Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

I would think Ky would be mad to take Williams over Bowden!!
Will cost the club more $$ but if they want to be competitive and attract players they will need more than David Williams.

cellar dweller said:
Originally Posted by cellar dweller
Williams would probably be the best coach going around country football, so why wouldnt any players follow him?
We all know how much he can get out of a club with limited talent!!
Where ever he goes success wont be far around the corner.
IMO I would think quite a few players would make a move with him and the ones that dont would have rocks in their heads.

You are jumping ship very quickly after making these comments a few weeks back. Sounds like you just get on the favourite and hope

Must have been "cellar smeller", not "cellar dweller"...

But a playing coach one year off an AFL list who brings players with him has got to be pretty enticing for Ky.

Maybe Dirty can get a job downtown and make the decision easier.

Whisper going around Deakin yesterday is that Jeremy Obrien will be departing Shepparton as well and heading to the O&M.

Congratulations to the Lions boys again. Another win. 5 new premiership players too.

Well done to Robbie Inness has quite obviously decided that he was going to wait until he won a senior flag to become an alcoholic. Currently wasted at the Term...good on-ya berty.

Fitzy gave a pretty good speach at the presentations last night. Urging the Lions faithful to go hard at number 4, as only a couple have done it.

So here's hoping..

Also, did anyone win any coin with that Darwin Betting agency??

Congratulations to the Lions boys again. Another win. 5 new premiership players too.

Well done to Robbie Inness has quite obviously decided that he was going to wait until he won a senior flag to become an alcoholic. Currently wasted at the Term...good on-ya berty.

Fitzy gave a pretty good speach at the presentations last night. Urging the Lions faithful to go hard at number 4, as only a couple have done it.

So here's hoping..

Lost my money.
I bet on the Donkey weeks ago!!
Guess the new BM will have to wait.
Any retirments announced??
I wouldnt mind a GV premiership and it seems get a game there and youl get 1!!

So here's hoping..

Yes Robbie is finally having a drink. I got a voice message off him and Bernie Haberman at 12.30am this morning. Was quite funny listening to the 2. Thanks for the mention in the weekender to Robbie. He played quite well on Dundovic keeping him to 2 goals and getting a bit of the ball.

Well done to them, a great effort to win 3 in a row.

I thought they had it in the bag at quarter time after Swans wasted their chance with the wind. Also Swans disposals and decision making was woeful I couldnt believe that they would chip it around and kick wide going with the wind. Cost them dearly. Seymour smashed the Swans at stoppages and wanted the ball alot more when it counted which in turn won them the game.

The crowd wasnt has big as previous 2 years and didnt seem much atmosphere at the game.

FWIW all the winning teams on the day had the wind in the last quarter.

Teams just didn't settle into the conditions in the first quarter and by late in all the games, the winning teams knew what to do with it in the last quarter. Rochy magoos just didn't kick straight with the wind in the third quarter.

Long and straight down the corridor, simple really.

Thought the parade and the helicopter were great.

Good effort by Seymour thirds to win from 5th place.

FWIW all the winning teams on the day had the wind in the last quarter.

Teams just didn't settle into the conditions in the first quarter and by late in all the games, the winning teams knew what to do with it in the last quarter. Rochy magoos just didn't kick straight with the wind in the third quarter.

Long and straight down the corridor, simple really.

Thought the parade and the helicopter were great.

Good effort by Seymour thirds to win from 5th place.

Yeah certainly a hard one, the decision to kick with it in the 1st 1/4 or not. Was asked at the game before the seniors what would be my preference, unlike a home and away game were I think you always go with the wind in the 1st if given the opportunity, I would go against it and really try to bottle the contest up.
With the pressure of the occasion weighing on each players shoulder the 1st 1/4 can really be a scramble and you can lose the 1st 15mins just trying to settle, as you say every side that won the toss went with the wind and none of them won, all were in front at 1/4 time but didnt make the most of the wind with Swans kicking 3 goals, Rochy 2 and Echuca 3.
What are other peoples thoughts, maybe it was just a coincidence and the better sides just lost the toss.

You little bloody ripper, Seymour lions three in a row:thumbsu: and the young cubs taking out their first flag :thumbsu:.A couple of special mentions, firstly to Euroa for CHOKING in the last 10 minutes of '05 and starting the ball rolling :p and for those BF members React,Morphus and so on who confidently jumped on the Swans bandwagon, i'd be asking for my money back !!:D

You little bloody ripper, Seymour lions three in a row:thumbsu: and the young cubs taking out their first flag :thumbsu:.A couple of special mentions, firstly to Euroa for CHOKING in the last 10 minutes of '05 and starting the ball rolling :p and for those BF members React,Morphus and so on who confidently jumped on the Swans bandwagon, i'd be asking for my money back !!:D

Very gracious.

haha fair enough! go the lions!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can anyone tell me the official gate and takings for the granny, cheers:thumbsu:

Showcase a success
Tuesday, 2nd October 2007

Showcase a success A first-time clash with the Bendigo Football League Grand Final and weather were the likely reasons behind a smaller gate figure at Sunday's Goulburn Valley Football League showcase event, general manager Eric Bott said yesterday.

A gate of $60 080 and an estimated crowd of 9000 people attended the clash between Seymour and the Shepparton Swans, down on last year's record figure of $65 573. The Bendigo league decider between Eaglehawk and Gisborne - pushed back because of the drought-delayed start to its season - attracted a gate of $44 000.

