List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crows supporters need to understand that if there is a trade (if), crows are not going to get fair value.

It's not going to be, nor should it be fair value.

Why?

Well we hold all the bargaining power, the team losing the player NEVER wins the trade, danger is out of contract, has nominated geelong in isolation/will ONLY play for us. There are other reasons but I could go on forever.
It's absolutely true, it's always been true. Pick 19 (or whatever it was) for Franklin was unders. The picks that gave us Smedts and Caddy for possibly the greatest player of the modern era was certainly unders. Same goes for any purported deals involving the likes of Tippett. The only one where the price was fair was the Judd deal - but that's only because West Coast did so well with Kennedy.

I'll believe Adelaide will match when it happens. For now I'm going to stick with my belief that Geelong will do whatever it can to convince Adelaide to take the compo and since we have all the aces in this battle there's no reason to think we won't be successful in that.

You would think that all discussions between Geelong and Adelaide have been and will be predicated on keeping the free bonus pick in play. It's too big an asset for the 2 clubs to wilfully throw away.

Hello I Felix. I come to Australia about 5 year ago to work in factory.

I wish you very good luck with new player.

I sad to see you go and wish you great fortune.

I'll believe Adelaide will match when it happens. For now I'm going to stick with my belief that Geelong will do whatever it can to convince Adelaide to take the compo and since we have all the aces in this battle there's no reason to think we won't be successful in that.
I reckon it's the AFL we have to convince. If the AFL puts up two first-round picks for Dangerfield rather than the one, then suddenly Adelaide may not have much to gain by matching. Until that point comes around, if I were Adelaide, I'd match every day of the week simply by virtue of the fact that Geelong's first pick is earlier than Adelaide's, so at the worst that's a win over any compensation offer.

It's absolutely true, it's always been true. Pick 19 (or whatever it was) for Franklin was unders. The picks that gave us Smedts and Caddy for possibly the greatest player of the modern era was certainly unders. Same goes for any purported deals involving the likes of Tippett. The only one where the price was fair was the Judd deal - but that's only because West Coast did so well with Kennedy.
Not expecting fair value as a crow's supporter but expecting more than compo if we match

I'm not sure if anyone has explored or mentioned this option, why doesnt Geelong give another offer and also advises Adelaide Football Club that they will entertain another and separate trade that is clearly in AFC's favour. What this means, is Adelaide gets the compensation pick (a first round pick) under Free Agency. Then in a second trade during trade week, we offer a range of players for trade to Adelaide football club with say a swap of later draft picks, or potentially our 2nd round pick thrown in with a player, for say a 3rd or 4th round pick from adelaide. Why dont they explore trading options like that with Adelaide. Its clear Paddy wants to go to Geelong, so why dont the Cats get creative with the trading options.

I'm not sure if anyone has explored or mentioned this option, why doesnt Geelong give another offer and also advises Adelaide Football Club that they will entertain another and separate trade that is clearly in AFC's favour. What this means, is Adelaide gets the compensation pick (a first round pick) under Free Agency. Then in a second trade during trade week, we offer a range of players for trade to Adelaide football club with say a swap of later draft picks, or potentially our 2nd round pick thrown in with a player, for say a 3rd or 4th round pick from adelaide. Why dont they explore trading options like that with Adelaide. Its clear Paddy wants to go to Geelong, so why dont the Cats get creative with the trading options.

Its called Draft Tampering and is illegal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe that's why he mentioned Victoria instead of geelong ...just in case

Not true,

Another example of how you are trying to twist facts to suit your 'sob filled little agenda'.

Dangerfield will be at the cats next year, and (thankfully) you'll be here far less frequently :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Not my choice , 70% + club will ...our clubs get along even if our supporters aren't ...there will be a compromise deal no doubt

At worst for us a future 1st round pick and swapping this year's firsts

But is that significantly different to what's on offer (approx pick 14)?

What you also lose is goodwill?

The ability to say
- to Paddy we know we're losing on the deal but because of your great service we're not going to match
- to Geelong in future - we didn't match on PD so we're asking for the same goodwill in return

Intangibles I know but it's about the making the best of a bad situation

For what it's worth the cats have been on the other end (ablet, mumford, bundy) and trades are never equal, it's just trying to make the best of the situation.

to be honest I wouldn't be fussed if he stayed with the crows for another two years. That would be fair to me. Maybe the question should be .....what is it worth to get him two years early?

Last edited:
the AFL will facilitate so that the compo pick stays in play, and the two clubs come to some sort of arrangement where adelaide ends up with geelongs #9 also. how that happens I dont know, but they will work it out. the afl do what they like in all sorts of areas of their business, and its in their interest to make this happen with ease (i.e. they don't want to get the aflpa off side). geelong will give up a first rounder, and adelaide will end up with three (including their own standard pick). thats a fair result for everyone.

I reckon it's the AFL we have to convince. If the AFL puts up two first-round picks for Dangerfield rather than the one, then suddenly Adelaide may not have much to gain by matching. Until that point comes around, if I were Adelaide, I'd match every day of the week simply by virtue of the fact that Geelong's first pick is earlier than Adelaide's, so at the worst that's a win over any compensation offer.

Yep I'd suggest that's a big part of what the current "discussions" will be. I highly doubt Geelong is going "ok we could get him for free but we're generous so here's 2 first rounders."

It's much more likely to be Geelong saying "we can engineer a situation where matching is pointless. So rather than beating our chests over nothing and you guys just ending with the compo pick anyway let's try and get the best out of this situation."

Brian Cook's highly respected. There's a good argument to be made that Adelaide deserve special consideration in their current situation. Not just with Dangerfield but obviously with Walsh too. If he argues for Adelaide to receive some extra compensation it'll carry more weight than just Adelaide asking for more help. Whether that's draft picks or some financial compensation, Adelaide would still be better off going for that than huffing and puffing and ending up with just the compo.

Brian Cook's highly respected. There's a good argument to be made that Adelaide deserve special consideration in their current situation. Not just with Dangerfield but obviously with Walsh too. If he argues for Adelaide to receive some extra compensation it'll carry more weight than just Adelaide asking for more help. Whether that's draft picks or some financial compensation, Adelaide would still be better off going for that than huffing and puffing and ending up with just the compo.

What is that good argument, just as a matter of interest?

How exactly do you think those negotiations go?.

Geelong: can you please take the compo?
Crows. No we won't.
Geelong: we will send him to the draft and take him there then for nothing.
Crows: go nuts. We will be lynched by our fans if we accept pick 14.
Geelong: pretty super pretty please?

Scott has basically admitted we are trading. There is no negotiation unless a trade is taking place.

What is that good argument, just as a matter of interest?

I don't see how the Walsh tragedy could possibly impact the compo, but I think there is an argument to made that these are exceptional circumstances.

Most free agents have moved clubs chasing success (Frawley, Dal Santo, Waite) or big money (Franklin, Betts, Goddard).

Dangerfield is clearly wanting to come home for personal reasons and by all accounts will be playing for far less than he could receive elsewhere. Some reports say Melbourne have offered $1.2m a year. He is potentially forgoing a lot of extra money by wanting to move back to his hometown.

Therefore Danger's situation is unlike any FA before him. He is a reigning AA and B&F winner - potentially Brownlow winner too. I think there are grounds for Adelaide and/or Geelong to be pushing for two first round compensation picks given the unique nature of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back