Preview Offical Teams for GF Replay

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to have been a fly on the wall during the selection discussion.

I guess they had their reasons for the change but I'd have backed the same 22. The dumping of Leon is emphatic so there must have been something going on. Team instructions? Body language? Attitude? Injury?

Bad luck Davis, good luck Goldsack. Gsack will add versatility to the line up.

Pies better win or I'm stuffed. I've been dishing out lashings of curry to Sts fans all week.

We're missing Brad Dick :(
Dicky's the bloke I really feel for, as he hasn't even had the chance to show his "worth".

As sad as it is, Leon had to go, he has done nothing in Grand Finals, with the odd decent finals performance over his whole career.

But in the end it came down to what he gave us last week, and the 2 tackles probably killed him more then the 6 disposals IMO, if he had 6-7 tackles, he'd still be playing this week.

Re: Congrats to the Sack

Good luck Goldy:thumbsu:

Will be nice and fresh which could give us a little advantage. Hopefully he attacks the pill at a million miles and hour like he usually does. And have a couple of those smothers he does :thumbsu::)

As much as I was a big fan for Leon retaining his spot, deep down I knew (like everyone) that Goldy was the correct option for this week. It pains me but it is the truth.

Last week, Nathan Brown was given a reprieve and we showed him that he should not have any doubts about where his future lies. He proved to us as much of the faith we had in him that he is integral to our future success.

Now, it's Goldy's opportunity. If he was "deeply wounded" last week and was prepared to "walk", he should reassess now because we have shown him where his future lies and that is as a Collingwood (premiership- I hope) player.

Lastly, what does this mean for Leon? Been a terrific servant, many exciting memories yet to not have made the emergency list is sending out alarm bells about his future at Collingwood. Perhaps, we are reading too much into this and he could just not be right ala Presti the week before. Having said that, some difficult decisions are going to be made post-season in regards to Fraser, Lockyer and Davis. Out of the three, I'd prefer Leon to stick around.

As sad as it is, Leon had to go, he has done nothing in Grand Finals, with the odd decent finals performance over his whole career.

This is a rubbish statement that has to stop, what someone did when they were 20 years old in a forward pocket with an overachieving side is stupid.

Last year was the premier forward/midfielder in the game that got a knee injury in the last month of the year that hurt his finish to the season. This year he hasn't had any zip and it's likely the knee. Really can't stand this negative talk about Leon as if there's something in his head that makes him play weak or something in a GF. It's crap.

Anyway, change was between Blair and Leon for structure and they stuck with Blair.

It's not a rubbish statement, it's a fact.....It's sad but finally the coaching staff have lost patience and the risk is too great. You can't hide from your past performances.

Yes Leon did spend time in the midfield, but that's not his role anymore, and if he can't effectively fulfill his role in the team, then out he goes and in someone who can.

Leon has been a great servant to the club and I thank him in getting us to where we are now over the years gone, but if your out of form the GF is not the game to flirt with. We did last week and some would say we got lucky, I personally believe it actually cost us the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am fuming atm! McCarthy is an emergency, why the hell is he an emergency he has played 2 games for the year and as bad as Leon has been he is still ahead of McCarthy. If McCarthy plays we are f**ked!

I hope we wont be top heavy up front now. We will be missing a crumbing forward with Leon not playing. Considering during the H&A season we played without Cloke up front and Lockyer was the extra player in the team, which worked real well. StKilda defence seems to be able to handle big forwards.

I hope we wont be top heavy up front now. We will be missing a crumbing forward with Leon not playing. Considering during the H&A season we played without Cloke up front and Lockyer was the extra player in the team, which worked real well. StKilda defence seems to be able to handle big forwards.

Blair, Didak, Beams, Sidebottom, Macaffer and Thomas will all rotate through the forward line. Plenty of small options. I can't see Goldsack going forward unless someone is tearing us a new one across our half-forward line. If anything he will push Shaw up the ground a bit, adding more run to our midfield.

I am fuming atm! McCarthy is an emergency, why the hell is he an emergency he has played 2 games for the year and as bad as Leon has been he is still ahead of McCarthy. If McCarthy plays we are f**ked!

This! I hope Pendles or Didak are not injured. Can't see why he would be picked as an emergency if there wasn't doubts over someone.

It's not a rubbish statement, it's a fact.....It's sad but finally the coaching staff have lost patience and the risk is too great. You can't hide from your past performances.

No-one slams Darren Jarman for his shocking performance in the 1991 Grand Final since 1997. He was probably 20 then. But let me tell you for 6 years after that game the media trounced him at every opportunity until he finally put a good one together in 1997.

Performances of a 20 year old should not hang over anyone's head for their career.

correct, but he is now 29 and still hasn't delivered in a final.
Grand final, not final.

He actually has some decent stats in finals over the year, be it not too many recently.

But enough was enough, I've been one of Leon's biggest fans, but let's be honest, apart from the odd tackle and that one moment of genius in the last quarter, for most of that game we had 21 players.

This week we will have 22.

The more I think about it, the less convinced I am about this move. Supposing it's not foxing and Leon is dropped, who is going to deliver the goods in the forward line? The conversion rate has been a schemozzle all year. If we're dropping forwards for not delivering last week, then they're just about all out. And we might start to ask questions about the quality of delivery to the forwards. Or the coaching strategies in responding to the Aints game plan.

If we take this move at face value, I reckon there's something a bit off about it. Scapegoating by a lynch mob? It's not adding to the psyche I'd want for a big game.

22 came up short. 22 are responsible for making amends. Don't kick the dog when you fcuk up.

(notwithstanding what I wrote earlier about the possibility of other reasons for the omission)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back