Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Time to get it started.

My top six

Benalla, Euroa, Seymour, Mooroopna, Echuca, Shepp United.

Premier: Benalla

Morrison Medal: Mark Porter (benalla) - going along the lines of the recent trend of ruckman to win the medal.

Goalkicking: Scott Grainger (110 goals for Euroa)

Wooden spoon: Shepp Bears.

Interested in what the other GVFL thread regulars have to say.

centreman said:
Time to get it started.

My top six

Morrison Medal: Mark Porter (benalla) - going along the lines of the recent trend of ruckman to win the medal.

2001- Craig Sholl
2002- Jarrod Sutherland
2003- Rhys Archard/S.R Ash
2004- Shane Schottner
2005- Matt Byers

The every second year trend Centreman, I like your thinking...

Flat Track Bully said:
2001- Craig Sholl
2002- Jarrod Sutherland
2003- Rhys Archard/S.R Ash
2004- Shane Schottner
2005- Matt Byers

The every second year trend Centreman, I like your thinking...

It's not every second year, but you can go back to Stephen Orr in 1997 and Ty Esler in 1995 as well.

The umps seem to love the big men of the competition.

Bit suprised that you dont have rochester in your six from the weekend they looked pretty strong in the lightening premiership in bendigo on the weekend taking out the title.

cationer said:
Bit suprised that you dont have rochester in your six from the weekend they looked pretty strong in the lightening premiership in bendigo on the weekend taking out the title.

Yeah, that would be a good form line, Echuca took half a side, Rochy had a few out and even the Bendigo sides had numerous players out. The games were apparently 2, 15 minute halves in very blustery conditions. Rochy might make the six (though I personally dont think so), but the lightning premiership in Bendigo from all reports was a bit of a laugh in the end.

cationer said:

I gotta lot of respect for the Tigers, and I know they've picked up a couple. But I think David Williams's message is going to get tired sooner or later. I write them off at my own peril though, I know that.

I see that Rochy beat Echuca in the lightning premiership on the weeekend. That means nothing at all. Rochy will get pumped during the year. I hate to say that because i admire their die hard attitude but we have to be realistic here. Echuca will also get pumped if they have 2 or 3 injuries to thier senior line up. If they can stay injury free they will make the finals, just.

I had a look at the departures from Echuca and boy has there been a mass exodus! Alot of 2's players leaving the club and only 2 or 3 senior players. So the depth will be a talking point i think.

Kyabram have not been talked about much! Might be a good thing i suppose. . .

centreman said:
Time to get it started.

My top six

Goalkicking: Scott Grainger (110 goals for Euroa)

Wooden spoon: Shepp Bears.

Interested in what the other GVFL thread regulars have to say.

Big Call saying shepp bears will get the wooden spoon. I watched the game against tat on the weekend which shepp won by about 7 goals i think.. with the likes of Matt Byers, Anthony Mellington, Nick Allen and a few others not playing i think we are in for a few suprises form the bears.

Wow didn't the seymour boys pipe up, settle down boys its only a 2 point loss........although could be early signs of a premiership hangover......;)

No Heart your kidding yourself if you think East burwoods ground is small, it would be atleast the same size as Mansfields, if not bigger.

Also mate you cant say that the GVFL is better because they play on bigger grounds and need fitter and more skillfull players. Currently in most suburban leagues, definetly in the Eastern FL there are 3 grounds which would be equal in size to say....deakin reserve and all the finals are played on these size grounds.

Teams in surburban footy need to play on both large and small grounds week in week out, so if your boys couldn't adjust to the size of a ground which is not small, I think your trying to hard to find excuses...........;)

Cheers

I agree with orange boy on the shepp bears. Going on the form they showed in the match against tat on the weekend, they looked alright, moved the ball well to two good forwards who finished off with 10 goals between them. With the likes of mellington, byres and allan plus five others to come in to the side for round 1, a few surprises may be on the cards. Sorry centreman i think your wrong, tat for the wooden spoon.

