NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Any one know if Glen Waverley Hawks are fielding any junior or womens sides this season.The reason I ask is I see Mazenold are playing on the south oval at Central reserve at the moment (not sure if they are using the north oval as well).And begs the question EFNL finals at Glen Waverley this season,will this be a non event.

Any one know if Glen Waverley Hawks are fielding any junior or womens sides this season.The reason I ask is I see Mazenold are playing on the south oval at Central reserve at the moment (not sure if they are using the north oval as well).And begs the question EFNL finals at Glen Waverley this season,will this be a non event.
Don’t have anything apart from netball voice. Mazenod has taken over the hiring of the main oval with the north one being used for training. Am not confident the Hawks will return although there are some committed people working in the background to keep the club alive. What happened to them is a disgrace and the players involved should hang their head.

Will not be any finals at Central for ENFL as likely the VAFA will try and use it if required.

Wouldn’t think there’ll be EFNL finals there in any case, who is going to host them

Believe Waverley Blues will be playing at Central for a season while their ground is renovated. Not sure if that is scheduled for 2024 or 2025.

Very good question G.

While we are on jnfrustructure old mate, please sought out Mitcham Rd in the Rangeview area.
What are they doing down there? More work there than the Monash. 😜
Mitcham Road,Yarra Valley Water are replacing a 100 year old pipe line from I think Silvan Dam to the inner suburbs.

Do not post on this site to much these days as does any one look at it but seeing I am the Voice of the G here is a little info.

1 The plans of a re deevelopment of the East Burwood complex which of cause includes Football/Cricket/Basketball/Atheltics/Bike Riding etc,surprised Cliff has not posted on this one.

2 The future of Silver Grove,the old Nunawading Football Ground behind the shell petrol station on the corner of Springvale and Whitehorse.Every thing moved to the new Nunawading Community Centre at the old Nunawading Primary School site.What is left at Silver is a disgrace,the ferals have destroyed the buildings there.My plan retain as open space there and have a junior size sport ground up to U14 to at least train there,later down the track perhaps games there. Have worked on this one but it seems at thjs stage kicking against the wind.Just a reminder Mitcham Football Club have only 1 ground for seniors,junior and girls football.We do have some access for training at Koonung reserve and play some games there but no canteen etc.Have heard Vermont have the same issue with shortage of grounds and playing at Whitehorse Reserve (Next to Box hill HS }

3 Biggest fear Whitehorse Council will sell off to developers and they admit there is a shortage of ovals in the eastern suburbs.

4 And on a positive for the Nunawading Football Club.Watched them against Forest Hill and on field they have improved and off field impressed how the committee have reduced that massive debt down to nearly zero.A plus there I can see a womens senior football team plus 3 netball teams.

Last edited:
Mitcham Road,Yarra Valley Water are replacing a 100 year old pipe line from I think Silvan Dam to the inner suburbs.

Do not post on this site to much these days as does any one look at it but seeing I am the Voice of the G here is a little info.

1 The plans of a re deevelopment of the East Burwood complex which of cause course includes Football/Cricket/Basketball/Atheltics/Bike Riding etc,surprised Cliff has not posted on this one.

2 The future of Silver Grove,the old Nunawading Football Ground behind the shell petrol station on the corner of Springvale and Whitehorse.Every thing moved to the new Nunawading Community Centre at the old Nunawading Primary School site.What is left at Silver is a disgrace,the ferals have destroyed the buildings there.My plan retain as open space there and have a junior size sport ground up to U14 to at least train there,later down the track perhaps games there. Have worked on this one but it seems at thjs stage kicking against the wind.Just a reminder Mitcham Football Club have only 1 ground for seniors,junior and girls football.We do have some access for training at Koonung reserve and play some games there but no canteen etc.Have heard Vermont have the same issue with shortage of grounds and playing at Whitehorse Reserve (Next to Box hill HS }

3 Biggest fear Whitehorse Council will sell off to developers and they admit there is a shortage of ovals in the eastern suburbs.

4 And on a positive for the Nunawading Football Club.Watched them against Forest Hill and on field they have improved and off field impressed how the committee have reduced that massive debt down to nearly zero.A plus there I can see a womens senior football team plus 3 netball teams

5 And being a member of the Mitcham Football/Cricket Clubs and no electronic scoreboard for cricket we are," cricket"looking at how to fund one and all the grants out there and sponsor ships etc ,not easy but we are determined to get there and all clubs should be looking at these options.
As you may remember GMac all that land will be sold off to developers and that money will be used to pay off the Nunawading Community Centre. The oval will be gone. I'm sorry, that is my fault for suggesting how to fund the purchase and development of the Nunawading Primary site. I had no idea that the mayor would seize on the idea and present it as his own. On the other hand it got him the power base to build the Art Centre and give you the parking next door to your ground. You need to talk to Mullauna Sec Coll about getting change rooms built at their ground and make it your junior home base. It would be a great place to recruit Kids from, particularly with the primary school there as well. Your cricket club would also do well out of an arrangement with the school.
The council will need all that money and more for the EB re development as it is projected to cost an unbeleviable $108,535,000. Have a look at how much Basketball is going to have spent on their new Pavilion. If you click on the link below you can see the plan.

