Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Interesting appraisal Duffy.
Both ex Nth Knights/Nth Bullants (Dean also ex Nth Knights), 8 senior DVFL/NFL premierships between the three, Lee has a senior B & F and in a winning 2006 GF team was unlucky not to get the medal for BOG in a team not expected to win. Whelan unlucky to play in an era when Heid had a succession of gun full forwards. Dean can play key position (CHF/CHB) or ruck.

Not a bad CV for the trio even for an uneducated punter.

Yours is an interesting appraisal of all to Alter Ego.

Russ Lee is a ball magnet and very quick. His disposal is shocking and he has no right foot, but will still play well on the wide open grounds of the GV..

Marcus Dean never actually played a knights game. He was in there development squads and that is it. But can be handy.

Craig Whelan is not a gun, but handy nonetheless. He has a good pair of hands and a good kick, but lack pace.

they will be handy players in GV without being superstars..

Can anyone give any info on the shep bears.... heard that warby has ruffled a few feathers in trying to clean up a few bad issues that a few boys havn't liked.... i think we may see a few more names depart in comming months. The signing of Wells as a thirds coach is a joke - sure the bloke can play but he is a "look at me" type of player not the most popular sort of role model. I think he has a fair job to clean up the image of the thirds....have heard a few bad bad stories over the off season. And lets put it this way its not what you want to hear comming form a club...And this come from a player that walked out half way thru the year in discust!
The only bright thing about the bears at the moment is the appointment of Terrence Toohey as twos coach... maybe he should have been apointed as the head role!! He has a hell of alot of respect in country footy!

Can someone please post the article in today's Shepp News about Kyabram. Cheers.

Friday, 23rd November 2007

Newman back at Bombers By Richard Goodbody

Kyabram best and fairest winner David Newman will return to the fold next year after putting pen to paper with the Bombers.
The gun on-baller, who won the club's highest individual accolade in 2001, will be joined at the Bombers' hangar by Rushworth premiership coach Scott Hanson and Nathalia young gun Ian Fulton.
While Hanson's football exploits are well documented, including more than 100 games under David Williams at Rochester, Fulton has spent most of his career flying under the radar.
After helping Nathalia to the 2004 flag, the versatile ruckman was the hard luck story of this year's premiership outfit after he was dropped from the side following the Purples' semifinal victory against Mulwala.
"We're pretty happy with who we've picked up at this stage," Kyabram president Peter Croxford said.
"With Josh Finn having recently left, Dave (Newman) fills his role perfectly.
"He'll spend some time on the ball and on a halfforward flank . . . while Scott (Hanson) will have a leadership role.
"Micka Fulton is a good young ruckman who can also play at full-back, so he's pretty versatile.
"We're still talking to a couple of recruits from Melbourne and we're pretty confident that they are going to play with us, but we haven't got them across the line yet, so I'll hold off from announcing them."
Kyabram will begin its pre-season campaign under Williams at 6 pm on Monday night and all current and prospective players are welcome.

Cheers mate.

Looks like Ky are getting a good early start. It will be interesting to see how Scotty goes back at GV level. I'm sure he will still be able to compete.

BTW, Rushy look in a bit of trouble. Scotty, Tavis and Steve have now left, as well as a few others from what I've heard.

Any news on Ky's "switch on the lights" night with G Lyon & C Connolly?
Know a couple of old ex Ky boys who were invited but couldn't make it due to work commitments.

Will Kyabram be running a preseason comp to show off their new lights?

well done to Echucas Eljay Connors who was drafted at pick 70 to the saints today.. good luck to him!

Is it correct he is the only player from G.V to get drafted??? Loose if so.

Here's the ones that missed from the GV region:

Jake Anderson
Michael Barlow
Ben Clifton
Zane Coventry
Matt Deledio
Tim Dickson
Ryan Edwards
Mitchell Keddell
Matt Kelly
Jason Limbrick
Tim Looby
James Martinello
Casey Nance
Ryan Normington
Gareth Oughton
Tom Rockcliff
Sam Rowe
Saad Saad
Shane Sali
Michael Stevens
Rex Taylor
Robert Tuohey
Josh Walker
Ash Watson

* Note that players are kept on the list for 3 years.