"I think all in all it was a tremendous day and certainly the pre-match entertainment and the Morrison medallist parade was very popular," Bott said.
"To have Chris Connolly fly in in a helicopter was fantastic too and I think the whole day was quite a success.

"The drawbacks were obviously there was only four football teams represented and I think seven clubs all up when you include the netball."
Morning rain in Melbourne could have also affected the attendance, while strong winds may also have been a turn-off, Bott said.

However, the match still secured the second-highest monetary gate in the competition's history, while last week's preliminary final between the Swans and Shepparton United was a record with $17 727.

The semi-finals between United and Mansfield ($13 156) and Seymour and the Swans ($15 234) were also record monetary gates.
"I think all in all our finals series was fantastic and we had some terrific crowds," Bott said.
"When you judge that a hundred might have gone to Bendigo instead, a hundred stay in Melbourne and perhaps a hundred stay away because of the weather, then we're not far behind the mark of last year."

Good crowd.

AFL Queensland had about 2000 to their grand final between Mt Gravatt and Southport a few weeks ago at Carrara (and the AFL want more games up there... my god).

Good crowd.

AFL Queensland had about 2000 to their grand final between Mt Gravatt and Southport a few weeks ago at Carrara (and the AFL want more games up there... my god).
Sorry bud but you will have to spell this one out for me. What are you trying to say here? Your mate rowey may get you but I may be a bit too slow.

Sorry bud but you will have to spell this one out for me. What are you trying to say here? Your mate rowey may get you but I may be a bit too slow.

It wasn't really for this board, but just my 2 cents on how the AFL want to push my club (North Melbourne) to play more games or even relocate to the Gold Coast, while they get bugger all people to Aussie rules games up there.

Back to the GVFL talk...

Showcase a success
Tuesday, 2nd October 2007

Showcase a success A first-time clash with the Bendigo Football League Grand Final and weather were the likely reasons behind a smaller gate figure at Sunday's Goulburn Valley Football League showcase event, general manager Eric Bott said yesterday.

A gate of $60 080 and an estimated crowd of 9000 people attended the clash between Seymour and the Shepparton Swans, down on last year's record figure of $65 573. The Bendigo league decider between Eaglehawk and Gisborne - pushed back because of the drought-delayed start to its season - attracted a gate of $44 000.

"I think all in all it was a tremendous day and certainly the pre-match entertainment and the Morrison medallist parade was very popular," Bott said.
"To have Chris Connolly fly in in a helicopter was fantastic too and I think the whole day was quite a success.

"The drawbacks were obviously there was only four football teams represented and I think seven clubs all up when you include the netball."
Morning rain in Melbourne could have also affected the attendance, while strong winds may also have been a turn-off, Bott said.

However, the match still secured the second-highest monetary gate in the competition's history, while last week's preliminary final between the Swans and Shepparton United was a record with $17 727.

The semi-finals between United and Mansfield ($13 156) and Seymour and the Swans ($15 234) were also record monetary gates.
"I think all in all our finals series was fantastic and we had some terrific crowds," Bott said.
"When you judge that a hundred might have gone to Bendigo instead, a hundred stay in Melbourne and perhaps a hundred stay away because of the weather, then we're not far behind the mark of last year."

When the entry is $15 a pop no wonder they had a big gate taking. I thought I was walking to the MCG when I saw the prices....

It wasn't really for this board, but just my 2 cents on how the AFL want to push my club (North Melbourne) to play more games or even relocate to the Gold Coast, while they get bugger all people to Aussie rules games up there.

Back to the GVFL talk...

Yeah keep it to GVFL or piss off MBP - Although if they are getting 2000 to the GF all the north fans could get a ticket next year.. ;)

Yeah certainly a hard one, the decision to kick with it in the 1st 1/4 or not. Was asked at the game before the seniors what would be my preference, unlike a home and away game were I think you always go with the wind in the 1st if given the opportunity, I would go against it and really try to bottle the contest up.
With the pressure of the occasion weighing on each players shoulder the 1st 1/4 can really be a scramble and you can lose the 1st 15mins just trying to settle, as you say every side that won the toss went with the wind and none of them won, all were in front at 1/4 time but didnt make the most of the wind with Swans kicking 3 goals, Rochy 2 and Echuca 3.
What are other peoples thoughts, maybe it was just a coincidence and the better sides just lost the toss.

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence.
I was one who thought this theory had credence until I saw what happened to the Seymour 3rds in 1994. They kicked into a howling wind in the first quarter only to see it start raining at quarter time at which point the game was as good as over.
Always kick with the wind if you win the toss - this is Victoria and a lot can happen in two hours.

Always kick with the wind if you win the toss - this is Victoria and a lot can happen in two hours.

Agree 100% Grandale. It's a strategy fraught with danger, kicking against the wind in the belief that it'll be as strong 3 quarters down the track.

I think Yarrawonga blew Myrtleford away in the first quarter in last years GF in the O&M with the help of a very strong breeze and Myrtleford couldn't get back after that. Scoreboard pressure is very important.

Hank1's made a good point earlier though. Even though Seymour were trailing at quarter time I thought they played the better opening term on Sunday and looked very dangerous which was a top effort against the wind and probably had the Swans on the back foot from then on.

Back To Back To Back, Back To Back To Back, Back To Back To Back To Back To Back Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad