Mega Thread Official 2012 Free Agency discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree with having both Nicho and Blease in the same back 6... Defensive aspects could be lacking at times. I guess I would go:
B: Strauss Frawley Garland
HB: Nicholson McDonald Rivers

... Just off the top of my head. Hopefully Bartram can work his way back in there if he can get over those knee issues; Watts I would prefer up the ground but he can switch with Rivers as he certainly offers plenty of class and quality disposal back there; others such as Macdonald and Dunn can play solid roles there too.

Disagree with having both Nicho and Blease in the same back 6... Defensive aspects could be lacking at times. I guess I would go:
B: Strauss Frawley Garland
HB: Nicholson McDonald Rivers

... Just off the top of my head. Hopefully Bartram can work his way back in there if he can get over those knee issues; Watts I would prefer up the ground but he can switch with Rivers as he certainly offers plenty of class and quality disposal back there; others such as Macdonald and Dunn can play solid roles there too.
Fair call on nicho and blease, but I think nicho is still a good defender. Watts is a great user but can't defend, I said blease because I can see him playing a similar role to Chris yarran

What are peoples thoughts on Shane Savage? Worth a look at?
Just signed a new contract. I know that means nothing as he can still be traded, but unlikely you would think.

In saying this, would love him as he is a speedy wingman/half forward who can really play.

To be honest, I feel 3 talls in a back line is more than enough. Whilst Frawley, Rivers, Garland and Watts can all play small to some extent, the height of our backline will be exploited at some point.

Frawley to take the most dangerous forward, McDonald the second and Rivers the third.

B: McDonald, Frawley, _______
HB: Grimes, Rivers, Nicholson

...and one of Dunn, MacDonald, Strauss, Bartram or Tapscott

In short however, 3 shorts and 3 talls should be the ideal formation.

EDIT: Oh and Watts to play up forward in 2013 obviously.

To be honest, I feel 3 talls in a back line is more than enough. Whilst Frawley, Rivers, Garland and Watts can all play small to some extent, the height of our backline will be exploited at some point.

Frawley to take the most dangerous forward, McDonald the second and Rivers the third.

...and one of Dunn, MacDonald, Strauss, Bartram or Tapscott

In short however, 3 shorts and 3 talls should be the ideal formation.

EDIT: Oh and Watts to play up forward in 2013 obviously.
And that allows Rivers to be third man up as well, which I think is when he plays best spoiling and marking from reading the play as well as he does.

Hopefully a bit like what Gibson can do at Hawthorn. Negate one forward yet negate plenty of other contests as well.

Tom McDonald could become one of the best defenders in the game. He trained as a forward all pre-season, so go back and defend as well as he did holds him as a seriously bright prospect for the club... just got to work on his kicking and he'll be a great defender.

So I've been giving some thought to what I would like to see happen come trade week. I think we need senior players that can set the tone for our already impressive albeit under performing kids.

My ideal trade week/draft is as follows:
1) Trade P4 for mini draft P2 and GWS compo pick after Adelaide round one selection. Draft Hogan as the big KPF Neeld wants. Part of the trade would need an assurance GWS won't bid on Viney.
2) Trade P13 for Caddy and an assurance GC don't bid on Viney. Viney is now assured to get through to our second round.
3) Trade Stef Martin and Adelaide compo gained from first trade to Collingwood for Wellingham - would probably need Cloke to re-sign to force Collingwood to have to move a name one.
4) Sign Q Lynch as a free agent - gives us a second big target for 2-3 years whilst we wait for Hogan.
5) Sign S Byrnes as a free agent.

We end up with: Caddy, Wellingham, Lynch and Byrnes, plus add P3 (Grundy) and Viney and get Hogan the year after.

I suggest taking Grundy as we loose Stef and I don't think we can count on Gawn getting though his knee issues. Besides Viney, Wellingham and Caddy is a very good injection of midfield talent.

So I've been giving some thought to what I would like to see happen come trade week. I think we need senior players that can set the tone for our already impressive albeit under performing kids.

