Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Quit promise

'I am pretty disappointed in the way they are repaying my faith in them and at the end of the game I reiterated that.' - Dave Gleeson

May 7 2007
Shepparton News

Euroa coach Dave Gleeson appears set to walk out on the Magpies after a threequarter-time tirade finished with a resignation ultimatum.
Spectators were left stunned when Gleeson unleashed a verbal spray to his players, saying he would quit as coach if they did not win their clash against Benalla on Saturday.

The Magpies went down by 28 points.

A deflated Gleeson yesterday said his comment was not an empty threat and he would address the Melbourne-based playing group on Tuesday to discuss his future with the club.

"I meant it," Gleeson said.

"I said at three-quartertime that I wouldn't be there next week."

Gleeson said he was struggling to get his message through to the entire playing group and was still contemplating whether to remain as coach.

"I'm at a stage I'm not getting the right responses from these players," he said.

"When we win and lose games and are trying I have no problem.

"If I tell them and it doesn't work, then it's my fault, but when they're not playing the way I want them to play, whose fault is that?

"I am pretty disappointed in the way they are repaying my faith in them and at the end of the game I reiterated that.

"We have proved we're capable of mixing it with the better sides, so whether it's my coaching style or they need another coaching style, I don't know."

Singling out three or four players including ruckman Damon Clarke during the final change, Gleeson said his outburst was an attempt to get more out of his players and had taken their lack of response personally.

He said many of his players had become comfortable knowing that the playing list was not what it was.

"I'm bitterly disappointed," Gleeson said.

"Some were trying, but some were terrible."

Club president Xavier Thomson and clubman John Billman yesterday gave unwavering support for Gleeson as coach.

"Whatever happens, I will be comfortable in the way I go," Gleeson said.

"As much as I enjoy football, I'm not happy with the way things are going."

I think it best Mr Gleeson leave now, speaking about or to your playing group like that is an absolute disgrace..

Dont think so head. I heard you boys had a good win on Saturday, must have been my presence on the training track last week that inspired you boys..:D
A great win Boss. We tried to give it up, they hit the post with a snap from the boundry on the siren. How were the legs after all that running. Obviously didn't hurt you as i see you were one who didnt throw your a$$ in the corner.:)

how's this for a stat. saad saad's last 6 games against rochester.

2007 rd 4 - 10 goals
2006 rd 3 - 7 goals, rd 14 - 13 goals
2005 rd 3 - 11 goals, rd 16 - 4 goals, elim final - 7 goals

52 goals in 6 games

Saad is a superstar...don't be embarrased by those figures. Although he does seem to have a liking to Rochy.

What are his chances of the great man kicking a ton this year? Been close last two years. My prediction is if Saad kicks 100 goals, Seymour WILL win the flag, if he doesn't, they won't. Saad is on track...as are the mighty lions.

Faith dealers

May 8 2007
Shepparton News

Euroa's playing group is 100 per cent behind coach Dave Gleeson according to on-field leader Shane Clayton.

The former AFL star said the players had let Gleeson down during the second half of their 28-point loss to Benalla on Saturday and wanted their coach to remain at the helm.

Gleeson threatened to quit the club during his three-quarter-time address to players, if they did not win the match.

He told The News on Sunday, players were no longer responding to his instructions.

"He's got 100 per cent support from the players," Clayton said.

"We've taken full responsibility for the result as a playing group.

"I don't think there is anything wrong with the coach, it's more the players now standing up."

Clayton said Gleeson had every right to behave in the manner he had during the final change and that a 20-minute player-only meeting was held after the side's surprise defeat, to nut out issues surrounding the Magpies' on-field performance.

"It was heated, as it should have been," he said.

"We only played to 50 per cent of our potential and it was a game we expected to win.

"We played worse than the week before (where Euroa lost to the Swans by 100 points)."

He said Gleeson's faith in the Magpies would need to be restored, but was confident he would remain after discussions with the club's Melbourne-based players tonight.

"It's important for everyone around the club to know we are 100 per cent behind him," Clayton said.

"Dave has supported us over the past three or four years, put his reputation on the line.

"Now it's the club's turn to return the faith."

Anyone else read Joe Amad's claim in The Age today that he can kick a goal from outside 50m?
Looks like senility is kicking in already with the old fella...