https://ehq-production-australia.s3...15512b001d04eb9b4781067d7d4e475b438272ac50977

Makes it hard to believe that anything new will be built for quite some time. All the money being spent is classified as redevelopment, upgrade or renewal. There does not seem to be any money available for totally new projects. A new policy, again one that I suggested to the council in 2017 to raise money is in the pipeline. A friends husband was on the Bayside Council and they had just adopted a levy on new developments to help meet the costs involved for the amenities needed due to an increasing population, due mostly to high rise and high density development. Whitehorse has put together a Development Contributions Plan and will vote on its introduction in June. It is calculated that $31M will be raised on current development plans that the council is aware of. It seems to me that more and more councils will adopt this approach.

Last edited:
"The plans of a re deevelopment of the East Burwood complex which of cause includes Football/Cricket/Basketball/Atheltics/Bike Riding etc,surprised Cliff has not posted on this one" Most of the money is a total upgrade of the basketball facility. The Council is out of touch as far as Football goes but if you look at who's on the council it's easy to understand why.

"The plans of a re deevelopment of the East Burwood complex which of cause includes Football/Cricket/Basketball/Atheltics/Bike Riding etc,surprised Cliff has not posted on this one" Most of the money is a total upgrade of the basketball facility. The Council is out of touch as far as Football goes but if you look at who's on the council it's easy to understand why.
To be fair Basketball at the EB venue probably attracts more participants than ALL the football clubs in Whitehorse put together. However, when the planning report on sport in Whitehorse was put together, Basketball Victoria told the council that there was no shortage of courts in Whitehorse. They also made the point that there were to be 5 courts added in Manningham (finished) and 12 courts added to the State Basketball Centre in Knox (to be finished in 2023). Although the council noted the advice from Basketball Victoria about these nearby new developments it appears that they ignored it. It probably boils down to the number people lobbying for basketball within the council.

To be fair Basketball at the EB venue probably attracts more participants than ALL the football clubs in Whitehorse put together. However, when the planning report on sport in Whitehorse was put together, Basketball Victoria told the council that there was no shortage of courts in Whitehorse. They also made the point that there were to be 5 courts added in Manningham (finished) and 12 courts added to the State Basketball Centre in Knox (to be finished in 2023). Although the council noted the advice from Basketball Victoria about these nearby new developments it appears that they ignored it. It probably boils down to the number people lobbying for basketball within the council.
Councillors I have spoken to admit there is a problem with shortages of ovals in the eastern part of Whitehorse.My gut feeling is the same as yours,they will sell off Silver Grove to developers.Around the corner from Silver Grove we have all this new development on the old Nunawading Brick work site.If we are going to increase the number of people living in this area important we need also to look at the existing roads,sporting facilities schools etc.We need more open space,not less.

Councillors I have spoken to admit there is a problem with shortages of ovals in the eastern part of Whitehorse.My gut feeling is the same as yours,they will sell off Silver Grove to developers.Around the corner from Silver Grove we have all this new development on the old Nunawading Brick work site.If we are going to increase the number of people living in this area important we need also to look at the existing roads,sporting facilities schools etc.We need more open space,not less.
There are to be 2 new ovals and a clubroom at Davy Lane. Not sure of who will be using it for football as it is half way between the Forest Hill and East Burwood grounds. Plenty of cricket clubs will be interested.
The increased population is why the Whitehorse Council is introducing their Development Contributions Plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To put the $108,535,000 into perspective, in 2022, $78.1 Million was spent for the entirety of Whitehorse. The money to be spent on the basketball stadium is nearly 90% of the entire total of the 2022 funding.

To put the $108,535,000 into perspective, in 2022, $78.1 Million was spent for the entirety of Whitehorse. The money to be spent on the basketball stadium is nearly 90% of the entire total of the 2022 funding.

Sorry cliff will hijack this to make a few points (hopefully not too controversial!)

- Blackburn juniors had been using Whitehorse reserve G as the kids are off the main deck at Morton while it settles. However Whitehorse is atrocious and we are now using Elgar park.

- nunawading basketball stadium probably does need a rebuild and/or refresh. They are talking 11 court facility - the comp does use significant school facilities around the area and obviously more courts at the stadium would alleviate this.

- however the EB reserve plan needs to desperately upgrade the old pavilion on the OG EB ground - that could be used by EB juniors and/or as an ‘overflow’ venue

- mitcham juniors could set up at mullauna much like Vermont has at Livingstone

- my guess is Davy lane will be Vermont juniors (potentially) or would council seek to move the zebras there and free up forest hill reserve to expand the pool or build some more houses?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was last at East Burwood around 5-7 years ago I reckon and then both grounds looked like they could use a fresh pavilion. TBF i didn't go inside but even the main pavilion from the outside looked like it could do with some TLC... maybe just a bit of paint though!