1) Trade P4 for mini draft P2 and GWS compo pick after Adelaide round one selection. Draft Hogan as the big KPF Neeld wants. Part of the trade would need an assurance GWS won't bid on Viney.
2) Trade P13 for Caddy and an assurance GC don't bid on Viney. Viney is now assured to get through to our second round.
3) Trade Stef Martin and Adelaide compo gained from first trade to Collingwood for Wellingham - would probably need Cloke to re-sign to force Collingwood to have to move a name one.
4) Sign Q Lynch as a free agent - gives us a second big target for 2-3 years whilst we wait for Hogan.

We end up with: Caddy, Wellingham, Lynch and Byrnes, plus add P3 (Grundy) and Viney and get Hogan the year after.

I suggest taking Grundy as we loose Stef and I don't think we can count on Gawn getting though his knee issues. Besides Viney, Wellingham and Caddy is a very good injection of midfield talent.
We won't need to give up a first rounder and martin for Wellingham, that's too much. I wouldn't touch caddy, our midfield isn't balanced, we're getting Viney, and if we get Caddy along with Jones, Sylvia, Mckenzie and potentially Gysberts. Sylvia is the only exception as he can play both, and Jones to a degree. It's too inside and there is no balance, I like the idea of Wellingham, but Caddy seems an unnecessary pick up. Would be chasing hard for Clinton Young, or that type of player. Also need a Josh Drummond type across Half Back. I'm also confident we'll go for Toumpas if he is there.

We won't need to give up a first rounder and martin for Wellingham, that's too much. I wouldn't touch caddy, our midfield isn't balanced, we're getting Viney, and if we get Caddy along with Jones, Sylvia, Mckenzie and potentially Gysberts. Sylvia is the only exception as he can play both, and Jones to a degree. It's too inside and there is no balance, I like the idea of Wellingham, but Caddy seems an unnecessary pick up. Would be chasing hard for Clinton Young, or that type of player. Also need a Josh Drummond type across Half Back. I'm also confident we'll go for Toumpas if he is there.
See I disagree. With Trengove, Blease, Sylvia and Wellingham and Jones (to an extent) all capable of playing outside, that is enough. Besides if you wanted to you could look at O'Rouke at P3 instead of Grundy, assuming Toumpas goes at P2 as I expect.

And the Caddy trade would be as much about trying to get Viney through to round 2.

Draft manipulation much...

Also, father son bidding happens on the DAY of trade week, October 8 so yeh. As obvious as it seems, there is nothing really we can do to prevent GC from bidding. We can only hope that the appeal of a mini draft pick or Brodie Grundy is too much to give up.

Also, I completely disagree with your hypotheticals. Why trade for a pick to draft someone who isnt going to play in 2013? Whilst he may seem like a gun, I have almost completely lost faith in unproven talent with "potential". Caddy is as speculative!

In my opinion, we should only trade for established players.

...and with the media blowing up Lynch as a cheap alternative to Cloke, you would expect his stocks to have risen considerably.

Players I hope we acquire through free agency:

Danyle Pearce.
Contrary to popular belief, Pearce is not half as soft as people make him out to be. Cops a critisim and tags most weeks but still has a respectable impact. 2012 was considered a nightmare, but still managed to average 20+ disposals. Is reaching is prime and will provide class and speed on the wings. A 3-4 year deal similar to Clark's.

Angus Monfries.
Wasn't instrumental to Essendon's prominence in the early parts of the season and seems to have fallen out of favor. Works hard in the pockets and will provide us with another goal kicking avenue. Plays taller than he is and will be valuable lead up player. Essendon seems disinterested in his future and Port have already made inquiries. Again, 3-4 years should be enough to entice a move.

Shannon Byrnes.
Don't know a whole lot about him, but from all reports is quick and experienced. Place him at Clark's feet and 20+ goals should be easy. Will likely get the cut at Geelong this year and from all reports, we are the only side who is interested. 1-2 year deal should get him over.

Quinten Lynch.
The big Q stick. We need one more tall and he fits the criteria. Big booming kick and can clunk marks. Many premiership contenders are circling so we have to offer something quite significant to trump them. 2-3 years maybe?