Doona's top six before a ball is bounced

Euroa, Seymour, Benalla, Mooroopna, then Shepp United, Rochy or Echuca

Morrison Medal: Paul Kirby (Tatura) - if the Doggies can win a few more games in 2006 Id love to see me old mate win it. Has been a very consistent player the past few seasons.

Goalkicking: Symes (Benalla) or Gordon (Seymour), think both can get a ton.

Wooden spoon: Kyabram (based on the transfers pages)

ECHUCABOY said:
Wow didn't the seymour boys pipe up, settle down boys its only a 2 point loss........although could be early signs of a premiership hangover......;)

No Heart your kidding yourself if you think East burwoods ground is small, it would be atleast the same size as Mansfields, if not bigger.

Also mate you cant say that the GVFL is better because they play on bigger grounds and need fitter and more skillfull players. Currently in most suburban leagues, definetly in the Eastern FL there are 3 grounds which would be equal in size to say....deakin reserve and all the finals are played on these size grounds.

Teams in surburban footy need to play on both large and small grounds week in week out, so if your boys couldn't adjust to the size of a ground which is not small, I think your trying to hard to find excuses...........;)

Cheers

Well said Echucaboy, its a pity we have one alias No Heart with No Idea?????

Doozy_Man said:
I see that Rochy beat Echuca in the lightning premiership on the weeekend. That means nothing at all. Rochy will get pumped during the year. I hate to say that because i admire their die hard attitude but we have to be realistic here. Echuca will also get pumped if they have 2 or 3 injuries to thier senior line up. If they can stay injury free they will make the finals, just.

I had a look at the departures from Echuca and boy has there been a mass exodus! Alot of 2's players leaving the club and only 2 or 3 senior players. So the depth will be a talking point i think.

Kyabram have not been talked about much! Might be a good thing i suppose. . .

Who's going to pump them? There are only 3 stand out teams and the rest are pretty even.

I think you'll find the club will view the lightening premiership win as a very positive result for the club. Firstly, they played a lot of young guys and secondly, the club gets a $2000 cheque. Hardly worth turning your nose up at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zazu99 said:
I agree with orange boy on the shepp bears. Going on the form they showed in the match against tat on the weekend, they looked alright, moved the ball well to two good forwards who finished off with 10 goals between them. With the likes of mellington, byres and allan plus five others to come in to the side for round 1, a few surprises may be on the cards. Sorry centreman i think your wrong, tat for the wooden spoon.

Shepp Bears where good on the weekend, Mellington and Byres where the only 2 of note to miss, they fielded a very strong side. We had 6 senior boys not playing including Marty Mcragth and Trav Ryan only played a quarter which he kicked 2 goals and looked the goods. Scores at 3qtr time where even and we basically played the last qtr with 17 players with a few of the better players coming of (Mcdonald,Wellington,Polly etc). However they look better than what people are giving them credit for and i would think they will win a few more games than they wont this year.

Interested to see that most of the GV sides got flogged by O&M teams, would have thought it might have been a bit more even.

Echucaboy, howd you go on the weekend?? get a few Ps??

cheers

nomis#17 said:
tige19, how did young fella's bret scarcella and ryan butler go for tat?

Scarcy went alright, i rate the guy, he seems to be lighting and when he learns the ropes a bit and knows where to run and make some better decisions when he has the pill i reckon he could be a genuine gun. I know the club really rates him and i think you will see him play pretty much in the ones, he has a heap of talent. How did he go at Ky last year?

Ryan Butler is a gem, if he doesnt play Bushies then i think you will see a fair bit of him with us. Is very small but it doesnt seem to bother him, no way out of his depth at GV senior level and by playing seniors i would think it wouldnt be long before his a regular at TAC.

cheers

hey mate think we got done by a goal, had about 10 out and after half time rotated blokes through the bench. I nearly touched the ball once......;)

Good to hear the all conquering Euegene "poffa" Caseys knee has come good for Echuca.

hey mate think we got done by a goal, had about 10 out and after half time rotated blokes through the bench. I nearly touched the ball once......;)

Good to hear the all conquering Euegene "poffa" Caseys knee has come good for Echuca.

How did he go at Ky last year?

scarc started in a blaze of gorly in his first game for the club playing in the senior, getting third best or so, wasn't able to follow it up the next week unfortunatly. Came back to the thirds for the rest of the year then and plated consistant footy to pick the b&f and help them into the granny.

His down fall is the effort he puts in, he has real potential. i think someone has just got to get him to realise that, which could be a tough ask

Just wondering if any seymour people (grandale), could update me on why pete pap is wearing an arm brace whilst playing footy??? Have it on good auhority he believes it makes him run faster, something to do with wind resistance. Is this true? The other rumour floating around is that he see's it as a fashion statement to make up for his brothers lack of fashion! (Rip Quale)

mitch_fc said:
i probably won't be playing as i have injured my cocsix (coxsic, cocksic, arse) bone... which is quite ironic i guess..

i reckon we'll go ok.

Whilst I haven't seen lower plenty play, I don't think Rochy will be a force this year so don't know where the "you'll get pumped" is coming from.

Watched Rochy play in the BFL lightning p'ship last week and while they won they were not fantasic.... Only had to win 4 games (2 x 15min halves) to win the lot....

It may be a longer year than people expect for Rochy...

Heard on the grape vine that Shepp Swans and Tatura are in a bidding war for 2 aboriginal brothers who play for Wanderes in NT. Apparentley 1 of which one the league medal a year or so back and the other came very close this year.
If money is the sole motivation for the 2 brothers then you would think Tat would hold the upper hand, however should they be seaking full time employment it seems as though Mr.Bott likes to help out these Shepp sides, eg Jeremy Obrien and Lochy Veale.
At this stage ive been given the mail that Tatura have the inside running as the Wanderes president is an ex Bulldog man. Second hand info fellas but i know for sure that the brothers will either be at Swans or Bulldogs. Anyone else heard anything about it?? you would think that which ever team signs the 2 would move alot closer to finals action.

cookie33 said:
Heard on the grape vine that Shepp Swans and Tatura are in a bidding war for 2 aboriginal brothers who play for Wanderes in NT. Apparentley 1 of which one the league medal a year or so back and the other came very close this year.
If money is the sole motivation for the 2 brothers then you would think Tat would hold the upper hand, however should they be seaking full time employment it seems as though Mr.Bott likes to help out these Shepp sides, eg Jeremy Obrien and Lochy Veale.
At this stage ive been given the mail that Tatura have the inside running as the Wanderes president is an ex Bulldog man. Second hand info fellas but i know for sure that the brothers will either be at Swans or Bulldogs. Anyone else heard anything about it?? you would think that which ever team signs the 2 would move alot closer to finals action.

Are they the Maher brothers??? I know Swans were chasing them but last I heard they had gone to Nth Adeladie. There's huge wraps. If Swans lost them to Tat they would be fuming as i know they've put in a power of work. The president and another official have been up there separately at different times. Again I don't know if these are the same brothers.

The Swans have been chasing a lot from up Darwin and expect to get a few more this week although you never know. One thing the swans do have is a good relationship with the league.

journeyman said:
Are they the Maher brothers??? I know Swans were chasing them but last I heard they had gone to Nth Adeladie. There's huge wraps. If Swans lost them to Tat they would be fuming as i know they've put in a power of work. The president and another official have been up there separately at different times. Again I don't know if these are the same brothers.

The Swans have been chasing a lot from up Darwin and expect to get a few more this week although you never know. One thing the swans do have is a good relationship with the league.

Mate to be honest i have no idea there names i was just chatting to a couple of fellas that are involved at Tat fairly heavily and they seem to be quite confident of landing them. Also speaking to a Swans player and he also said that they where confident of getting them.
All i know is that they come from Wanderes and are deadset stars, with the GV being open fast paced football you would think that they would be in the top echolan of player running around.
Either side weather that be Tat or Swans if they manage to land the 2 of them it would really push either 1 of them to within the top 4 or 5 sides. At the moment i would probably have the Swans and Tat just outside the finals so these 2 boys would be crucial.

i dont no if anyones got the time but it would be good to get a ins and outs
on all clubs similiar to whats at the start of this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad