Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Are the Lions a chance to retain the services of Ruckman Evan Murray this year? or will he be staying at the 'Ants?

what about the other new fella who has taken over Pappa's post at the deep fryer? how is he going??
I was told on the weekend by one of the lion's senior injured players,in answer to the very same question,that it is unlikely that Seymour will snare Mr.Murray away from the 'ants.

I believe the fella you inquired about HJ is Josh Meiselbach (not sure on spelling),about 6ft 3in in the old and very athletic with a big leap. He'll still be adjusting to the pace of G.V senior footy but when he does and it won't take long he will be more than handy as he would be one of those players who can play anywhere on the ground.

Anyone else confirm that sutherland from swans gor 8 weeks??

It's been confirmed in this mornings paper.

Swan given 8-week ban
May 2 2007
Shepparton News

Shepparton Swans ruckman Jarrod Sutherland will miss the next eight weeks after he was rubbed out by an independent Goulburn Valley Football League tribunal last night.

Sutherland pleaded guilty to striking Echuca defender John Halloran during their first round clash on Easter Saturday.

Halloran, sporting a noticeably blood-shot left eye, told the tribunal he expected to miss an additional five to six weeks as he recovered from a "blow-out fracture" to his eye, which is causing him to cough up blood.

Moments before entering the tribunal, Sutherland personally apologised to Halloran for his actions and showed further remorse during the hearing.

"It was inexcusable," Sutherland told the tribunal.

"I wish it hadn't happened."

Swans advocate, high-profile AFL counsel Iain Findlay said, while Sutherland's actions could not be condoned, he had not seen a more remorseful player and requested a three to four-week suspension given the highlydecorated credits to Sutherland's name.

The three-member panel saw differently, slapping Sutherland with the two-month ban.

A shattered Sutherland said after the hearing a prior conviction probably cost him.

"For sure (I'm disappointed)," Sutherland said.

"I hit the guy, so I deserved three or four."

The Swans were last night considering an appeal to the Victorian Country Football League.

"We are very disappointed," Swans president Robin Knaggs said.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks about retiring from the game.

"We'll work through (the onfield loss), but a player of his calibre is obviously going to be missed and leaves a big hole."

Echuca president Leo Welch said the club was pleased with the outcome.

"I think the result is reflective of his actions," Welch said.

Sutherland was called before the tribunal after the Murray Bombers requested an investigation into the behind-the-play incident last month.

Investigating officer Norm Gillespie deemed there was a case to be answered and presented five witness statements to support his claim during the hour-long hearing

Bluey is working in the mines nesko.... Montague is clearly the 'town drunk'

Hey wait a minute, I think we both may be wrong....Isnt Steve Pappin back in "Majorville" these days? remember the good old days at united cricket trainings when he'd have his half dozen of real McCoys before he went in for a hit.

Sorry to interupt the thread.... Just thought I would let everyone know (as quite a few people showed a lot of concern).... that United Key defender Chris Schirmer has been out of hospital for a few weeks. Gets around now on both legs now and is coming along in leaps and bounds. Although still a very long way off hitting the track its still bad news for all those GV Centre Half/Full Forwards out there.:thumbsu: :) :D

feel sorry for the bloke and his devastating injury but go easy onthe bad news for all half forwards and full forwards because he wasn't a back man arse hole , dont rate him :thumbsdown:

So clearly he was named in the interleague squad just because of his name! Pretty S h i t when there is a bloke or a few blokes in good form missing out!

thats the Gv for u though , no one cares about the interleague these days anyway true?:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looby dispute

By Rob Harris
May 3 2007
Shepparton News

Tim Looby and the Shepparton Swans have unknowingly become involved in a contractual dispute which could strip the club of four premiership points and the percentage scores accumulated in its past two Goulburn Valley Football League matches.

The circumstances surrounding Looby's clearance from SANFL club Port Adelaide to the Swans in March will be investigated by a Victorian Country Football League area appeals board within the next week, after claims from Port Melbourne that the 20-year-old was still a contracted player with the VFL club.

The VCFL and Port Melbourne claim Looby was illegally registered by Port Adelaide - where he was then cleared to the Swans while still allegedly being a VFL listed player.

Port Melbourne was yesterday in the process of ending the contract dispute.

Under current guidelines, VCFL and AFL Victoria believe Looby would have been an ineligible player during his three matches for the Swans this season.

"As far as we were aware he had been cleared from Port Adelaide and we were informed he was right to play," Swans assistant secretary Geoff Cobbledick said.

"We were informed by the Goulburn Valley Football League afterwards that there was an issue with Port Melbourne and the club and Tim both made contact with them and we were of the opinion it had been sorted out.

"It has sprung up again on Monday and now we're in the situation where we think Tim has come to an arrangement with them.

"There's been no wrong doing from our point of view and I think the paperwork supports that."

League general manager Eric Bott said he would support the Swans wholeheartedly in the dispute and claimed the correct procedures had been followed.

Bott said he was in possession of paperwork containing Looby's registration and contract from the VFL and a clearance from Port Magpies to the Swans, which was submitted through AFL Victoria.

"To my mind everything the Swans have done is to the letter of the law and the contractual dispute is a civil matter and should not affect the club," Bott said.

"But the VCFL and the VFL seem to think otherwise and I can't see how the Swans could have possibly done anything different.

"I'm disappointed with the VCFL for not supporting one of its members."

Port Melbourne general manager Barry Kydd yesterday confirmed the club was currently in negotiations with Looby and expected to release him from his contract within the next 24 hours.

"Our beef isn't with the Shepparton Swans," Kydd said.

"But Tim Looby was still a Port Melbourne player and he was not released to anyone."

Regardless of Looby's contractual agreements, the VCFL confirmed it would still seek further information on whether he was eligible to play in the Swans' past two matches after the clearance wrangle first came to light.

Bott said Looby would be eligible to play for the Swans this weekend without any further penalty.

SWANS
B: Barton, Veale, B. Ryan
HB: S. Ryan, Looby, May
C: Hare, Bell, McCarty
HF: Yze, White, Baker
F: Uebergang, Dundovic, Rachele
Foll: Wilson, Warburton, Montgomery
Inter: Byrt, Hackett, Lanyon
Emerg: Trickey, Henry, Sali
In: Lanyon
Out: Sutherland