October Decisions Necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

Have only heard vague rumours. Feel like we're always attached to Kelly whenever he's OOC. I don't see a gaping need for a player like him on the roster, but we're always linked to him
Wright and Ned Kelly are very good mates - for what it’s worth
With the early retirement of Langdon and demise of Shaz we do have some need for that type but key position players and quick small forwards and extractor mids might be bigger needs

Of course he's not part of the "future" in a playing sense, but he absolutely can be developmentally. The knowledge & experience a once-in-a-generation player like Pendlebury can impart on your youth is invaluable. Losing that for a later second rounder is a ridiculous call; you're wrong.
It’s a business.
And in business you turn assets into “cash”.
Cash in the AFL is picks and points.
I’m not wrong.
But I do understand why Collingwood no longer bat with the big boys, because supporters think I am wrong. And the club follows the supporters.

Have seen many rumours that you guys may sign 26 year old UFA Jake Kelly. Has anyone heard anything on your end? Cheers.
I'd take him. Ive felt he should have come to us back in 2019. Better than Madgen. We'll see what happens. If he stays at the crows. You'd think its either he stays, or he comes to us. Can't see him going anywhere else.

I'd take him. Ive felt he should have come to us back in 2019. Better than Madgen. We'll see what happens. If he stays at the crows. You'd think its either he stays, or he comes to us. Can't see him going anywhere else.
Contract negotiations with Crows going well according the 'medja'.
Maybe he looks at us if Pyke doesn't get the job?

Does Roughead go round again? 200 is a nice round number to finish on, he's contracted for another year but with no window in sight and covid persisting and evidently the one that struggled the most in hubs does he pull the plug?

Does Roughead go round again? 200 is a nice round number to finish on, he's contracted for another year but with no window in sight and covid persisting and evidently the one that struggled the most in hubs does he pull the plug?
He sticks around. No obvious replacement, still best 22 easily, part of the leadership group, involved with our women's footy. He shouldn't retire

He does. His wife confirmed it to me yesterday.

We need him for the foreseeable future. We aren't ready. Have no mature replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does. His wife confirmed it to me yesterday.

We need him for the foreseeable future. We aren't ready. Have no mature replacement.
Inside scoop, love it! Would you grab Talia to free up Moore then or is he too similar to Roughy?

He sticks around. No obvious replacement, still best 22 easily, part of the leadership group, involved with our women's footy. He shouldn't retire

That is assuming he wants to stick around. I think that is the real question.

No obvious replacement speaks volumes as to the work still required to be done by GW.

No chance.

He’s played 18 games so far this season, it’ll likely be 19. Clubs never delist < 50 game players who have played > 16 games in the current season.

He’s still improving and has had a decent second half of the year.

He’s a keeper.
Agree. Stupid even putting him in the list.
Same goes for the idiotic suggestion of a Sidebottom trade.

Maybe just the end of the year considering he wasn’t selected this game.
If Cox stays he needs to hit the weights, flipping big time and start throwing himself onto packs like a block of concrete.

If Cox stays he needs to hit the weights, f*n big time and start throwing himself onto packs like a block of concrete.
A big pass from me. He has had his chance.
7feet big and struggles to throw his weight around.
Thanks for your efforts Mason.

If Cox stays he needs to hit the weights, f*n big time and start throwing himself onto packs like a block of concrete.

Very unlikely to stay if I'm reading between the lines correctly with what he said tonight on the news. Was rather cryptic but didn't seem particularly happy with things at Collingwood. Just my impression.

Graham Wright surely has had a season to survey the playing list and come to terms with what is needed to correct our playing list shortfalls. Hopefully this occurs:

Outs:

Mayne: retired
Greenwood: retired
Madgen: delist
Thomas: Free agent/delist
Sier: trade (Hawks and Roos are keen)
Cox: trade
Chugg: 50:50
Sidebottom: trade (Gold Coast could use him)
Lynch: trade (Hawks and Swans are keen)

Ins to Primary List:

N Daicos
Dib (NGA)
Best available draftee
Tom Lynch (Crows) Delisted Free Agent
Begg: Mid season draft added
Johnson: Mid season draft added
Ginnivan: elevated rookie
Matt Crouch or Jack Billings

Sidey has been a great servant but he is a former sleek car that has 80% depreciated but would be a massive addition to the Gold Coast. If a 33 year old Shaun Higgins is worth pick 30 at last years trade period, Steele would have to be worth there or thereabouts. Lynch could snare a pick in the top 30-35 range, Cox a pick between 35-50 and Sier a pick in the 40-60 range. All valuable points for N Daicos, Dib and another late Draft pick. Tom Lynch's last fortnight with the Crows has shown what he can do when fit and be a delisted free agent, comes for free. His leadership for Henry and an otherwise young forward group including Ginnivan, McCreery, Bianco, Ruscoe etc.... would be great over the next 40 matches.

Salary cap wise, the $64 question is just how much that "hangover" described by Wright mid-year is. The 9 players above suggested for exiting would equate to approximately $3,000,000 off the salary cap. Would this allow the recruitment of a good B+ player at the $500-$600K range like Billings or Matty Crouch perhaps? Hopefully so. Our mid-field was routinely destroyed Saturday night from half-way through the 2nd quarter and Taylor Adams durability is a huge concern in 2022 and beyond. His never been able to last a full year invariably missing 4-6 matches a year between 21-27 years of age. That aside, adding some mature bodies like Lynch, Billings and/or M Crouch can only help and none require trading for.

Thoughts?
Don’t mind your train of thought overall. However, still in the trade Grundy and keep Lynch camp for mine. Even if we paid some of Grundy’s contract. Much likeable person off the field but not warranting his salary since re-signing on. Lynch can be serviceable and Begg can learn the ropes.

Remove this Banner Ad

October Decisions Necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back