Thanks for the mention undercover, but really it means crap when we lose. We lost a game that potentially we should have won, but at the end of the day, we are still sitting 2-2 with many other clubs and the season is still early. Im sure we will bounce back in the next few weeks before the interleague game. To be honest, we didnt mention Wes once in the pre game, so to come on here and say one of our players was going to target him is just plain frog sh it coming out of your mouth. We as a playing group know we didnt perform to our standards and dropped away after half time, the spray Dave gave us at 3 qtr time and at the end of the game was deserved. Im pretty confident Dave will stick it out until the end of the year, you must remember he wasnt going to coach at all this year, but the club could not find a suitable applicant for this season, so Dave had a change of heart, to help the club out, so we must re pay some faith to him.

ENough of the political side of things, more importantly who is going to beat Seymour this year? They would be odds on favourites now to win their 3rd flag. Looks like Habers has got them firing again.

What is the age of Tom Rockcliff?

Boys - I had a brief stint in GVFL a few years ago and noticed Peter White is coaching Shep Swans this year. Interested in A-opinion on their side and B- opinion on the coach. I'm new to this thread so keen to hear opinions.

Faith dealers

May 8 2007
Shepparton News

Euroa's playing group is 100 per cent behind coach Dave Gleeson according to on-field leader Shane Clayton.

The former AFL star said the players had let Gleeson down during the second half of their 28-point loss to Benalla on Saturday and wanted their coach to remain at the helm.

Gleeson threatened to quit the club during his three-quarter-time address to players, if they did not win the match.

He told The News on Sunday, players were no longer responding to his instructions.

"He's got 100 per cent support from the players," Clayton said.

"We've taken full responsibility for the result as a playing group.

"I don't think there is anything wrong with the coach, it's more the players now standing up."

Clayton said Gleeson had every right to behave in the manner he had during the final change and that a 20-minute player-only meeting was held after the side's surprise defeat, to nut out issues surrounding the Magpies' on-field performance.

"It was heated, as it should have been," he said.

"We only played to 50 per cent of our potential and it was a game we expected to win.

"We played worse than the week before (where Euroa lost to the Swans by 100 points)."

He said Gleeson's faith in the Magpies would need to be restored, but was confident he would remain after discussions with the club's Melbourne-based players tonight.

"It's important for everyone around the club to know we are 100 per cent behind him," Clayton said.

"Dave has supported us over the past three or four years, put his reputation on the line.

"Now it's the club's turn to return the faith."

This is probably the right thing to say about your coach but lm not sure if he is speaking about the whole playing group,lve nothing against Dave but lm sure there are players that would like to see a change at the helm.There is a problem at the club and sticking your head in the sand is not the way to go.Would be interesting to see the results of an anonymous ballet with both seconds and seniors voting to decide wether they would or wouldnt like to see him remain as head coach.perhaps this would give a true indication.In saying this you cant please everyone in footy as a coach but you need to have respect from a major part of the playing group.Whatever happens, good luck to Dave in this tough job.

sometimes buggered if you do and buggered if you dont

Staying home
By Christie Peucker

May 9 2007
Shepparton News

Euroa coach Dave Gleeson will remain at the helm of the Magpies after crisis talks with players showed resounding support for him to stay.

In what has been a tumultuous few days for Gleeson, he said last night that he would stay with the club under a modified set-up.

Gleeson threatened to quit the club during his three-quarter-time address to players on Saturday if they did not win their match against Benalla.

The side eventually went down by 28 points.

"I said what I said on Saturday because at the time I felt I might not be right for this football club and that I should go," Gleeson said.

"But after speaking with the senior blokes in Euroa on Sunday afternoon and after discussions with the senior group in Melbourne tonight (Tuesday), they have all expressed a desire for me to remain as coach."

Effective immediately, Gleeson said there would be changes to the team plan, with a shift towards becoming more team-orientated.

"They've all given me a commitment that they will do things the way I want them to be done," he said.

"If we lose, as along as we're educating the young players and working together."

Gleeson said he believed the weight of his words would still hold influence with the playing group, despite not upholding his ultimatum to walk out.

`I've been coaching a long time and coaches are always saying things to get the best out of their players," Gleeson said.

"This was not designed to do that, it was a reality check to see what this group wanted, (because) I was questioning if I had their support."

His hard-line stance appears to have had the necessary effect, a number of players personally apologising to Gleeson during the discussions.