Sorry cliff will hijack this to make a few points (hopefully not too controversial!)

- Blackburn juniors had been using Whitehorse reserve G as the kids are off the main deck at Morton while it settles. However Whitehorse is atrocious and we are now using Elgar park.

- nunawading basketball stadium probably does need a rebuild and/or refresh. They are talking 11 court facility - the comp does use significant school facilities around the area and obviously more courts at the stadium would alleviate this.

- however the EB reserve plan needs to desperately upgrade the old pavilion on the OG EB ground - that could be used by EB juniors and/or as an ‘overflow’ venue

- my guess is Davy lane will be Vermont juniors (potentially) or would council seek to move the zebras there and free up forest hill reserve to expand the pool or build some more houses?

Both pavilions are going to be demolished. The new rooms will serve both grounds. Forest Hill may end up at Davy Lane. One oval is smaller and designed for junior football. The proposed clubrooms look really good, even though they have been reduced in size to satisfy the people who want to walk their dogs there. My feeling is it will become the junior location for Forest Hill. It would be of great interest to them considering that Parkmore Primary Schhol and Emmaus are right next door to the grounds. I am hoping that if Forest Hill do end up moving there, the old ground will become the location of the new Whitehorse Indoor Sports Facility. I do not believe for an instant that the use of school facilities will drop. Even if they aren't being fully utilised, basketball will make sure they are unavailable to other sporting associations.

Last edited:

1 A wise move trying to keep most traffic off the new deck at Morton Park for 12 months.When Walker Park was done 3 or 4 years ago the people that did the job also advised but only having 1 ground made it near impossible.Would think Vermont would go down the same path when their surface is re done at the end of the current football season.

2 Use of high schools/public schools for junior facilities.Good luck with that one and ex state LNP Dee Ryall had that idea when our member..So we are trying to get Whitehorse council to maintain the facilties ground wise cutting grass etc.Even now we have schools locking down there out door facilities after hours and who can blame them with the ferals that hang around after hours.A good example the Mitcham Primary School netball courts.

2 Use of high schools/public schools for junior facilities.Good luck with that one and ex state LNP Dee Ryall had that idea when our member..So we are trying to get Whitehorse council to maintain the facilties ground wise cutting grass etc.Even now we have schools locking down there out door facilities after hours and who can blame them with the ferals that hang around after hours.A good example the Mitcham Primary School netball courts.
Have you forgotten that MC stood against her at the State Election because she was the one who didn't want to try and do anything with the price the LNP wanted for the Nunawading site. She talked a lot but achieved very little.
Your comments about ferals is one of the reasons why schools and the State Govt want people using school facilities, because if people are around, ferals aren't. You get less damage and a better opinion of the school by the local community. Your club will never find out what they can achieve without the conversation. It would be a wonderful opportunity to get access to kids from U8 to U17. They are much more keen to play in a team if they are playing with their mates. Have a chat to you mate Ben and see what help he can offer. It might take a while but it would set up your footy and cricket clubs for the future.

EDIT: Anyway GMac you don't have an ice creams hope in hell of convincing the council to construct a new oval near the Mitcham ground. Mullauna is your biggest chance for a second ground. Get your club to talk to everyone involved, the Council, Education Dept and the State Govt. The sooner you start the sooner it will happen.

Last edited:
There are to be 2 new ovals and a clubroom at Davy Lane. Not sure of who will be using it for football as it is half way between the Forest Hill and East Burwood grounds. Plenty of cricket clubs will be interested.
The increased population is why the Whitehorse Council is introducing their Development Contributions Plan.
Would be happy to be proved wrong but I can't see Davy Lane getting that sort of redevelopment. They would need to spend an awful lot of money to get Davy Lane to be able to host footy. Where the cricket pitch currently is there's something like a 10m difference in elevation from the northern side of the ground to the southern side. You couldn't play footy on it without some serious levelling of the ground. I can't see the users of the dog off leash space letting it go without a fight and the cost of redevelopment will make it hard to get it through I reckon.

Would be happy to be proved wrong but I can't see Davy Lane getting that sort of redevelopment. They would need to spend an awful lot of money to get Davy Lane to be able to host footy. Where the cricket pitch currently is there's something like a 10m difference in elevation from the northern side of the ground to the southern side. You couldn't play footy on it without some serious levelling of the ground. I can't see the users of the dog off leash space letting it go without a fight and the cost of redevelopment will make it hard to get it through I reckon.
It's happening. Originally there were to be cricket nets and the pavilion was to be bigger, with a larger viewing area between the ground and the pavilion. The plans were changed after complaints from dog walkers. The parking area remains. It's in the pipeline and will happen.
updated concept plan

Davy Lane Reserve Opportunities

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back