Review Nowaynowaynowaynoway

Remove this Banner Ad

Between Houston going off the line and gaining a ft in the slide he marked it Houston is a lucky boy
Strange call. Here's the relevant rule:

"where the Kick will occur after the siren, the Player shall be entitled to approach The Mark from any direction, as long as the location of the Kick does not improve the angle to the goal posts."

He hooked slightly right, worsening his angle. But jeez the ump would've had to be a real pedant to call that even if he'd hooked left.

Agree. He had an important last quarter when others around him just couldn’t lift.

We’re leaving a huge amount to Butters and Rozee in the midfield.

Boak and Wines haven’t been anywhere near their best nor consistent enough all year.

Drew is playing his role but we still need third and fourth mids to get going.

JHF is still very much a bits and pieces midfielder. You’d expect this in his second year in the AFL and first year with us. At this stage, he either creates the miraculous clearance by fending off opponents or more often gets caught. With Bonner, and previously Sinn on the wings, we’ve got little ball winning support.

For us to challenge Collingwood when the whips are cracking, Butters and Rozee need serious help. Wines, Boak, Duursma are the keys. JHF could be a bonus but he may not have a big September in him just yet. He will of course in the future.

Post of the night

Wow! The great escape And with that, we become the only team to win coming off the bye against an opponent who played last week.

It wasn't pretty. We looked like all those other loser clubs after a week off, a bit fumbly, a bit reluctant to take the game on. But when it counted, and we had to come from behind in the final term, muscle memory of 11 straight wins and the belief of several close wins kicked in. Finlayson and Burton kicked big outside 50 goals to put us in front, then the brilliant Rozee snared his third and DBJ got one over the back, and we should have been safe. But to Essendons' credit, they didn't give up and their ruck advantage got them back in front. But when Danny marked on 50, I just knew he had the distance, and so it proved. What a boyhood dream, kicking a winning goal after the siren on the MCG!

I was concerned when Lycett didn't front up for the first bounce, and it took an inordinate amount of time for Visentini to get ready and enter the fray. All night, we looked like struggling at clearances because of the ruck situation, but i think we won centre clearances and pretty much drew even in overall stoppages so it wasn't too decisive. We really should have gapped the Bombers in the first, but 5 or 6 consecutive behinds kept them interested, and they had periods where the dominated us and we only just held firm. The umpires did their best to ignore any infraction by Bombers in front of goal, and it galls me that we have to put up with this shit EVERY DAMN WEEK! But the players used to it now; they almost expect it, and get on with the game.

Powell-Pepper - Brutal. Straight-lines the ball, and woe betide any opponent in his way. Could have made more of his chances, but keeps the ball in our area with extreme pressure, and adds another big body in front half stoppages. 7/10

Burton - Crucial goal from range in the last. Just has dropped off in his defensive efforts, and was one of the main culprits at letting Bombers players get loose in their F50, but overall, he -gave good rebound and a calm head down back when required. 6/10

Marshall - Quiet night, well held by Ridley and conditions made it tough. Seemed to be one of the players who was suffering bye-blues, kept getting in Dixon's way and dragging Ridley across with him. Needs to get back to being a dangerous option and separating the oppositions key defenders. 4/10

Houston - Matchwinner! Led us in disposals, showed great hands in slippery conditions all night, then sets up perfectly inside the final minute and capitalised on a panic dump kick to put himself in the position to be the hero. He doesn't play tight on anyone down back, but floats up to be the extra man around stoppages who gets the ball to pump it forward with his deadly boot. Can do some dumb things at times, like giving away obvious 50m penalties, and that is the only reason that he doesn't score a rare 10. 9/10

Farrell - Getting better with each passing week, and so damaging when he gets it, too. It must be easy to be precise with long kicks when so little effort goes into the contact point! But what impressed me most tonight was his defensive efforts; he was strong and brave in marking contests and got his knees dirty at ground level. 8/10

Butters - Just superb, and we have been conditioned that this bloke makes the exceptional look routine. The clean hands in the wet, the vision to use the ball with precision and penetration, the toughness to get inside and take the hits and the attitude that he will never be beaten have carried us a long way this season, and is rubbing off onto his team-mates. Should get more coaches votes this week, and is tracking beautifully. 9/10

Boak - Only 8 disposals, and only two of them were kicks. Just couldn't get his hands on it, and seemed to be playing forward of the contest a lot. Should have got a free kick 15m out for being decapitated in the 3rd term, but not impactful in any way otherwise. 3/10