I thought Normington would've gotten drafted. A strong rookie list candidate however.

Here's the ones that missed from the GV region:

Jake Anderson
Michael Barlow
Ben Clifton
Zane Coventry
Matt Deledio
Tim Dickson
Ryan Edwards
Mitchell Keddell
Matt Kelly
Jason Limbrick
Tim Looby
James Martinello
Casey Nance
Ryan Normington
Gareth Oughton
Tom Rockcliff
Sam Rowe
Saad Saad
Shane Sali
Michael Stevens
Rex Taylor
Robert Tuohey
Josh Walker
Ash Watson

* Note that players are kept on the list for 3 years.

I thought Normington would've gotten drafted. A strong rookie list candidate however.

could add ash hockey to that list, he was also very stiff

Did i read correctly in that i saw Shane Sali,s name on that list of GV players that missed out on the draft??? Your bloody kiddin me arent ya?? I,d say that his first preference would be to get a regular GVFL game first wouldnt it?? oh wel it gave me a good laugh for a boring sundy night anyway!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did i read correctly in that i saw Shane Sali,s name on that list of GV players that missed out on the draft??? Your bloody kiddin me arent ya?? I,d say that his first preference would be to get a regular GVFL game first wouldnt it?? oh wel it gave me a good laugh for a boring sundy night anyway!

Who does he play for?

Yours is an interesting appraisal of all to Alter Ego.

Russ Lee is a ball magnet and very quick. His disposal is shocking and he has no right foot, but will still play well on the wide open grounds of the GV..

Marcus Dean never actually played a knights game. He was in there development squads and that is it. But can be handy.

Craig Whelan is not a gun, but handy nonetheless. He has a good pair of hands and a good kick, but lack pace.

they will be handy players in GV without being superstars..
My last will and testament on the matter then I am going into Xmas recess.
My point is Mooroopna is getting proven senior (multi premiership) players from a strong league (noted for its physicality).
They must have parted with more than box tops to prise them out of Heidelberg.

Bit of news out of Rochy:

Ben Anderson and Heath Aitken are leaving. Ben is going overseas and Heath is staying in Melbourne as he just got a teaching job there. He will probably play at Blackburn with Jeremy Campbell and Tim Rasmussen.

Steve Rasmussen is coming back from Rushworth and Chris McCarty is coming back from overseas next year, so he might be a chance.

The club has spoken to a few ex-Pioneers players from the last few seasons, and hope to sign up a couple.

They are also contacting players from minor leagues from around the district, such as Lockington, Elmore and Colbinabbin.

Ex pios would be Sammy O'Brien and Blair holmes who'll be playing there when they're not playing for Bgo Bombers.

Rob Tuohey, Jordan Florence heading to ACT with Chris Rourke maybe Brodie Monty as well

Ex pios would be Sammy O'Brien and Blair holmes who'll be playing there when they're not playing for Bgo Bombers.

Rob Tuohey, Jordan Florence heading to ACT with Chris Rourke maybe Brodie Monty as well

was talking to sam the other week and he has not yet signed at rochy. but has confirmed is discussion with them. not saying that he hasnt signed in the mean time. but he told me he not doing bombers at all. i guess it will be a question of who will be there and well obviously how much money he can get!1

sam's mate dan anderson heard he was thinking of heading up to rochy as well,

Have been hearing that the Shepp Bears will struggle big time this year with departures including: J. O'Brien, Brent & Luke Chapman, A. Mellington, A. Taylor, D. Shadbolt, S. Dickinson, T. Saunders, B. Jaques with others such as Nick Allen, G. Joyce etc rumoured to be heading elsewhere it is fair to say the Bears are in trouble or are they recruiting well??