"Some of them have taken hold a bit and looked where they're at," Gleeson said.

"We might not win all our games, but I reckon I'll get the right responses."

Defender Scott Watson said the club was keen to move past this "bump in the road" and that honest and open discussions between Gleeson and the players had enabled that to occur.

Nah, didn't catch the game. I only looked at the scores and the write up in the Shep News (if you could call it that).

Rowey has anyone confirmed the after match in regards to Rochy being pumped? Heard Dirty was back to caining players who didnt perform which is his trademark and probably fair enough after the result. Didnt miss many I heard and not the usual culprits

Not sure, but I hope he gave it to them.

Boys - I had a brief stint in GVFL a few years ago and noticed Peter White is coaching Shep Swans this year. Interested in A-opinion on their side and B- opinion on the coach. I'm new to this thread so keen to hear opinions.

Probably one of the most respected coaches in the district. Took Kyabram to a flag in 1996. Has also coached Tongala and assistant at Mooroopna.

The Swans should be right up there this year, although some would say there is a culture of losing at that club. They finished on top of the ladder in 2003 and went out in straight sets. Last year they had a pretty good team but fell away badly again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon its the wrong time to be playing Euroa after last week, the boys up their will be pumped and look as though they have founf a bit of resolve and passion for winning games of footy. Noone can question the talent in the side, and as I said last year if they could get their act together and stop the bickering they could do anything.

How is Ryan Butler going at Ky?? suprised he left but I suppose he did what was best for him, also is big boy Timmy Lanyon getting a kick at Swans?

Anyone else read Joe Amad's claim in The Age today that he can kick a goal from outside 50m?
Looks like senility is kicking in already with the old fella...

Can someone post it on here .. haven't been able to rustle on up down here!!

That is a true rochester response. Eishold was with out question one of the greatest in my time of watching GV football. Any man that can lead a team to that many consecutive finals as a coach and still be able to take the likes of dirty williams (also a good player) to the cleaners as a player, should be considered one of the greats.

That is a true rochester response. Eishold was with out question one of the greatest in my time of watching GV football. Any man that can lead a team to that many consecutive finals as a coach and still be able to take the likes of dirty williams (also a good player) to the cleaners as a player, should be considered one of the greats.

Mind you Dirty Williams would have been about 40 at the time...

Why is there such a big deal that Euroa lost to Benalla?? It's not like Benalla is as bad as Tatura - they're not that bad a side. Sure, Dave threatening to quit has been blown up by the media, but maybe give a little credit to Benalla. If anything Benalla and Euroa have a pretty even senior list, but Benalla has more depth in the 2's.

This weekends match of the round b/ween Seymour and United will determine whether United is a serious challenger for the flag. Seymour to win by 5-6 goals

Can someone post it on here

Sorry to post the whole thing, but it's not a bad yarn (although Amad claims he never spoke to the journo)

FINALLY, to bring an end to the longest pre-season that anyone could remember, Northcote Park coach Greg Whitcroft read out the senior team for the first game after training on Thursday night. The rambling room under the grandstand was hushed as Whitcroft read from the back line.

The coach took care to welcome the recruits who had been added to the team that finished seventh in 2006. Defender Naz Abbouchi, who missed the second half of last season travelling in Germany and Lebanon, was considered a virtual recruit. Hopes were high for a good start to the season against the Bulldogs from North Heidelberg.

Officials serving behind the bar recalled with a rueful laugh, and even a touch of fondness, the many rugged encounters with North Heidelberg. In five consecutive seasons, it was estimated, Northcote Park's matches at North Heidelberg's ground, which is known as the Kennel, had erupted into brawls as the players filed towards the rooms at half-time.

On a day of leafy sunshine, the Northcote Park players ran on to the Bill Lawry Oval and in the first quarter they looked strong. Centre half-forward Sam Jones, who played three senior games for St Kilda in 1994, took a screamer and kicked a goal. The Cougars went into the first break with a three-goal lead.

Then it all fell apart. North Heidelberg's best player was one of four fit and sharp Bulldogs who last month spent four weeks at Echuca United. Wingman Harley Ryan ran and kicked with the raking smoothness of Adelaide's Martin Mattner. After a second quarter in which Ryan was clearly on a different plane, he received the ball near the centre and set off. My colleague, John Harms, who was so moved by Ryan's efforts that he forgot about his disappointing hot dog, said with nonchalance: "This'll be a goal."

