Review Nowaynowaynowaynoway

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on our percentage. Of the current top eight:

Port Adelaide has played 9 games against the top eight for 7 wins (77.8%). 7 of their 13 wins have been against quality opposition (53.8%).

Collingwood has played 7 games against the top eight for 5 wins (71.4%). 5 our their 13 wins have been against quality opposition (38.5%).

Brisbane has played 7 games against the top eight for 4 wins (57.1%). 4 out of their 11 wins have been against quality opposition (36.4%)

Adelaide have played 6 games against the top eight for 3 wins (50%). 3 out of their 8 wins have been against quality opposition (37.5%)

Melbourne has played 5 games against the top eight for 2 wins (40%). 2 out of their 9 wins (10 if they beat GWS) have been against quality opposition (22.2%/20% if they beat GWS)

The Western Bulldogs have played 6 games against the top eight for 2 wins (33.3%). 2 out of their 9 wins have been against quality opposition (22.2%)

St Kilda have played 6 games against the top eight for 2 wins (33.3%). 2 out of their 9 wins (they won't lose to WCE) have been against quality opposition (22.2%)

Essendon have played 6 games against the top eight for 1 win (16.7%). 1 of their 8 wins have been against quality opposition (12.5%)

Bring in Rioli, Duursma, Jones and most importantly Lycett into that team and we win comfortably.
Interesting set of stats!

I also thought that Narkle was OK for his second AFL game of the year. Did some very good things and kicked an important goal. Sure he fumbled a few but he wasn't alone in that. Duursma for Bonner seems like a pretty obvious upgrade. DBJ seems to have reverted a bit to his form from earlier in the year but showed good desperation in the last.
Did I mishear, or did the commentators mention that Essendon moved a playmaker (Merret? Parish?) into defence to exploit Narkle?

His planted leg when he kicks, is to the left of the man of the mark. When he started slightly inboard and finishes sligjtly outboard

1 enough for me to be annoyed if it happened to us

2 enough for him to get some swinging momentum in his hips for that extra power

When its on YouTube and easier to cut and edit I'll post it up
Laverde seemed to be 5 metres off his line when kicking his goal in Q1. I'd estimate Houston at 2 steps...didn't seem too pronounced to me. See what you are saying though.

To pull off another tough road win in those circumstances was simply outstanding. So many of our players seemed hungover post bye & were no where near their best.

Dan Houston had no right in kicking that goal after the siren. The fatigue, wet conditions, pressure, & distance were all against him, but he just went bang & that’s all she wrote. The dude deserves a knighthood on that effort alone.

Felt for young Dante, not the ideal way for the big fella to kick off his AFL career. Still, you’ll think he’ll learn an enormous amount from that experience & what’s expected at the highest level.

As for Bonner, soft as a wet tortilla & must go out. Narkle will also be on shaky ground given his lack of work effort & intensity for large portions of the match.

Well done Ports.
I had a feeling coming off the bye we’d be a little flat tonight.
But a win like that should hopefully give the lads a degree of confidence winning close games at the G moving forward.
Now that our top 8 position is confirmed, bring on the finals:)

Narkle, Bonner and JnrBurger in one team plus Visentini rolling in at quarter time on a wet deck at the G.

From what I saw at Alberton and at the MCG yesterday Hayes would have been a better inclusion than Visentini. But that is the value of hindsight I guess.
The selectors obviously knew that Lycett was in doubt and took Visentini as insurance so I think we can assume that Ken now rates Sam Hayes as the no4 option and his future at Alberton is clouded.
Narkle was about on a par with Rioli he had 12 possessions and kicked a goal.
Bonner was not our worst.

I agree, that was not our strongest side and to win coming off a bye, away from home in the face of some one sided umpiring was a good effort.

Houston always had the distance covered, but a heavy, soggy ball, unfamiliar territory, the pressure of the moment and the slightly casual start to the run up…

…never in doubt was it? ;)

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like how Dante's mum said he was going to debut against Gold Coast.

His parents were fine television.
I can’t work this out. If one of my lads made it onto a list & they were travelling with the team to our hometown we’d already be going to the game, not settling in front of the telly whilst our son was in town.

Different strokes I guess?

Dan Houston was one of the most underrated players in the league.

That’s one way to make a name for yourself on the national state.

Never in doubt with Dan kicking. Probs 6 players that hardly contributed, coming off the bye & the late withdrawal of Lycett but we still won. Really rate that win.

Thought Narkle had a shocker. What's happened to Burgoyne, has really gone backwards this year. McEntee not really premiership calibre.

Rozee & Houston all class. Thought McKenzie & Aliir were very good. Caldwell is going to be some player.

It all started last year when geelong played port Adelaide at Adelaide oval, and he was quiet as a mouse when geelong got ontop, but he went bizerk when port got the run on in the third quarter… ever since then I noticed similar enthusiasm when port plays and his infront of the TV. Oddly not for other footy sides…

Might chuck him in a nice honey seed stick for his celebration.

No idea what he would want for a grand final party
Buy him a Port beanie 🤣

Interesting in the presser, talking about whether he told Vis he was debuting, Ken said “I was on the bench, I got kicked out of the coaches box, and [Dante] was told when he was up in the box.”
O oh, I hope Ken doesn't lose the plot over this arrangement. He didn't look too impressed with Findlaysons comments when asked about Kens influence from the bench.

As I mentioned in the match thread my concern is that Horne-Francis is getting very little protection from the umpires.
I get that he plays a physical brand of footy and ploughs in pretty hard but some of those holding the balls paid against him would have been deemed high or in the back for a lot of other players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That was a hilarious end. I love seeing people's hearts get ripped out of their chests.
Especially satisfying that it was Essendon and, in my case, being there to see it in person with my daughter, as we attended our first game for 4 years.

I'm sure there are some good people who support Essendon but in my years of living in Melbourne and going to games I've always found them to be the worst of all fan bases, effectively the Victorian equivalent of Adelaide and West Coast fans.

We had a good view of Dan's final kick. I was pretty confident after he took the mark that he could slot it and once it left his boot was never in doubt. It was a fitting end to a game that I think Port deserved to win. Essendon fought hard and made them earn it but overall they looked a class below Port.

Port weren't at their best tonight but I put that down to the 70sDinosaur jinx, as their record in Melbourne games that I attend is abysmal. That's the real reason we've suddenly become unbeatable at the Docklands in recent years as I've stayed away from the joint.

So I'm relieved that the current winning streak didn't come to an end in my presence tonight and that my daughter at least has a perfect 3 from 3 record in Port games attended at the MCG. I hope Port's next visit to the MCG this season will be on Grand Final day and I promise to do my bit to help win the premiership by staying well away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Nowaynowaynowaynoway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back