Jake Cowman to Mooroopana, anyone heard this, signed other nite?

something must of happened for him not to return to united, or it coulda been just this $$$

Marshall returns to Magpies fold
By Richard Goodbody
Former Euroa onballer Craig Marshall will return to the Magpies' nest next year after agreeing to relocate from Darwin.
The close-checking tagger, who has been in blistering form for Wanderers during the past month which includes two best afield performances, is currently playing in the Northern Territory Football League, but will return to the Goulburn Valley next year.
With Mark Clayton having signalled his intentions to leave recently, Marshall will be a welcome addition to the Magpies' midfield, which will once again be spearheaded by colossal ruckman Damon Clarke and former North Melbourne on-baller Shane Clayton.
"We've picked up Craig which is good," Euroa coach David Putamorsi said.
"He's been playing up in Darwin for the last couple of seasons, but he's going to come back.
"We've got a couple of others in the pipeline, but we're pretty happy with the way things are going so far.
"We've had some good numbers on the track and all of the Melbourne boys are going to come up for a run on Sunday, which will be good as well."
Meanwhile, Girgarre's Adrian Corrie has been in scintillating form for Nightcliffe in the NTFL, while Tongala's Michael Roberts has been in similar touch for Southern Districts.
During last week's 83-point victory against Palmerston, Roberts booted five goals in a best afield display, a fortnight after kicking four against Corrie's outfit.
As the ladder currently stands, St Mary's (6-1) is on top, with Southern Districts (5-2) third, Nightcliffe (3-4) fifth and Wanderers (0-7) eighth.

Tigers are now Cats
By Richard Goodbody
Mooroopna has pounced on three members of Heidelberg's premiership side by signing the highlysought trio for next season.
In a major coup, Marcus Dean, Russell Lee and Craig Wheelan have put pen to paper with the Cats, just two months after leading the Tigers to a historic Northern Football League Grand Final win.
Replacing the now defunct Diamond Valley league, the NFL is widely considered to be among Melbourne's toughest competitions, with Seymour's Saad Saad, century forward Balraj Singh and former Shepparton Swans spearhead Damien Yze having plied their trade in the association at one time or another.
"(The NFL) seems to stack up pretty well when it comes to drawing players from there," Mooroopna coach Brad Campbell said.
"I went down and had a look at a couple of games last year and I think they'll be good players for us.
"Dean can play key position, while Lee is an onballer, who has pretty big raps on him.
"He'll probably get you 25 to 30 touches per week . . . and Craig Wheelan we'll play through the midfield or off a flank."

After winning the 2006 premiership, the Tigers went back-to-back last year, while going undefeated in the process.
Lee, who won the club's best and fairest in 2003, played a pivotal role in this year's flag, starring for the Tigers during the opening term.
While happy with the club's early signings, the Cats continue to talk to a number of potential recruits, with a quality ruckman at the top of their wish list.
The Cats began their pre-season campaign with a first-up training run in Mooroopna last night.

Tigers on prowl to capture Bombers
By Richard Goodbody
Rochester coach Daniel Schmidt is hoping to tap into his former club's resources by signing three Bendigo Bombers for next season.
The gun on-baller, who took control of the Tigers for the first time last night, has been in ongoing discussions with young guns Sam O'Brien, Daniel Anderson and Ben Duscher.
While Schmidt was remaining tight-lipped about the trio's future yesterday, he did confirm 1999 premiership player Steve Rasmussen was among the faces who attended Friday night's information session at Rochester.
"We're hopeful of getting the Bendigo boys," Schmidt said.
"But you never know.
"We had a good turn up (on Friday) . . . there was probably 40 or so people there and I just explained to them what I expected this year.
"We'll train twice a week in the lead up to Christmas and the boys will do a compulsory third session by themselves on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
"We were happy with the turn out last week and it was good to see Steve there."
After seven years with Rochester, Rasmussen joined Rushworth at the start of 2005, playing the past three seasons with the Kyabram District Football League club.
While the 28-year-old will add some additional grunt to the Tigers' line up, O'Brien, Anderson and Duscher could provide the sparkle.
Meanwhile, Mansfield's hopes of luring premiership forward Danny Walker back to the fold have received an untimely setback.
Despite winning the club's goal-kicking award in 2006, Walker spent last season playing with Broadview in the Torontobased Ontario Australian Football League.
While the Eagles had hoped the versatile big man would return to their ranks, he recently accepted a position as the OAFL's marketing and development officer.
Walker's role involves promoting AFL in Canada and North America.

