List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone upset with this deal is mad. Put it into perspective.. The fact we got him to sign for the reported 800K a year is a worth the pick 28 in itself.. He is worth over 1 million in today's market. Hell, Tom Boyd is on over 1 million a year and played VFL most of the year... We got one of the best players on the league for WAY under market value.
Very good point. Danger 800 v Boyd 1 mil. Enough said.

Well initially didn't get the vibe, but now thinking we've got one of the best players in the league for not really a lot.

They are thinking about, how to fit Smith and Hendo in and going for broke in the next two years with free agency.

I don't mind it, risky, but there's a gap for when GWS and or GC come good.

Just had to fix up your quote. I would trade Selwood happily for that. He's just come off the worst season he's ever had and has played 8 brutal seasons (including finals nearly 9 seasons) of footy and frankly looks well past his best. I reckon physically he'd be about 32 not 27.

True about the brutal way he plays & how many seasons he has played.

But will be back to his best, if not better I feel, with Danger & Scooter in (Danger more so).

Definitely not past it for mine.

Just had to fix up your quote. I would happily trade Selwood for that. He's just come off the worst season he's ever had and has played 8 brutal seasons (including finals nearly 9 seasons) of footy and frankly looks well past his best. I reckon physically he'd be about 32 not 27.
Worst. Post. Ever.

AFL.com.au's Geelong expert Peter Ryan reports the Cats and Adelaide are closing in on a boom trade for Patrick Dangerfield.The Cats' pick 9, a later pick in this year's draft (possibly pick 28) and South Australian midfielder Dean Gore could satisfy the Crows.

Is it confirmed to be pick 28?

Just had to fix up your quote. I would happily trade Selwood for that. He's just come off the worst season he's ever had and has played 8 brutal seasons (including finals nearly 9 seasons) of footy and frankly looks well past his best. I reckon physically he'd be about 32 not 27.
You did not just say that!

Gore was probably homesick and more than happy to agree to be part of the trade. I hope that was the case anyways so in that sense, we should probably move along and consider this a very fair swap. It's 'apparently' a weak draft after all and we have secured one of the few players in the league who can go on to match the exploits of Bartel, Johnson or Ablett.

I like happy Bobby :p

2001: Luke Molan
2002: Hamish McIntosh
2003: David Trotter
2004: Jordan Russell
2005: Mitch Clark
2006: David Armitage
2007: Ben McEvoy
2008: Jack Ziebell
2009: Andrew Moore
2010: Dion Prestia
2011: Adam Tomlinson
2012: Nick Vlaustin
2013: Christian Salem
2014: Darcy Moore

How many certain guns?

As for 28:
2001: Mark Powell
2002: Tristan Carteledge
2003: Jay Nash
2004: Chad Gibson
2005: Matt Riggio
2006: Chris Dawes
2007: Marlon Motlop
2008: Shaun McKernan
2009: Mitch Duncan
2010: Ryan Lester
2011: Fraser McInnes
2012: Tim O'Brien
2013: Lewis Taylor
2014: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

There are some guns (and potential guns) in both groups, no doubt, and drafting has improved in recent years meaning I realize that results from the early 2000s aren't as relevant.

But the point is that draft picks are speculative, not certain entities like Dangerfield. We know what we're getting from Dangerfield for the next few years. Adelaide have very little idea what the trade means for them yet. Much like the Carlton/WCE Judd deal, it will be no doubt scrutinized about five years from now, when Danger is winding down and those three kids are entering their prime age.

Looking at that list of #9's, maybe its a good thing we traded away the pick because the guys on our list who were taken at #9 have hardly set the world on fire during their time in the hoops

AFL.com.au's Geelong expert Peter Ryan reports the Cats and Adelaide are closing in on a boom trade for Patrick Dangerfield.The Cats' pick 9, a later pick in this year's draft (possibly pick 28) and South Australian midfielder Dean Gore could satisfy the Crows.

Is it confirmed to be pick 28?

Technically nothing has been confirmed. Just "it's been reported Pick 9, 28 & Gore". Could come out & be Smedts, Simpson & a packet of chips...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True about the brutal way he plays & how many seasons he has played.

But will be back to his best, if not better I feel, with Danger & Scooter in (Danger more so).

Definitely not past it for mine.
I doubt it. He'll be our fourth best mid next year behind Danger, Duncan, and Motlop.

Anyone upset with this deal is mad. Put it into perspective.. The fact we got him to sign for the reported 800K a year is a worth the pick 28 in itself.. He is worth over 1 million in today's market. Hell, Tom Boyd is on over 1 million a year and played VFL most of the year... We got one of the best players on the league for WAY under market value.
I think this is key. The reason cats were so keen to get him via trading and not via the draft

Shit! Just skipped 10+ pages now I've got to go back to see how Gore fits in..

Far out! They want our best picks then they want to screw us for more!! So much for having a good relationship with the AFC and for not selling the farm!!

Going back to read it all now :(

Looking at that list of #9's, maybe its a good thing we traded away the pick because the guys on our list who were taken at #9 have hardly set the world on fire during their time in the hoops

If they take a ruckman, they might just wind up at Geelong in about 10 years' time, broken down and depressed.

I'd wait till its announced.

The "will include 9, 28 and Gore". Not that the trade is 9, 28 and Gore for PD. It doesn't limit the transaction to being purely about those guys. I am still expecting a bigger trade.

Gore, who cares, seriously.

don't they say the signs of a fair deal is one where both teams think they got bent over?

There are reasons for Geelong to be unhappy and reasons for Adelaide to be unhappy - the deal could have been much worse from our end, so at the end of the day while it is disappointing to see Gore go without playing a game for the club, I wish him well at Adelaide but our more pressing needs are met with this deal.

I doubt it. He'll be our fourth best mid next year behind Danger, Duncan, and Motlop.
If Joel Selwood is your fourth best midfielder then things are going very, very right.

However, you're wrong. Neither Motlop nor Duncan has risen to that level yet, despite their better games looking like a million bucks.

Fail = player does not make it, e.g., Burbury.

That is extremely subjective, what I can do is tell you how many players reached a certain games played milestone.

Between the years of 1997-2007
pick 9: 3 out of 11 played less than 50 games
pick 28: 8 out of 11 played less than 50 games (a "cursed" pick relative to the ones around it)
pick 55: (Gore's draft pick) 6 out of 11 played less than 50 games (one of the better picks in its general area)

Of all picks in the national draft in those years, 423 out 826 picks played less than 50 games (51%).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back