List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am staggered anyone is unhappy about this deal!
Me too. Posters on the Adelaide board are bemused that people on the Geelong board are venting their spleen over the deal. As one Adelaide poster put it - unless there is some talented kid who has been tucked away out of sight, everyone pretty much knows what to expect in this year's draft - not a lot.

It's pick 9 almost a certain gun. 28 a probable. And Dean Gore will be a player I have no doubt. Terrible trade.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

2001: Luke Molan
2002: Hamish McIntosh
2003: David Trotter
2004: Jordan Russell
2005: Mitch Clark
2006: David Armitage
2007: Ben McEvoy
2008: Jack Ziebell
2009: Andrew Moore
2010: Dion Prestia
2011: Adam Tomlinson
2012: Nick Vlaustin
2013: Christian Salem
2014: Darcy Moore

How many certain guns?

As for 28:
2001: Mark Powell
2002: Tristan Carteledge
2003: Jay Nash
2004: Chad Gibson
2005: Matt Riggio
2006: Chris Dawes
2007: Marlon Motlop
2008: Shaun McKernan
2009: Mitch Duncan
2010: Ryan Lester
2011: Fraser McInnes
2012: Tim O'Brien
2013: Lewis Taylor
2014: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

There are some guns (and potential guns) in both groups, no doubt, and drafting has improved in recent years meaning I realize that results from the early 2000s aren't as relevant.

But the point is that draft picks are speculative, not certain entities like Dangerfield. We know what we're getting from Dangerfield for the next few years. Adelaide have very little idea what the trade means for them yet. Much like the Carlton/WCE Judd deal, it will be no doubt scrutinized about five years from now, when Danger is winding down and those three kids are entering their prime age.

People are looking at the Rfa and thinking we got bent over.
But we were obviously going to get matched.

So in that scenario, what is pd worth?
Would you have been happy with 2 first rounders?

We have lost a pick 55 player FFS

Why can't crows accept free agent compo?
Then I'd be more comfortable handing over Gore with picks 9 and 28 if we could get 14 back which we could then on trade.

Well you didn't offer a contract.

Plus i think the whole AFL thing about side deals may have given a fair warning to both sides. It is an organization that does take a lot of joy from making rules up on the spot ;)

Me too. Posters on the Adelaide board are bemused that people on the Geelong board are venting their spleen over the deal. As one Adelaide poster put it - unless there is some talented kid who has been tucked away out of sight, everyone pretty much knows what to expect in this year's draft - not a lot.
Exactly 9 & 28 and an untried player is a steal. So basically to date weve got Danger & S Selwood for 9 & 28 and an untried player
Biggest steal ever

Edit: makes it ever more of steal getting pick #50 back

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gore was probably homesick and more than happy to agree to be part of the trade. I hope that was the case anyways so in that sense, we should probably move along and consider this a very fair swap. It's 'apparently' a weak draft after all and we have secured one of the few players in the league who can go on to match the exploits of Bartel, Johnson or Ablett.

Anyone upset with this deal is mad. Put it into perspective.. The fact we got him to sign for the reported 800K a year is a worth the pick 28 in itself.. He is worth over 1 million in today's market. Hell, Tom Boyd is on over 1 million a year and played VFL most of the year... We got one of the best players on the league for WAY under market value.

2001: Luke Molan
2002: Hamish McIntosh
2003: David Trotter
2004: Jordan Russell
2005: Mitch Clark
2006: David Armitage
2007: Ben McEvoy
2008: Jack Ziebell
2009: Andrew Moore
2010: Dion Prestia
2011: Adam Tomlinson
2012: Nick Vlaustin
2013: Christian Salem
2014: Darcy Moore

How many certain guns?

As for 28:
2001: Mark Powell
2002: Tristan Carteledge
2003: Jay Nash
2004: Chad Gibson
2005: Matt Riggio
2006: Chris Dawes
2007: Marlon Motlop
2008: Shaun McKernan
2009: Mitch Duncan
2010: Ryan Lester
2011: Fraser McInnes
2012: Tim O'Brien
2013: Lewis Taylor
2014: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

There are some guns (and potential guns) in both groups, no doubt, and drafting has improved in recent years meaning I realize that results from the early 2000s aren't a relevant.

But the point in that draft picks are speculative, not certain entities like Dangerfield. We know what we're getting from Dangerfield for the next few years. Adelaide have very little idea what the trade means for them yet. Much like the Carlton/WCE Judd deal, it will be no doubt scrutinized about five years from now, when Danger is winding down and those three kids are entering their prime age.
Gee looking at those pick 28s they might need to ask wells to pick for them.

People are looking at the Rfa and thinking we got bent over.
But we were obviously going to get matched.

So in that scenario, what is pd worth?
Would you have been happy with 2 first rounders?

We have lost a pick 55 player FFS
Not only that, but it also helps with the TPP situation.
We can now structure Paddy's deal in a way that will help us retain our players as well as target future players. Win win situation.

I think we also have to consider the value in him taking big unders financially to come to Geelong, what that might do for us in retaining other players over the coming years can't be underestimated. We've got two of the games best midfielders now in their prime, both taking $200-400k under what they could get elsewhere.

Gore was probably homesick and more than happy to agree to be part of the trade. I hope that was the case anyways so in that sense, we should probably move along and consider this a very fair swap. It's 'apparently' a weak draft after all and we have secured one of the few players in the league who can go on to match the exploits of Bartel, Johnson or Ablett.
He was not home sick. He just accepted a contract extension.

Imagine if we traded Selwood for 9, 28 and a talented contested possession winning kid with great disposal who was pick 55 the year prior?
Just had to fix up your quote. I would happily trade Selwood for that. He's just come off the worst season he's ever had and has played 8 brutal seasons (including finals nearly 9 seasons) of footy and frankly looks well past his best. I reckon physically he'd be about 32 not 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back