Ryan twice appeared set to have a long shot at the sticks before baulking and continuing on his slaloming run. His eventual shot from 30 metres out brought an appreciative roar. It was the best goal I've seen for a long time. Given the air of disbelief among Northcote Park players, they thought the same.

The move to curb Ryan was to put Paul "Tubbsy" Gloury on him. Gloury is a slight and pale student dietitian who works behind a bar to get by. Unlike several teammates, he has hair of one colour, in his case an unfashionable tone of red-brown.

On Thursday night at training, Gloury handed out pamphlets advising the players on what they should eat before the game. On Sunday, he successfully curbed Ryan in the third quarter in a performance that earned strange but heartfelt praise. Coach Whitcroft said at the final break that his prized stopper was short and skinny with no muscles, who couldn't mark and could barely kick. "What he's got is a commitment to the task," Whitcroft said.

In the final quarter, Ryan was moved off Gloury and put in the forward line, where his diminishing influence failed to curb his team's rampage. The final margin was 64 points. Northcote Park players walked off the field with their heads down.

To sum up the Cougars' day, it's necessary to go back to half-time, when 39-year-old Northcote Park midfielder Joe Amad kicked off a series of dressing-room rants by asking his teammates who could kick a goal from outside 50 metres. "Go on," he repeated. "Who can kick a goal from 50 metres?"

To get the ball rolling, he stuck up his own hand. "I can," Amad said. "Anyone else?"

One or two players stuck up their hands. "Right," the veteran fumed. "What are the rest of you doing bombing from outside 50? It's no good putting the ball at the top of the square." He gnashed his teeth. "Just wait until there's a lead."

As Northcote Park filed back on to the field for the third term, I had a brief conversation with Amad in which I doubted that he could kick 50 metres at his age. The veteran admitted under his breath that he had made his claim in order to make a larger point. His parting words were something along the lines of: "Don't tell the young blokes."

In the final quarter, as if to put his claim of kicking prowess to the test, Amad grabbed the ball at half-forward and took a few steps. He was almost directly on top of the 50-metre arc when he let fly with a long bomb towards goal.

His kick was marked on the line.

A City Club appears every fortnight.

Laughable.

You haven't said why he is better at all. McCarty's skill, versatility, decision making and ability to do something special far outweighs Eishold, who is a one-paced, one-trick pony.

I think you are very correct about S.Eishold, was just wondering how he would rate in Echuca's best, in the past decade, I would have thought based on GV only footy, R.Archard, C.Scholl, A.Bryne and maybe, Durie, have matched or exceeded his achievements.

The best players to play for Echuca in recent years in no particular order would be: R Archard, S Eishold, S Orr, C Sholl, B Hogan, A Byrne and currnent players C Durrie and X Cambell can be considered. If there is any notable ones ive missed, fill me in

The best players to play for Echuca in recent years in no particular order would be: R Archard, S Eishold, S Orr, C Sholl, B Hogan, A Byrne and currnent players C Durrie and X Cambell can be considered. If there is any notable ones ive missed, fill me in

Josh Maddox

Brent Lipscombe

Probably one of the most respected coaches in the district. Took Kyabram to a flag in 1996. Has also coached Tongala and assistant at Mooroopna.

The Swans should be right up there this year, although some would say there is a culture of losing at that club. They finished on top of the ladder in 2003 and went out in straight sets. Last year they had a pretty good team but fell away badly again.

Thanks for the run down mate.

I played at Tongala with Peter at the helm. We didn't win a game but I have to say he was the best coach I have had in 20+years of footy. Preparation, knowledge, passion and respect he had was fantastic - and he was a great bloke to have a beer with.

From a bloke who played most of his footy in Metropolitan Melbourne I have to say you blokes have a great comp up there. Hard footy but clean ( that's how I found it anyway).

I remember a couple of names that were thrown around that comp- do you know what they are up to now?

Archard (I think that was his name)
Campbell/s (think brothers at the same club..one was Brad)
Are the Hotton's still braining them? Trent played us at Tongala once and he had his own ball - I am sure of it! (then again...many players did that against our side..we battled a bit to put it mildly but full credit to Peter..never stopped trying things)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad