Premiers: Croydon
Relegated: Mulgrave

Division 3:

Premiers: Coldstream
Relegated: Warrandyte

Division 4:

Premiers: Kilsyth
Spoon: Nunawading

RIP East Burwood legend Norm McClean who passed away yesterday. He played 210 games, was a 6 time premiership player and also a wonderful finals performer.
He was a member of the EBFC team of the century, a life member and a regular representative in EDFL teams.
Would have loved to have seen you again at yesterday's function, but sadly for everyone, it didn't eventuate.

Premier
Flag - Rowville (even stronger in 2024)
Relegated: Norwood (in deep trouble and could struggle to fill 2 teams)
Surprise: East Ringwood will go very well

D1
Flag - South Belgrave (the additional recruits and coin spent mean there is no second prize or it’s all over)
Relegated: Doncaster (going to be hard for them going by what I’m hearing)
Surprise: Wantirna South will go well with an excellent new coach

D2
Flag - Boronia (will be well ahead again)
Relegated: Lilydale (not looking good there with poor numbers and loss of more players)
Surprise: The Basin will improve greatly with a good combination of youth and experience. Finals a possibility.

D3
Flag - Coldstream (due to the Powelltown mercenary effect)
Relegated: UFTG (in trouble again)
Surprise: Surrey Park will win more games than they lose

D4
Flag - Kilsyth (the drought will be broken)
Spoon: CN MLOC (how they are still going is beyond me)
Surprise: Nunawading may win a few games in 2024

Premier
Flag - Rowville (even stronger in 2024)
Relegated: Norwood (in deep trouble and could struggle to fill 2 teams)
Surprise: East Ringwood will go very well

D1
Flag - South Belgrave (the additional recruits and coin spent mean there is no second prize or it’s all over)
Relegated: Doncaster (going to be hard for them going by what I’m hearing)
Surprise: Wantirna South will go well with an excellent new coach

D2
Flag - Boronia (will be well ahead again)
Relegated: Lilydale (not looking good there with poor numbers and loss of more players)
Surprise: The Basin will improve greatly with a good combination of youth and experience. Finals a possibility.

D3
Flag - Coldstream (due to the Powelltown mercenary effect)
Relegated: UFTG (in trouble again)
Surprise: Surrey Park will win more games than they lose

D4
Flag - Kilsyth (the drought will be broken)
Spoon: CN MLOC (how they are still going is beyond me)
Surprise: Nunawading may win a few games in 2024
Powelltown Mercenary effect Hahaha, have they finally gone up to division two AFL south east? Feels like they've been at the top of div 3 forever and never gone up.

I'm curious on why you think nunawading may win a few games? they beat CNMLOC twice and lost to them once last year, couldn't even get close to forest hill round 1 when they had half a side out for a wedding?

Agreed with Upper gully, does anyone know if their facilities debacle been resolved yet? Standard knox council

So many clubs have had a large exodus. And i'm sure money or lack thereof has a lot to do with it

So many clubs have had a large exodus. And i'm sure money or lack thereof has a lot to do with it

From a Div 3 perspective I think Coldstream will be a big improver. Things are looking really good, whether that can match Donvale who knows

However i think the Donvale effect has caused carnage for some other clubs. Silvan, FTG, Fairpark and Warrandyte have all lost a heap from the top and have no where near replaced it. Oakleigh lost their gun forward but have recruited a bit.

The unknown is the 2 teams coming down and the team coming up. I thought UFTG were meant to have recruited well?

Powelltown Mercenary effect Hahaha, have they finally gone up to division two AFL south east? Feels like they've been at the top of div 3 forever and never gone up.

I'm curious on why you think nunawading may win a few games? they beat CNMLOC twice and lost to them once last year, couldn't even get close to forest hill round 1 when they had half a side out for a wedding?

Agreed with Upper gully, does anyone know if their facilities debacle been resolved yet? Standard knox council

Upper cricket club have been in the rooms etc for the season. Will certainly help steady up the footy club, having a genuine home again. Functions & off field etc.
I think they might be a little more competitive than some think. Should have a reasonable 19s again which will help in time to come.

From a Div 3 perspective I think Coldstream will be a big improver. Things are looking really good, whether that can match Donvale who knows

However i think the Donvale effect has caused carnage for some other clubs. Silvan, FTG, Fairpark and Warrandyte have all lost a heap from the top and have no where near replaced it. Oakleigh lost their gun forward but have recruited a bit.

The unknown is the 2 teams coming down and the team coming up. I thought UFTG were meant to have recruited well?

Coldstream will go very well. The coach is good and the “merry men” from Powelltown are good players and will make a big difference.

Agree about the losses of players. Fairpark will be fine but Silvan, Warrandyte and FTG have seen big losses of players. Can’t work out FTG, strong juniors with big numbers and their location should have them as a very strong club in a higher division. When things seem to look rosy they again drop away. Funny club.

UFTG are relying on the young players they have. Some promising types and a good coach but not sure there is enough there to avoid relegation. Warrandyte will be in the mix with them.

Upper cricket club have been in the rooms etc for the season. Will certainly help steady up the footy club, having a genuine home again. Functions & off field etc.
I think they might be a little more competitive than some think. Should have a reasonable 19s again which will help in time to come.
They just need to make sure that they hang on to this batch of U19's. The last great U19 side they had, were going to set up the club for years to come, but were quickly extracted from the club by other EFNL teams. Great to see they finally will have rooms and what a poor reflection on the capability of the Knox Council on how they dealt with the issue.

They just need to make sure that they hang on to this batch of U19's. The last great U19 side they had, were going to set up the club for years to come, but were quickly extracted from the club by other EFNL teams. Great to see they finally will have rooms and what a poor reflection on the capability of the Knox Council on how they dealt with the issue.

Don’t start me about Knox Council. Used to be a leader in the provision of parks, sportsfields and facilities and the envy of others. They are useless now and the UFTG situation and how it was managed was a disgrace. Their efforts with the proposed new pavilion for Tormore Reserve was no better considering the tenant clubs had secured all the funding and the Council stated it wasn’t a priority at this time. Pathetic.

Fortunately the new pavilion is now going ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazingly the city of Casey which has no Councillors prioritises all sports equally. If something needs done they do it. Casey has Council elections later this year. A club that is in negotiations with a Council for new club rooms struggles to speak to the same person each time they are in contact with them. Each contact with the council they get the "acting" person. They call back, "I am now the acting" person. It changes every time and is very frustrating. Adding to their Frustration there will be new Council Elections this year so new people to deal with.

Biggest problem is the merry go round of council staff they bring in have no sports background.

A Maroondah based club was having trouble fitting all their senior and junior trainings onto their home ground as their feeder oval was given away. The solution offered by the fresh out of uni council staff member was that senior men could train Friday nights instead of Thursday nights or would it be possible for some teams to train during the day..

The recruiting process of Councils/Governments is farcical. They advertise and the person has already been selected internally or from another Council department. Then there are quotas for a certain % of Staff to be Martians etc.

Coldstream will go very well. The coach is good and the “merry men” from Powelltown are good players and will make a big difference.

Agree about the losses of players. Fairpark will be fine but Silvan, Warrandyte and FTG have seen big losses of players. Can’t work out FTG, strong juniors with big numbers and their location should have them as a very strong club in a higher division. When things seem to look rosy they again drop away. Funny club.

UFTG are relying on the young players they have. Some promising types and a good coach but not sure there is enough there to avoid relegation. Warrandyte will be in the mix with them.
It will be interesting to see how all those old Coldstream recruits go on their massive home deck.

The recruiting process of Councils/Governments is farcical. They advertise and the person has already been selected internally or from another Council department. Then there are quotas for a certain % of Staff to be Martians etc.

It's craziness.

They also try to push those quotas on clubs.

Clubs are made up on volunteers, you take what you can get.

If you are working in sport / facilities for a council then you need to have club experience. None of them seem to.

Final ladders of each grade, will revisit this post in late August to see how accurate it is. Premier in bold.

Balwyn
Doncaster East
Vermont
East Ringwood
Rowville
Noble Park
Blackburn
South Croydon
Berwick
Norwood

South Belgrave
Montrose
Park Orchards
Mitcham
Beaconsfield
Wantirna South
North Ringwood
Bayswater
Mooroolbark
Doncaster

Boronia
Croydon
East Burwood
Heathmont
Mulgrave
Templestowe
The Basin
Waverley Blues
Ringwood
Lilydale

Donvale
Oakleigh District
Surrey Park
Knox
Coldstream
Warrandyte
Ferntree Gully
Fairpark
Upper FTG
Silvan

Kilsyth
Scoresby (to cause upsets in finals!)
Whitehorse Pioneers
Forest Hill
Chirnside Park
Nunawading
Croydon North - MLOC

is there a major lack of quality in div 4 or is the comp really even? because out of 7 sides this thread has managed to tip 4 different wooden spooners

is there a major lack of quality in div 4 or is the comp really even? because out of 7 sides this thread has managed to tip 4 different wooden spooners
Not sure how much Div4 most posters would have seen. Nuna and CNOB have both struggled in recent years, and I'm guessing outs > ins for Forest Hill. Whitehorse are coming down and sounds like they've lost a few too. Seems like there's going to be a gap between top 3 and next 4, but hard to rank 4-7

Whitehorse were pretty competitive in a heap of games in Div 3 last year. They would have to have lost 20 players to be at the Nuna/CNMLOC level. There is a lot of talk that Forest Hill have lost a heap. I think it will end up being between Nuna and Croydon North again.

Whitehorse were pretty competitive in a heap of games in Div 3 last year. They would have to have lost 20 players to be at the Nuna/CNMLOC level. There is a lot of talk that Forest Hill have lost a heap. I think it will end up being between Nuna and Croydon North again.
Having no u19s makes it so tough. or any feeder program to be honest.

I heard anyone associated with mount lilydale oc left after the first year of the kangarams. So much so I'm shocked they still carry the name, unless there was a designated time period in the merge that it couldn't be changed again. They got a vets and a girls team up, just struggling to recruit anyone to help them push up the ladder

Long time no post.Surprised how many of you are making your selections before we even had practice matches.Do you mind Mitcham on the slide,have not recruited any one etc.Look at the Mitcham Football Club facebook page for updates where they are at.It seems we are the under dog as every one thinks South Belgrave have the flag all ready,I love the underdog tag but really rate that club as the team to beat as well.Of what I saw last season Beaconsfield and North Ringwood impressed me.As for Park Orchards and Doncaster they are the unknown.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back