Newman back at Bombers
By Richard Goodbody
Kyabram best and fairest winner David Newman will return to the fold next year after putting pen to paper with the Bombers.
The gun on-baller, who won the club's highest individual accolade in 2001, will be joined at the Bombers' hangar by Rushworth premiership coach Scott Hanson and Nathalia young gun Ian Fulton.
While Hanson's football exploits are well documented, including more than 100 games under David Williams at Rochester, Fulton has spent most of his career flying under the radar.
After helping Nathalia to the 2004 flag, the versatile ruckman was the hard luck story of this year's premiership outfit after he was dropped from the side following the Purples' semifinal victory against Mulwala.
"We're pretty happy with who we've picked up at this stage," Kyabram president Peter Croxford said.
"With Josh Finn having recently left, Dave (Newman) fills his role perfectly.
"He'll spend some time on the ball and on a halfforward flank . . . while Scott (Hanson) will have a leadership role.
"Micka Fulton is a good young ruckman who can also play at full-back, so he's pretty versatile.
"We're still talking to a couple of recruits from Melbourne and we're pretty confident that they are going to play with us, but we haven't got them across the line yet, so I'll hold off from announcing them."
Kyabram will begin its pre-season campaign under Williams at 6 pm on Monday night and all current and prospective players are welcome.

Looby changes feathers
By Richard Goodbody
Shepparton Swans defender Tim Looby will attempt to reignite his playing career in South Australia next year after signing with Port Adelaide Magpies.
Earlier this week, the Magpies flew Looby to Alberton Oval for a preseason training run before enticing the 20-year-old to put pen to paper.
Looby's departure from Princess Park ends a whirlwind 12 months for the leftfooter, who created a storm this year, on and off the park.
After initially agreeing to play with Port Melbourne, Looby eventually signed with the Magpies before returning to the Goulburn Valley to line-up with the Swans.
However, the former AFL draftee unknowingly became embroiled in a lengthy contract dispute, which eventually cost the Swans four premiership points and $1000.
Despite the off-field controversy, Looby repaid the club's faith in him with some scintillating performances in the back half.
Lining up on some of the Goulburn Valley Football League's most explosive forwards, Looby's hard-nosed performances led the Swans to a grand final showdown with Seymour, but they were unable to end their 37-year premiership drought.
"I've decided to have another crack with Port Adelaide," Looby said yesterday.
"I spoke to (Swans president) Robin Knaggs and let him know that I was going back over to South Australia and, while he was disappointed, he understood where I was coming from.
"I'm just trying to play the best footy I can."
While Looby is automatically entered in Sunday's National Draft, the former Murray Bushranger is refusing to think about a return to AFL ranks.
"Going to Port Adelaide has nothing to do with trying to play in the AFL again," he said.
"I just think I should have another crack at trying to play at the highest level I can for the next couple of years and the Magpies are willing to give me a shot."
Looby will link up with the South Australian club in the next fortnight.

was talking to sam the other week and he has not yet signed at rochy. but has confirmed is discussion with them. not saying that he hasnt signed in the mean time. but he told me he not doing bombers at all. i guess it will be a question of who will be there and well obviously how much money he can get!1

O'Brien signed last week and will be a handy pick up for the tiges

sam's mate dan anderson heard he was thinking of heading up to rochy as well,

Not sure about Ando, did hear that Rochy wasnt gonna pay what he wanted. Could get good cash at his home club heathcote of go out LVFL and clean up

Yeh i also heard Cowman to Mooroopna. offer was more than Mulwala...... so that must be a fair bit... The cats must be having a spend up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad