Racing October Daily Punt- A cup , A plate and trip up Everest

Remove this Banner Ad

One time Melbourne Cup hope Savennah's Knight ran super at good odds....ran 5th in the Arc. Was meant to come to Melbourne for the Cup, they chose the Arc instead.

Question for the punters, particularly horse racing. What sort of a betting strategy or staking plan do you generally try and stick to? My biggest issue is I get involved with races I really shouldn’t. Sometimes it turns profitable, but more often than not.

An example is those stupid midway races on a Saturday.. let’s be honest nobody should really get involved.. but ya know JMac Waller.. 1st up.. $2.50 ..

For me, Let’s say i’am walking into Caulfield on Saturday. Already having backed broadsiding at 4s.
I’ll have my “bank “ for the day let’s say it’s $1000..

Across the Melbourne/Sydney/Adeliade there are 30 odd races to choose from and no i’am not counting Wodonga or some Western Australian random track.

Ideally I find by 3 best bets regardless of the price and bet accordingly based on a % of bankroll and confidence. Maybe 10-15% Into a quaddie/doubles and a 10-15% fun bets to make it interesting.. nothing big but maybe a tri/f4 for interest.

Is there something else I can or should be doing that might help with my overall management and staking other than the obvious of punting at Doomban, Donald, Kemba ect;

Question for the punters, particularly horse racing. What sort of a betting strategy or staking plan do you generally try and stick to? My biggest issue is I get involved with races I really shouldn’t. Sometimes it turns profitable, but more often than not.

An example is those stupid midway races on a Saturday.. let’s be honest nobody should really get involved.. but ya know JMac Waller.. 1st up.. $2.50 ..

For me, Let’s say i’am walking into Caulfield on Saturday. Already having backed broadsiding at 4s.

Across the Melbourne/Sydney/Adeliade there are 30 odd races to choose from and no i’am not counting Wodonga or some Western Australian random track.

Ideally I find by 3 best bets regardless of the price and bet accordingly based on a % of bankroll and confidence. Maybe 10-15% Into a quaddie/doubles and a 10-15% fun bets to make it interesting.. nothing big but maybe a tri/f4 for interest.

Is there something else I can or should be doing that might help with my overall management and staking other than the obvious of punting at Doomban, Donald, Kemba ect;

If you are not taking price into account then there isn't really any way to manage things properly.

To be perfectly honest based on your current strategy you should just try to be ok doing it for fun and bet what you are happy losing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are not taking price into account then there isn't really any way to manage things properly.

To be perfectly honest based on your current strategy you should just try to be ok doing it for fun and bet what you are happy losing
For argument sake, let’s say I was taking price into account when betting. How should I adapt or change this strategy.

For argument sake, let’s say I was taking price into account when betting. How should I adapt or change this strategy.

Just go through your races, identify your value runners, maybe bet to win x amount to keep things simple. Avoid betting on any other races, avoid betting just for fun, avoid any exotics unless there is a reason to think they could be value.

If you find yourself betting in majority of races then you almost certainly don't have an edge.

I would imagine its easier from the point you are at at the moment to just be ok with it being entertainment and firstly look to just minimize your losses with some of the above things. Maybe try pricing a market to 100% just for practice to see where you are at

I stick to Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide metro. When they race those one off Saturday meets at Ballarat, Pakenham, Newcastle, Gawler etc I just pen the meeting.

I pen the midway and highway in Sydney straight away as you say.

Then I guess it comes down to how you do the form.

Personally I don't watch trials, jump outs or midweek maidens etc so I just pen the maidens, 2yo and 3yo races. If you are not doing the work you are just going to get sucked into the hype and the hype horses are always going to be unders. Most of the time those horses are either ran into the ground as 2yos and 3yos and don't come up as older horses or they are just retired to stud so the formlines are mostly pointless moving forward anyway. If a 3yo races the older horses I just penalise them and either back around them or stay out of the race.

I wouldn't generally bother with anything <BM68, which only really applies to Adelaide on a Saturday.

So if you just exclude those races for example, last Saturday would only have to do the form for 6/10 in Melbourne, 5/10 in Sydney, 3/9 in Adelaide.

Then choose what races you want to have a bet in from there. Becomes a lot more manageable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing October Daily Punt- A cup , A plate and trip up Everest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back