Finlayson - Jezza is just about my favourite player now, he takes on so much responsibility to fill holes in the team makeup, never sulks and takes his opportunity to bang through the goal in the last term that gave us belief. He battles manfully in ruck, and got a couple of clearances when in there, but is best suited as the wide-ranging tall forward. However, tonight he had to play a role, and he is so consistent and must be admired. 8/10

McKenzie - Great game, even though Langford got a couple of goals on him. It's gotta be hard to play full back, if your opponent gets only a couple of chances but takes every one of them. However, he kept the structure of the backline functioning, took some great intercept marks when the game was on the line and cleared the zone well with his kicks. 7/10

Bergman - A bit quiet, only 7 touches, but he seems to be getting regarded as a KPD lately, which doesn't really allow him to use his strengths of intercept marking and rebounding. Can be a better contributor, but tonight required a different mindset, and he carried it out well. 5/10

Wines - Very quiet, and beyond the point where his injury in the pre-season can be used as an excuse. Conditions were made for him, and he went missing - only 13 touches. The good news is that he is bound to improve, but it is worrying that he is no longer the first player to go into contests and that he is so indecisive when he gets the ball outside. 3/10

Horne-Francis - Invisible in the first half, JHF improved after the break, in conditions he thrives in, and was impactful with his few disposals. Probably got the bye-blues, but also may be struggling with the demands of a season with lots of midfield time. 4/10

Rozee - Brilliant, easily our best before the rain came, and continued to a lesser degree after the break. Three goals in a low-scoring game from a midfielder is critical contribution, but he also won centre clearances, cleared stoppages and drove the ball inside 50. Only trailed Butters for metres gained, which is an important stat on a wet night. 9/10

Aliir - Just superb, beat Peter Wright pointless, and took critical intercept marks all night, but lifted himself even higher when the gamne was on the line. Having a great year, and is better in one-on-one contests this season than he has been in the past. His reading of the ball, and positioning himself in the drop zone, is amongst the best in the game. 8/10

Dixon - Looks hobbled, and has lost mobility and any nimbleness he had. Really needs some weeks off, as his presence is still compelling, but if he doesn't mark he becomes a liability at ground level, the odd big tackle notwithstanding. Needs to make the most of the chances that he gets, because he seems to be a fading force. 4/10

Williams - Getting better and better. Positioned himself perfectly behind the ball, took some terrific marks and played tough defence when needed. His kicking was a bit off, I reckon he shinned at least 3 that led to Essendon scores, but it didn't affect his confidence and he was influential in the result. 7/10

Bonner - Plays outside way too much, his focus is on being a receiver, and let's face it - he's not a good contest player anyway. When he got it tonight, he used in constructively, but his lack of urgency and inability to defend is starting to grate on me, and is the reason that he is a fringe player. 5/10

Drew - Couldn't contain Merrett, but stayed with the Bomber skipper all night. He does his bit when he gets it, but I thought that he failed in the task assigned to him tonight. 4/10

Byrne-Jones - A bit obscure tonight, he usually has a role in the forward line but I couldn't see what it was. Got out the back to score an important goal in the last term, but otherwise rarely seen to get involved. 4/10

Burgoyne - On as the sub, probably a little too late to make any significant impact, but he didn't look any fresher than players who were there from the start. 2/10

Visentini - Look, it's hard to make an impact when you are told to get ready a minute before the first bounce, and then take your place on the bench 10 minutes into a game. And it's unfair to criticise him for not having any impact at all. How he would wish to have a debut where he gets a guernsey presentation, gets his family in the rooms and can prepare properly. But he must be thrilled with the way the game ended. Congratulations on your debut, young man - I hope it's your worst game ever! 1/10

McEntee - Contributed pressure in the forward line, but little else. Bye-blues? 2/10

Narkle - Not as impressive as his Power debut, but still looks a class above the other options among the 20th-25th ranked players in the playing group. I thought he had some chances to impact, but wasted them, and he can't afford to do that or he will lose his spot. 2/10

So 12 in a row, and going for THIRTEEN against a pathetic (but still dangerous) Suns outfit next Saturday night, we have players who should be better for getting back into it, and players who must be looking over their shoulders to see where the next big selection statement will target.

As good as that finish was, I hope they review that as hard as a loss. After first qtr it felt like they were harder around the contest, applied more pressure and controlled the game. Things we have been better than everyone else at the past 3 months.

Thought that was Faz' best AFL game he's played. Houston obviously immense, and whilst it wasn't his greatest game I thought Butters was still hugely important. Also nice to see Rozee back to his skilful finishing as well.

On the flip side, that effort from Bonner deep in defensive 50 when it was his turn to go, was as bad as you'll see. Fortunately for him it somehow didn't cost us a goal, so he might escape the warranted media criticism but if we're serious we can't carry those types of (non) efforts. Hopefully X checks all the boxes and can play next week in that wing role.

Houston off the HBF had 4 clearances tonight, the most by a port player.

In the last quarter he had 11 disposals, 6 were ccontestedpossessions and had 5 intecepts, 2 marks and 2 inside 50s. That last one being the most important one.

Strange call. Here's the relevant rule:

"where the Kick will occur after the siren, the Player shall be entitled to approach The Mark from any direction, as long as the location of the Kick does not improve the angle to the goal posts."

He hooked slightly right, worsening his angle. But jeez the ump would've had to be a real pedant to call that even if he'd hooked left.
His planted leg when he kicks, is to the left of the man of the mark. When he started slightly inboard and finishes sligjtly outboard

1 enough for me to be annoyed if it happened to us

2 enough for him to get some swinging momentum in his hips for that extra power

When its on YouTube and easier to cut and edit I'll post it up

Bonnet wasn’t the worst but is an easy target for the low brows. Next target for dumbasses is Marshall.

If you’re defending Bonner dude then you need to get off the meth dead set he’s played a good final once and otherwise is as soft as ****ing shite

Is the antithesis of a Port Adelaide footballer

Well our 12 wins have been bookend by a shot on goal after the siren, that the oppo didnt make the distance to win the game - well Aliir intercepted it before going over the line, and Houston after the siren kicking a goal and 6 or 7 oppo players couldnt intercept it.

Dont know if that means the streak is over.

His planted leg when he kicks, is to the left of the man of the mark. When he started slightly inboard and finishes sligjtly outboard

16F30F1B-85BA-4DA7-9622-B3BD75455E70.jpeg

Carn dude just enjoy it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well our 12 wins have been bookend by a shot on goal after the siren, that the oppo didnt make the distance to win the game - well Aliir intercepted it before going over the line, and Houston after the siren kicking a goal and 6 or 7 oppo players couldnt intercept it.

Dont know if that means the streak is over.
We should beat the Gold Coast comfortably, but who knows really.

Go duck yourself bagging bonnet. Half the team were down tonight and bonnet wasn’t one
Bonner had an opportunity at top of square to impact a contest and absolutely chickened out, i was cursing his lack of commitment then. Later on Farrel put himself in harms way and took a great mark and it reminded me how soft bonner is

kigGzWR.jpg

Houston off the HBF had 4 clearances tonight, the most by a port player.

In the last quarter he had 11 disposals, 6 were ccontestedpossessions and had 5 intecepts, 2 marks and 2 inside 50s. That last one being the most important one.

That’s a damning stat really

Also shows how complete his game was

Feel like we are one gorilla defender from having an amazing backline

We should beat the Gold Coast comfortably, but who knows really.
Who knows?
It’s week by week.

I thought we were clicking in the lead up to the bye, playing more dominant footy in the second half against Geelong with a greater spread of contributors, but tonight was back to us winning like the 2022 version of Collingwood.

Hard to know if we have as much scope for improvement as Collingwood, Brisbane and some of the other teams do going towards September.

Will Dixon ever play fit again?
If he doesn’t, can Marshall be more of a presence in big games than what he showed tonight?

Will someone stand up to help Butters and Rozee? Can Wines, Boak and JHF lift and find a consistent run of form?

Is Duursma going to be a factor?
How does Rioli’s mourning affect his productivity? Is Fantasia a complete lost cause.

Will we get something meaningful out of Burgoyne, Sinn, Narkle or Jackson as sub?

Does Jones come back to take the most dangerous opposition small-mid forward so that we’re not exposed to Burton’s ambivalent approach to defending?

Finally, and most importantly, does Lycett’s body stand up?

Na, it was fine and within the rules. You're off target with this one.

We got half back flankers and midfielders kicking most of our goals but it as bonnets fault
Geez mate! I am Mr Positive here, but Bonner was terrible! It was not about playing badly or having an off game, a lot had that tonight. It was his lack of effort, running in treacle, lack of urgency, unwillingness to contest a loose ball.

