevola sacked

lets face it the Lions are in a huge mess!! heres hoping they can turn things around..but from what we saw on Friday night it looked like not much had changed

as i said maybe theres more to the Fev thing that we dont know about...i read somewhere that he may not have behaved in China?

Remember, we lost Rischitelli, Bradshaw, Henderson + a first round draft pick for this bloke.

Utter, utter failure.

One step backwards to go two steps forward?

What had happened in the past in various areas is now being assessed as an error of judgment - that in my opinion is a good sign looking forwards.

Yep, two positives now jump out, which I am delighted with:

1. The capability to retain Clark, Rich and Leuenberger and offer them more $$'s to stary at the Lions; and

2. News story's that actually focus on 1 of the other 46 blokes on our list.

No winners out of this for anyone really.
Sad that a player with such talent squandered it so seemingly pointlessly.
Sad that Brisbane took the risk and offered him another chance, to their ultimate, regret and loss.
Sad that the whole thing played out in the public gaze.

Terribly sad for his children.

2. News story's that actually focus on 1 of the other 46 blokes on our list.

Well except for the 8 million Fev stories in the next few weeks anyway

Good news for the journos is, despite releasing this late on a Sunday night, they just had to put to print the "shameful lions terminate rehabbing star's contract - feud to break out over pay" story, and could delete the "Salary cap strapped Lions keep Fevola despite damage doing to club"

Not the fact that we sacked fevola. The fact that we won't have much going for us..sure I'll turn on the tv and watch..but heck it's gonna be hard watching us getting belted every weekend for a few years to come. He was one of the reasons I got excited watching us play, he does things not many people can even think of. He will be missed.

You are obviously very young, I spent years watching the Bears/Lions get belted, makes success so much sweeter when it finally happens:)

The timing of this decision is brilliantly done so it can share the limelight with pedo Nixon. I've decided to put faith in the club that it made the right call. But as far as I am aware the only thing Fev is currently guilty of is having a gambling addiction. Surely he has had a negative influence on the team and is partly responsible for the poor form of last season post round 4.

Yeah, I am a vocal Angus fan for his work so far, but I think the exceptions are in how he has handled Fevola.

Firstly for being too reactive in suspending Fevola after the park accusations. A bit of faith in one of our players pending more information would not have gone astray.

And now I think he's done it again. I can understand wanting to be proactive and no-nonsense but I think he failed basic game theory here. Would have been far more strategically sensible to bring Fevola back under a raft of behavioral clauses (which Lynch seems to indicate Fev was more than willing to accept). That way, if he stuffed up again, it would be entirely on him, and would potentially save us a chunk of coin.

There is clearly more behavioral breaches that didnt make the press, but because of this lack of public knowledge, it just looks poorly timed and it can be spun as us sacking a guy after he had seemingly made his first serious crack at turning his life around.

I think the club was probably well within its rights to sack him, but I think we failed to handle it quite as well as we could have.

I suspect the payout figure is going to be of an extent that it will offer very little salary cap relief. The only player retention benefit that will possible come out of it is being able to offer Mitch that forward spot full time.

I think they're is a big problem at the club... 2 sackings in about a week. This could be considered the worst trade we've ever done...

I think they're is a big problem at the club... 2 sackings in about a week. This could be considered the worst trade we've ever done...

Easily the worst we've ever done.

Not the worst trade of all time though. Thank god for Carlton and that Stephen O'Reilly trade. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A club that will not compromise on standards, and now the exception proves the rule. Gotta love that.

As someone who did hope Fev turned it around, how many more "BBQ fight before Carlton match" rumours and media distractions could we put up with - there are massive positives to come out of this, no matter how pro-Fev you could be (and I count myself as very much pro-Fev), and no matter what the salary cap issues are.

Get him back to Melbourne so he can be with his family, get the help he needs, and let our boys shock the world.

At least we've still got this guy -

brown-jonathan-020410.jpg

I personally would have loved to seem him given the proverbial one last chance, but if there have been other breaches (him being seen out on the town at 4am when he shouldn't have been) then I can understand the reasoning.

What will be interesting is whether the details of the other breaches get released. They could be deemed as personal business and thus not for to release, or trivial in the eyes of many (although meaningful in the context of a team environment).

Well except for the 8 million Fev stories in the next few weeks anyway

Yeah, the next few weeks are going to be unpleasant, but there is now light at the end of the tunnel that the club can escape the cloud of negativity that Fev has brought over the club (whether he has been at fault or not).

I look forward to when journalists start to focus a bit more on our other players.

:(a very sad day for the lions football club. a pointless decision by the lions board. fev should have been given one last chance to payback the good faith that that the club had entrusted him with. i am sure that the current situation that fev finds himself in would have been a major wake up call .this along with a bunch of stringent behaviour clauses that ( brown dog ) has mentioned, could have turned this player around. now all we are left with is a club with no real personalities hardly any match winners. and a coach who will be under the hammer for the rest of the season. whether you like it or not fev created media interest in this rugby league city. good or bad publicity still creates interest in our code. now we have lost a potential 100 goal forward and any chance of climbing the ladder. Any benefits or salary cap relief that the club will receive from fevs sacking will not guarantee that we will retain the services of rich clarke etc.. especially if we are languishing near the bottom of the ladder....................... i hope that i am wrong but i just feel that today the club has made a major blunder.:mad::mad::mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Now official - Fevola sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back