Official 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics - Men's Hockey thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Brodeur's still the better goalie, but he's had an indifferent month. Not the ideal time to lose a bit of form when you're arguably the greatest Canadian goalie of all time and your about to embark on a home Olympics.

In terms of form, Miller has it all over Brodeur, no question. But Brodeur's still the better goalie, he's top 3 of all time easy.

But the US just looked like they were playing the tournemant better, more seriously. From the opening minute, where you saw at least three in white stack the near side wall trying to block Brodeur playin the puck, a clear directive from Wilson et. al., you saw no equivalent from the Canadians.

Canada wins yesterday's game probably three out of four times, but no-one here can say that the US were undeserved. Sorry to say it but the team in white wanted it more. And if you needed

To be fair, the puck did bobble on him.
Was hard to see on the stream I was watching, but yeah when seeing it on the big screen it did. Still, looked funny.

Also on Joe, Don't know why you are so harsh on him. He's been a catalyst so far with the San Jose line - its more than just Heatley and Marleau on that line. He's just not getting the points because he distributes it and shares the points around basically. That line has accounted for what 6? 7? goals.

Did the Olympics look to save some money on cheap-quality twine? I know Shea Weber's got a bomb, but how does it just simply go through the netting?

That looked bizarre.

And on Jumbo, well, I personally think Heatley's been holding that line up. He, in my view, has played fantastically well, Marleau has been ok, I guess, but Thornton simply hasn't had a good tournemant yet. The line's working but not as well as it has in the NHL because its been broken up quite a few times in Vancouver thus far.

But he has a goal here, has looked a little better in the German zone, so this has been a bit better.

The Canadians are looking noticeably better, tomorrow at this rate will be epic.

See, you're completely wrong. Thornton, Heatley and Marleau have been great. They created the pressure in all 3 games previously. Not just Heatley. Just because he has the 4 goals so far, but he is not the only one playing well. He doesn't get the puck if Thornton isn't there. Marleau is leading Canada in Shots on Goal and is important on the penalty kill. Thornton isn't a shooter, so he's had just the 1 SOG, but he's the one who has given the puck to Marleau on almost every occasion. If he didn't, then he gave it to whoever else was there on the ice with him.

And to be honest, Canada don't look any better than they did against the USA. Defensively sloppy, good up front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win by Canada, I'd still be worried about their defensive ability going against Russia, although the same can be said about Russia at times.

Canada needs to put Keith and Seabrook against Ovechkins line tomorrow..

Defensively i see them as the only pair who can stand up to the russians top line..

Pronger consistantly gets beat, and cant match the speed, Weber isnt the most reliable defensman going around and niedermayer cant contain Ovi and Malkin all game..

I think Keith is the best defenseman in the NHL at the moment, hes great positionally and rarely gets beat, i would love to see if he can shutdown (or at least slow down) ovechkins line..

Tell ya, first time I've had a look at this Mats Zuccarello Aasen fellow since all the hype, and its half justified.

Small, but has all the skills. Wonder if not only an NHL team gives him a go but if he could do a bit better than Brunnstrom in terms of impact.

Tomorrow will be some day. USA v Switzerland to kick us off, see how the USA can cope coming into the business end as the number one seeds, and to back up that big effort against their northern neighbours.

Then the big one, Russia Canada. Canada will be in the road whites and will have to suffice with forgoing the last change, that privledge goes to the Russians. This will be massive, and its not the worst call to suggest the Gold goes to the winner of this game.

Finland Czech Republic and Sweden Slovakia will be great games too, its hard to not go past the Scandanavians in each.

But it will be some day. This tournemant is about to go up another notch. You thought it was good on Monday, tomorrow will be something bigger again.

Tell ya, first time I've had a look at this Mats Zuccarello Aasen fellow since all the hype, and its half justified.

Small, but has all the skills. Wonder if not only an NHL team gives him a go but if he could do a bit better than Brunnstrom in terms of impact.
He's a gun but seriously, Tore Vikingstad is insane!!

I know he's 34 but he's 6'3, is quick, good defensively and can really shoot the puck. He plays like a guy in his early twenties. I want Detroit to take a punt on him. :thumbsu:

He's a gun but seriously, Tore Vikingstad is insane!!

I know he's 34 but he's 6'3, is quick, good defensively and can really shoot the puck. He plays like a guy in his early twenties. I want Detroit to take a punt on him. :thumbsu:

Maybe Detroit can offer the Hannover Scorpions the rights for Jimmy Howard?

5 Oct 2009, 23:15 Howard is awful, I'd be surprised if he's still a Wing by the end of the season. McCollum is our future in net, we hope anyway.

You're either Mike Milbury or you're drunk. :D

Jonas, oh no....

I think he got away with one there.

If you ask me, that puck was across the line, .1 of a second left
Vision from the Broadcast here showed 0.0 with it on the line.

Even still, Hiller is proving how shit he can be. He hasn't had to make many hard saves this game, not much traffic infront of point shots at times. First 10 shots he faced were all shot straight at him. Then he goes and does that. Oh my. 4.5million for that? Could have got Marty Biron for less.

Vision from the Broadcast here showed 0.0 with it on the line.

Even still, Hiller is proving how shit he can be. He hasn't had to make many hard saves this game, not much traffic infront of point shots at times. First 10 shots he faced were all shot straight at him. Then he goes and does that. Oh my. 4.5million for that? Could have got Marty Biron for less.

in a scoreless tie..not many people in the world would be talking about how shit a goaly is..(even though it was a horse hair away from 1-0 from a bad play by him)..

especially 4 days removed from stopping 45 of 47 shots basically against an NHL all star team.

Hiller has been great this tournament.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics - Men's Hockey thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back