I normally dont mind Bonner, but he was next-level bad tonight IMO.

Who knows?
It’s week by week.

I thought we were clicking in the lead up to the bye, playing more dominant footy in the second half against Geelong with a greater spread of contributors, but tonight was back to us winning like the 2022 version of Collingwood.

Hard to know if we have as much scope for improvement as Collingwood, Brisbane and some of the other teams do going towards September.

Will Dixon ever play fit again?
If he doesn’t, can Marshall be more of a presence in big games than what he showed tonight?

Will someone stand up to help Butters and Rozee? Can Wines, Boak and JHF lift and find a consistent run of form?

Is Duursma going to be a factor?
How does Rioli’s mourning affect his productivity? Is Fantasia a complete lost cause.

Will we get something meaningful out of Burgoyne, Sinn, Narkle or Jackson as sub?

Does Jones come back to take the most dangerous opposition small-mid forward so that we’re not exposed to Burton’s ambivalent approach to defending?

Finally, and most importantly, does Lycett’s body stand up?
The next 11 weeks will be telling.

Just on our percentage. Of the current top eight:

Port Adelaide has played 9 games against the top eight for 7 wins (77.8%). 7 of their 13 wins have been against quality opposition (53.8%).

Collingwood has played 7 games against the top eight for 5 wins (71.4%). 5 our their 13 wins have been against quality opposition (38.5%).

Brisbane has played 7 games against the top eight for 4 wins (57.1%). 4 out of their 11 wins have been against quality opposition (36.4%)

Adelaide have played 6 games against the top eight for 3 wins (50%). 3 out of their 8 wins have been against quality opposition (37.5%)

Melbourne has played 5 games against the top eight for 2 wins (40%). 2 out of their 9 wins (10 if they beat GWS) have been against quality opposition (22.2%/20% if they beat GWS)

The Western Bulldogs have played 6 games against the top eight for 2 wins (33.3%). 2 out of their 9 wins have been against quality opposition (22.2%)

St Kilda have played 6 games against the top eight for 2 wins (33.3%). 2 out of their 9 wins (they won't lose to WCE) have been against quality opposition (22.2%)

Essendon have played 6 games against the top eight for 1 win (16.7%). 1 of their 8 wins have been against quality opposition (12.5%)

Bring in Rioli, Duursma, Jones and most importantly Lycett into that team and we win comfortably.

I think people are starting to get ahead of themselves a bit here - that's the board, not the players. We've won however many games by a kick or two and we were playing 6th away. We're certainly not unbeatable (winning streak notwithstanding) and a win against Essendon at the G in those circumstances is another feather in the cap as far as I'm concerned. Yet it seemed like many here thought we'd just roll over them.

As it turned out we did absolutely dominate them in the first quarter, but wasted our chances and let them back in. The comeback in the last quarter showed a lot of heart. The way we let them back in after that was the least excusable part of the night but thankfully Houston's super boot rescued us.

That is the first time I've thought the game might have passed Boak by. Let's hope it was just one bad night because he's been pretty serviceable this year and we need him. Very quiet night for Wines and JHF as well. Rozee and Butters again carried us - the fact that Zak is not winning so many plaudits on here for tonight's game just shows how much he's raised the bar. That effort a year ago and we all would have been singing his praises.

Williams has been by far the biggest surprise for me this year. Some of his stuff tonight was elite. He's become one of our most reliable defenders - perhaps the most reliable. Farrell's best performance for the club - he's not a natural defender but he really works hard to offset his weaknesses. His strengths are undeniable.

People were pretty hard on Visentini. Not the ideal circumstances in which to debut and actually thought he showed a bit. Having said that, if Lycett is injured for the finals we are literally risking throwing the entire season away by not playing Hayes. That burst from Essendon at the end was entirely the result of our uncompetitive ruck set-up. Hayes is surely no worse than Teakle and Visentini with his ground game and infinitely better as a tap ruckman. It just seems so needlessly stubborn from the selectors, particularly they've swallowed their pride on other occasions (e.g. Jonas).

I also thought that Narkle was OK for his second AFL game of the year. Did some very good things and kicked an important goal. Sure he fumbled a few but he wasn't alone in that. Duursma for Bonner seems like a pretty obvious upgrade. DBJ seems to have reverted a bit to his form from earlier in the year but showed good desperation in the last.

Allir and McKenzie were both excellent, particularly Allir.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Nowaynowaynowaynoway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back