October Decisions Necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll all be holding you to that. :)

How about the club.

In short, coz the club totally bent over and pineappled itself it left itself in the position where the only option was to bring in a stack of kids and now the list is imbalanced and the bank vault is empty.

So in simple terms it seems the strategy is develop these kids in 2 - 3 years, actually there is no alternative. By that time the likes of Moore, Goey, Bruzzy, Crispy etc will still likely be in their prime - or near the end of it. Likely not past it though.

Yeah it's a gamble but ..................... the club is now reaping what is has sewn. No other choice.

i think the good news is that salary cap pressure will be eased in this years and next years contract negotiations because the club will be able to say to players, if you want to make more money go elsewhere, and the fans wont assassinate GW and the coach and the list manager.

Out of contract (13): Isaac Chugg, Mason Cox, Jack Ginnivan, Max Lynch, Jack Madgen, John Noble, Scott Pendlebury (UFA), Jay Rantall, Trey Ruscoe, Brayden Sier, Anton Tohill, Josh Thomas (UFA), Tom Wilson

Chris Mayne is retiring at season’s end, while Noble will re-sign for two years and it is just a matter of time before Pendlebury is locked in for next season. Wilson, Ginnivan and Chugg are also likely to return on one-season contracts. Tohill is in advanced negotiations to return for 2022. Ruscoe is believed to be a required player, but Sier last played in Round 12 and has fallen way down the pecking order, while Thomas will have to wait. What happens with Cox, who is now being managed by Liam Pickering, remains to be seen, and Lynch has value if he chooses to depart.

Can someone please enlighten me...

Lets take a worse case scenario and Daicos is pick 1. ( 2400 points with 20% discount). We currently have picks 37 (483), 39 (446), 47 (316), 50 (273).... that makes 1518 points. Am I right? That's a 882 point deficit carried over to next seasons draft. Which equates to pick 21 plus pick 73 from next year. How much is Dib worth on top of that? Where is he likely to be bid at?

Lets take a worse case scenario and Daicos is pick 1. ( 2400 points with 20% discount). We currently have picks 37 (483), 39 (446), 47 (316), 50 (273).... that makes 1518 points. Am I right? That's a 882 point deficit carried over to next seasons draft. Which equates to pick 21 plus pick 73 from next year. How much is Dib worth on top of that? Where is he likely to be bid at?

As I understand it, we currently have somewhere between 1700-1800 points. We won't know exactly until the Doggies season comes to an end. If a bid come <20, we're stuffed, if a bid comes >40 we just match with our next available pick. It's if a bid comes between 20 and 40 then things could get interesting. We should be able to secure enough points even if it involves trading a 2022 2nd or 3rd into 2021 post Daicos.

Last edited:

We currently have 1,748 points. Hopefully dogs go out in straight sets. Or if they are 5th, lose one final and they are out. Need a couple extra picks if we don't go into deficit.
Now for Dib, depends where a bid comes. It really shouldn't be in the top 20.. the later the better, If its post 40, we can match with our next pick whatever that might be.

We currently have 1,748 points. Hopefully dogs go out in straight sets. Or if they are 5th, lose one final and they are out. Need a couple extra picks if we don't go into deficit.
Now for Dib, depends where a bid comes. It really shouldn't be in the top 20.. the later the better, If its post 40, we can match with our next pick whatever that might be.
If he's picked pre 40, he'd want to be pretty dam good to justify the cost to our draft position next year then. How good is he do you think?

Deadly serious.
Other long term players who also have “points on the board” are being talked up as disposable.
Why is Pendles sacrosanct?
His best is behind him. He is not part of the next Premiership. He needs to be in the conversation as what we can get for him. If Sidey is worth X to GC, what is a leader like Pendles worth to GC? I would expect more. So let’s go for it.