C: Pearce, Jones, Trengrove
HF: Howe, Lynch, Watts
FF: Monfries, Clark, Blease
R: Jamar, Sylvia, Mckenzie
INT: Martin, Viney, Byrnes, _______

Yes, I am an optimist. What of it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick opinion guys, do you expect Rohan Bail to be in your best 22 next season or fringe with your trade/draft pick next month? Just curious as he is a local QLD lad, and may create interest from the Suns. What type of mid is he?

Quick opinion guys, do you expect Rohan Bail to be in your best 22 next season or fringe with your trade/draft pick next month? Just curious as he is a local QLD lad, and may create interest from the Suns. What type of mid is he?

Can run all day but his kicking is pretty average. Probably in our best 22, but mainly plays a fill in role. I think he is contracted but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. And to answer your question, mainly outside I guess.

A question for you, why hasn't Toy been firing? What's his best position and what do you think he is worth?

Can run all day but his kicking is pretty average. Probably in our best 22, but mainly plays a fill in role. I think he is contracted but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. And to answer your question, mainly outside I guess.

A question for you, why hasn't Toy been firing? What's his best position and what do you think he is worth?
Thx for the Bail info. Think the Suns might be on the look out for a mature midfield replacement after losing Caddy, so just curious whats out there. And at least a QLD recruit won't get homesick!

The Suns wanted to use Toy as a running back pocket/flanker, but when he matures I can't see any reason why he can't play midfield or even defensive fwd. Reads the play extremely well. The kid has the goods, thumping accurate kick, good size tough body. Was compared to a Luke Hodge style player/leadership qualities as a junior.

Just didn't click at the Suns, had massive family drama just before signing with the Suns as a 17yo with his father passing away. The club tried to manage the situation letting him return to Victoria on a training program, etc, but his fitness was lacking on his return. It instantly put him down the pecking order with 35 other talented kids around him. Then homesickness set in, his heart wasn't on the Gold Coast, and you get the picture. Ended up with 13 games in 2 seasons. Once he is back in Victoria with his family and friends and he will fire, I have no doubt. I really don't think it will take much at all to secure Toy by himself. If the club tries to bundle him with Caddy in a trade, might make things more complicated. Who knows?

Toy: 185cm/87kg, 20yo.

Jesse Hogan had 24 disposals, 10 marks and kicked 4.0 for Claremont in a WAFL Colts prelim this morning (all those 3 figures were the best of anyone on the ground).

Originally i was really hoping we wouldn't trade for a 17yo, but i'm definitely warming to it.

Thx for the Bail info. Think the Suns might be on the look out for a mature midfield replacement after losing Caddy, so just curious whats out there. And at least a QLD recruit won't get homesick!

The Suns wanted to use Toy as a running back pocket/flanker, but when he matures I can't see any reason why he can't play midfield or even defensive fwd. Reads the play extremely well. The kid has the goods, thumping accurate kick, good size tough body. Was compared to a Luke Hodge style player/leadership qualities as a junior.

Just didn't click at the Suns, had massive family drama just before signing with the Suns as a 17yo with his father passing away. The club tried to manage the situation letting him return to Victoria on a training program, etc, but his fitness was lacking on his return. It instantly put him down the pecking order with 35 other talented kids around him. Then homesickness set in, his heart wasn't on the Gold Coast, and you get the picture. Ended up with 13 games in 2 seasons. Once he is back in Victoria with his family and friends and he will fire, I have no doubt. I really don't think it will take much at all to secure Toy by himself. If the club tries to bundle him with Caddy in a trade, might make things more complicated. Who knows?

Toy: 185cm/87kg, 20yo.

Great info WrongUn, thanks for that. I remember seeing Toy as a bottom age player in the 18s back in 2008 I think... Boy he had a huge boot on him. Would come cheaply, we should definitely have a look at him.

Is Jack Martin a lot better than him? Because the last thing I want is getting P2 and him not being there...

I wouldn't say Martin is better than him, no.

Martin has some serious x-factor though - Daisy Thomas-esque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back