Obvious mistakes in betting markets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crazy Snowman

Draftee
Jul 20, 2011
exton
AFL Club
Essendon
Can anyone explain what happens in the case of an obvious error in the market, i have just found one and i'm not sure whether it's something one should take advantage of or not. Is it up to the bookmaker to get it right?

Most will just get refunded, some will get paid out. If you smash an obvious one then you will probably get your account marked and eventually limited.

Depends on the bookie. The result can be any or many of:
* honouring without any repercussions.
* Mark against your name.
* Changing the odds (only 1 dodgy bookie that I know of)
* terminating your account
* Cancelling the bet
* reclaiming the winnings

I'd usually suggest leaving it, but if you do play them don't go too large.

If it's an obvious error in the market, you're best to avoid it. Common sense says it's up to the bookmaker to get it right, but we all know they won't see it that way. Worst case scenario is that they cancel the bet if you win, and let it ride if it loses, so you're in a no-win situation.

Any harm in mentioning it on here? it's that bad that i don't imagine they would pay it out. It's on centrebet, not sure what there rules are though

Haven't played it. Just read Centrebet's terms and conditions, they say if it's an obvious mistake (i.e. one the punter should know is an error) the bet will be cancelled.

Might as well let you know then.

Jim Furyk is paying $34 to win this week but is paying $87 for a top 5 finish.

Would be nice if they had to honour the bet but after reading the T & C's there is no chance of it getting paid out. might make that phone call

No free bets. Was told that if i had put a bet on they could've done something for me because they would've changed the odds after the bet was placed. Looks like i'm just Centrebet's new best mate, lol

Here's a tip (and I'm not going to let you know which company has which 'back-of-house' software where this works a treat):

If you find one of these "anomalies", do not bet big, do not change your betting pattern, do not hit it repeatedly, do not bet it straight out: but couple it in a multi with something short and, in the best case scenario, something mid/long term.

For instance, Furyk into Team X to make the AFL Top 8 at $1.20-$1.30 etc., 8-10-12 weeks out from the settlement date of the long-range bet. You'll fly under the radar no problems.

I don't think that would make any difference at all with the majority of books, they'll still find the error and cancel it.

Here's a tip (and I'm not going to let you know which company has which 'back-of-house' software where this works a treat):

If you find one of these "anomalies", do not bet big, do not change your betting pattern, do not hit it repeatedly, do not bet it straight out: but couple it in a multi with something short and, in the best case scenario, something mid/long term.

For instance, Furyk into Team X to make the AFL Top 8 at $1.20-$1.30 etc., 8-10-12 weeks out from the settlement date of the long-range bet. You'll fly under the radar no problems.

That is brilliant!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Centrebet had Collingwood $1.13 Half time/Full Time last week.
They had Collingwood $1.05 in the Wire to Wire Coll/Coll/Coll/Coll
Betfair had it at $1.07

They let all bets stand.

It all depends on whether it's an obvious error or just a mispricing mistake.

Centrebet cancelled a B/Ball bet of mine when they got the team prices the wrong way round.

Centrebet have Collingwood 37+ in the Half time margin market priced at $1.85 but in the Half time Line market the are paying $1.91 at -35.5

Not a massive mistake, but obviously you are going to take the line bet. Getting 1 extra point and 6 extra cents to the dollar. Not that the $1.91 is overs though, i think you can get $1.97 at Spotsbet

I don't mind so much if Centrebet make a mistake and cancel my bet, to be honest, because generally they're a very reliable book and they don't make errors frequently. When you're putting up so many markets on so many sports as most books do, you're bound to have the very occasional screw-up.

On the other hand every second market on Sportingbet is a friggin' error, they leave markets open when they should be closed, they're slower than everyone else (except perhaps TAB Sportsbet) to update their odds, and then they cap punters who look at their odds and think they're value as opposed to being a mistake.

Spot on with that. Seen so many blokes that out themselves by getting greedy and coming back for more and launching their whole account at it.

I agree with the T&C as people make mistakes on both sides and most bookies are decent enough to refund the bet if it is genuine. A bloke put a first four on, a pickle bet and he won 18k. He then stuffed up by putting another first four on but forgot to hit the percentage and it went in as full tote and cost 12k. The bet was refunded because it was against his account trend.

They'll do that because it is worth it's weight in advertising and public image. The blokes that try to rort though, they don't stand generally but that is not always the case depending on their status (celebrity or high profile or a gold brick).

Sportsbet had an error a while back on one of their NBA markets. The Grizzlies were 1.90 -8.5 against the Kings at home, and their 2.10 line was +10.5 instead of -10.5. The Kings were around 11.00 to win by 11+.

So I smashed the Grizzlies +10.5 and multied it into the Dogs to beat GC at 1.01, then put a little saver on the Kings 11+ one out to cover costs.

Sportsbet never batted an eyelid and the bet went through and was paid out.

I don't mind so much if Centrebet make a mistake and cancel my bet, to be honest, because generally they're a very reliable book and they don't make errors frequently. When you're putting up so many markets on so many sports as most books do, you're bound to have the very occasional screw-up.

On the other hand every second market on Sportingbet is a friggin' error, they leave markets open when they should be closed, they're slower than everyone else (except perhaps TAB Sportsbet) to update their odds, and then they cap punters who look at their odds and think they're value as opposed to being a mistake.

They had Sylvia in the Dreamteam Best of The Best Forwards for close to 36 hours this week. You would have thought SOMEONE there would have known he was suspended before framing the market. But even so, to do that late on wednesday and then leave it up for over so long is just pathetic. It was still up at 8am this morning but I notice its just been taken down just now finally. Probably because I asked them to change it, I doubt they worked it out for themselves. :thumbsdown:

I really like the website and the way its set out but they are so ****ing slow to move on some things it really grinds my gears at times.

that pies line is pretty good at centrebet

:thumbsu:

I would also like to add some more of Aces (Edmond's) highlights from the last few weeks, he really seems to be hitting his stride at the right time.

centrebet is the best mobile site imo
matty knights
come on aussies
not bad at all
Now for some REALLY JUICY STUFF!

should not play afl if you cant kick
Woah Ace tells it like it is!

Ace, What do you think of the Eagles chances in 2011?

no chance have to play in melb

Oh no he diint! :thumbsu:

Condoms?

never used them are they any good?

Any last words Ace?

lol junk goals

Thanks Buddy :thumbsu:

Sportsbet had an error a while back on one of their NBA markets. The Grizzlies were 1.90 -8.5 against the Kings at home, and their 2.10 line was +10.5 instead of -10.5. The Kings were around 11.00 to win by 11+.

So I smashed the Grizzlies +10.5 and multied it into the Dogs to beat GC at 1.01, then put a little saver on the Kings 11+ one out to cover costs.

Sportsbet never batted an eyelid and the bet went through and was paid out.

they used to have these mistakes a few times per week during NBA season

you are a ****ing moron doing what you have done though, what if they refund the mistake and leave your other hedge pending and it loses.

you atleast do your hedging elsewhere

95% chance your account would have been marked aswell

they used to have these mistakes a few times per week during NBA season

you are a ****ing moron doing what you have done though, what if they refund the mistake and leave your other hedge pending and it loses.

you atleast do your hedging elsewhere

95% chance your account would have been marked aswell

Did Kings 11+ on Centrebet, so no dramas there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Obvious mistakes in betting markets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back