Also if he was to go for a few years into another environment and then do a coaching apprenticeship one day he may be an option to come back and coach ala Mitchell.
[on the proviso he can eventually coach]

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also if he was to go for a few years into another environment and then do a coaching apprenticeship one day he may be an option to come back and coach ala Mitchell.
[on the proviso he can eventually coach]

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think that, if he does aspire to be a head coach, then exposure to another environment would be valuable.
But it would need to be an environment that has had success. So not GC.
If he ever did return to CFC in the top job at least he wasn’t only in the CFC bubble for his entire career.
We’ve seen how that turns out.

If he's picked pre 40, he'd want to be pretty dam good to justify the cost to our draft position next year then. How good is he do you think?
He's got something. Was pretty impressive when playing for our VFL team. A crumbing small forward who can also play off half back and even midfield -- as he has been doing in nab league.

Was All Australian U16

I think that, if he does aspire to be a head coach, then exposure to another environment would be valuable.
But it would need to be an environment that has had success. So not GC.
If he ever did return to CFC in the top job at least he wasn’t only in the CFC bubble for his entire career.
We’ve seen how that turns out.
Pendles did say he would be doing his apprentice elsewhere.

How about the club.

In short, coz the club totally bent over and pineappled itself it left itself in the position where the only option was to bring in a stack of kids and now the list is imbalanced and the bank vault is empty.

So in simple terms it seems the strategy is develop these kids in 2 - 3 years, actually there is no alternative. By that time the likes of Moore, Goey, Bruzzy, Crispy etc will still likely be in their prime - or near the end of it. Likely not past it though.

Yeah it's a gamble but ..................... the club is now reaping what is has sewn. No other choice.
Crisp is about to turn 28.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His best is seen in maybe one or two 10 minute bursts during a game.
Amd of course his deserved reputation sees the media and Collingwood supporters think he has turned the game.
You put it succinctly, 33 years old.
Not part of our future.

Of course he's not part of the "future" in a playing sense, but he absolutely can be developmentally. The knowledge & experience a once-in-a-generation player like Pendlebury can impart on your youth is invaluable. Losing that for a later second rounder is a ridiculous call; you're wrong.

Of course he's not part of the "future" in a playing sense, but he absolutely can be developmentally. The knowledge & experience a once-in-a-generation player like Pendlebury can impart on your youth is invaluable. Losing that for a later second rounder is a ridiculous call; you're wrong.

Agree.

The difference with Hawthorn when they eased out their experienced players was that they still had the likes of Burgoyne, Gunston etc remaining.

Pendles stays, relinquishes the captaincy and focuses on development and his own game.

How about the club.

If we do a reasonable job at that we might be able to make up the gap with FAs and go alright, hopefully

I agree with you JLC but the harsh reality is Jamie will not still be playing when we win our next flag and if his transfer will net us a young but established KPF/D then although deeply saddened I would understand and accept the club's decision.
Just because he won't play in our next premiership doesn't mean we should cut him loose. He's an important part of our forward line and we'd look pretty ordinary without him.

No team trades off all their senior players who won't be there for the next premiership. There has to be experience retained to guide the young ones through, otherwise we'd be trading Pendles too.

Just because he won't play in our next premiership doesn't mean we should cut him loose. He's an important part of our forward line and we'd look pretty ordinary without him.

No team trades off all their senior players who won't be there for the next premiership. There has to be experience retained to guide the young ones through, otherwise we'd be trading Pendles too.

Absolutely, this 👍

How many first round picks have GWS and Suns had in the last 10 years? How many premierships have they won? (Or finals series they’ve played in between them?)

There’s more to being successful than simply loading up on new talent.

Have seen many rumours that you guys may sign 26 year old UFA Jake Kelly. Has anyone heard anything on your end? Cheers.

Have seen many rumours that you guys may sign 26 year old UFA Jake Kelly. Has anyone heard anything on your end? Cheers.
Have only heard vague rumours. Feel like we're always attached to Kelly whenever he's OOC. I don't see a gaping need for a player like him on the roster, but we're always linked to him

Have only heard vague rumours. Feel like we're always attached to Kelly whenever he's OOC. I don't see a gaping need for a player like him on the roster, but we're always linked to him

LOL, because we don’t have enough father-sons! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

October Decisions Necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back