NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Having had a chat with a couple of Mitcham's stalwarts on Sunday, they weren't sure they were ready to go back up or financially if they could afford the jump. Others at the club may have a different view. Either way a Premiership is a terrific accomplishment and you would think that the standards set by these clubs will improve next year with the added incentive of promotion next year.

This is the other side of the coin, clubs best interests may in fact be no promotion when they’re strong because it is damn hard to compete with the top 3 Premier clubs. Yet you can remain in Division 1 and taste successs, probably a better outcome.

Ultimately not every club strives to play in the top grade as it’s just not realistic to be a threat. Clubs I’m sure are far more enjoyable winning in Div 1 or 2 than losing every week in premier.

Stepping up to the Premier Division to compete against clubs with cash to burn isn't competition. Sure there's a salary cap/point system but the money and other offers outside that cap to compete against comes into play. That's not knocking those clubs, they deserve to be there but they are well-managed clubs that are highly professional that can pay a lot of people to fill various roles that do not come under the salary cap. Throw in they have massive resources that most clubs simply can't compete against in the long term. Many clubs are simply made up of volunteers. Sooner or later egos may give way and common sense comes into play and a club/s simply says that they can't go up as they can't compete.

The EFNL juniors was on FB,not sure whether they do the same with Seniors.
It will probably be released in the pay per view format, before it filters down through the EFNL (as per recent history). Pathetic really!
Boronia, however, have a really good summary of their players results.

Or you can watch this, you'll get winners but not all the votes:

Last edited:
Great work by all the volunteers at Bayswater today. Huge crowd, was hard to get a drink or take a piss but everyone was doing their best.

I love this day because you get to hear all the rumours going round.

• East Burwood was all set to name their coach but their preferred candidate declined the job at the last minute.
  • Ferntree Gully has no money and hasn't paid their players. Some players have not received any match payments yet.
  • Knox Council tried to cap the attendance at 5,000 late this week for today's grand final and sent the league into a spin.
  • Usual Doncaster rumours
  • Boronia set to announce another signing just 'as good as Begley', to ensure they actually get promoted next year. Some concern that Croydon will be ultra competitive in Div 2 from the Boronia faithful. They are desperate to go up.

Great work by all the volunteers at Bayswater today. Huge crowd, was hard to get a drink or take a piss but everyone was doing their best.

• East Burwood was all set to name their coach but their preferred candidate declined the job at the last minute.
  • Ferntree Gully has no money and hasn't paid their players. Some players have not received any match payments yet.
  • Knox Council tried to cap the attendance at 5,000 late this week for today's grand final and sent the league into a spin.
  • Boronia set to announce another signing just 'as good as Begley', to ensure they actually get promoted next year. Some concern that Croydon will be ultra competitive in Div 2 from the Boronia faithful. They are desperate to go up.

Will be tough to repeat for Boronia and they’ll have a lot more than Croydon to worry about. I don’t care who you are or who you recruit… they are bloody hard to win. Obviously you can give yourself the best chance but a lot that is out of your control has to go right. Look no further than South Belgrave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s ok to go out and recruit and win a premiership but if you have don’t have the youth and u19s coming through which I believe they probably won’t again next year for the 3rd year in a row then it has the potential to turn to shite

It’s ok to go out and recruit and win a premiership but if you have don’t have the youth and u19s coming through which I believe they probably won’t again next year for the 3rd year in a row then it has the potential to turn to shite

Boronia didn't have 19s again this year? I cant believe that has happened.

Their winning premiership side did have a lot of young looking players though.

Boronia didn't have 19s again this year? I cant believe that has happened.

Their winning premiership side did have a lot of young looking players though.
Norwood the only Prem club without 19s. Div1 had a full 10 club comp.

Div2 had a lot of gaps. EB confident they'll come back in. Wonder if anyone else will

1694919703060.png

Aus kick is where it all starts.If you want a successful senior football club this is the" most important part "of any football club.
You definitely have to respect every step of the football journey. You take any of it for granted at your peril

I believe there used to be some sort of penalty for not having 19s and it might be time to look at that again. An often forgotten factor is how much it ****s around with the other clubs in the division who don’t get a full home match day, or who’s volunteers have to be running around to different grounds because of the mismatch in fixtures. It really lets the other clubs down.

I understand it is hard but it has always been very hard and was a massive undertaking every off season to pull a group together - as it is the age you lose many. I would hope those clubs without them are doing absolutely everything possible, particularly those who have junior clubs.

I believe there used to be some sort of penalty for not having 19s and it might be time to look at that again. An often forgotten factor is how much it *s around with the other clubs in the division who don’t get a full home match day, or who’s volunteers have to be running around to different grounds because of the mismatch in fixtures. It really lets the other clubs down.

I understand it is hard but it has always been very hard and was a massive undertaking every off season to pull a group together - as it is the age you lose many. I would hope those clubs without them are doing absolutely everything possible, particularly those who have junior clubs.
A tough one but not sure about aligning U19 teams with their senior clubs especially in the top grades.Works the other way to,Surrey Park D4 seniors their U19,s played D2 and won it and I think East Burwood played in Premier U19,s a few seasons back where their seniors played in the lower grade.As you said a big ask for club volunteers to be running around every where because of a mis match in fixtures but is happening with senior womans matches at the moment and can not see that changing in the short term.

iirc until Balwyn arrived it was your senior team couldn't be in Div 1 (now Premier) if you had no Colts.

Just looked at the annual reports on the website which only go back to 2003, but in that year Donvale were in D1 and did not field colts at all 2003 to 2006

Balwyn came in 2007 and appear to have colts in that year, as do all clubs in D1.

As for the last point, I think Croydon at present would be of similar standard to Heathmont and Templestowe. Lilydale would be similar to The Basin. Don't worry though, Croydon will give Boronia a run for their money and my early prediction is that these two clubs will play off in the grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back