Suspended
Sep 17, 2003
Planet Zorg
Other Teams
Carlton
From: http://www.aflua.com.au/Documents/AFL-Laws-Current.pdf

10.4 BRINGING PLAY TO AN END

10.4.1 End of Quarter
The Timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter until a field Umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end.

10.4.2 Siren Heard by Field Umpire
Play in each quarter shall come to an end when any one of the field Umpires hears the siren.

10.4.3 Signal
A field Umpire shall signal that he or she has heard the siren by blowing a whistle and holding both arms above his or her head. If immediately before hearing the siren, a field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player should be awarded a Free Kick or a Mark, the field Umpire shall signal that play has come to an end and then award the Free Kick or Mark to the Player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunaltely does not look like there is anything Freo can do about this debacle.

The AFL have the power to overturn the decision, the Laws of the Game give alot of power to the Controlling body. The game result should be overturned.

fearlessone77 said:
Unfortunaltely does not look like there is anything Freo can do about this debacle.

How did you reach this conclusion?

"10.4.1 End of Quarter
The Timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter until a field Umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end."

This did not happen. Freo have every right to contest it, and although i hold serious doubts that they will ever see the points, they have every right to them.

• Banned
Fire said:
How did you reach this conclusion?

"10.4.1 End of Quarter
The Timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter until a field Umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end."

This did not happen. Freo have every right to contest it, and although i hold serious doubts that they will ever see the points, they have every right to them.

See my other post.

Shouldn't the game still be going then? How could the umpires have heard the siren at all if they missed it the only time it was blown?

The draw will stand and we (Freo) can blame ourselves, but that doesn't make the situation any less ridiculous from an AFL point of view.

Not sooooo quick people the afl HAVE AGREED to review the decision after freo lodged a formal protest .....

I think the AFL will do the right thing here and award the 4 points to freo :thumbsu:

Spook said:
NO NO NO....the Timekeeper stuffed up. They need to blow the siren until the umpires hears it........they didn't do that

Blame the siren or the timekeepers but the fact is that the umpires didn't hear it and acted correctly.
It would be a huge precedent to change the score due to a timekeepers mistake. There are many times that timekeepers get it wrong, whose to say that there was arguably 30 seconds left and the timekeepers blew the siren early? As I say, it would be a nasty precedent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donkey said:
Shouldn't the game still be going then? How could the umpires have heard the siren at all if they missed it the only time it was blown?

The draw will stand and we (Freo) can blame ourselves, but that doesn't make the situation any less ridiculous from an AFL point of view.

Donkey, I know you are frustrated mate, you have every right to be but dont have a go at all Eagles fans.

It is pretty obvious to me you guys were robbed and deserve the points. From the posts I have read a fair few Eagles fans agree. I would be mighty :D:D:D:Ded off if we were shafted in the same way.

Frodo said:
Blame the siren or the timekeepers but the fact is that the umpires didn't hear it and acted correctly.
It would be a huge precedent to change the score due to a timekeepers mistake. There are many times that timekeepers get it wrong, whose to say that there was arguably 30 seconds left and the timekeepers blew the siren early? As I say, it would be a nasty precedent.

Have to agree with this. The umpires acted correctly according to the rules.

fearlessone77 said:

10.4.1 End of Quarter
The Timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter until a field Umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end.

Play in each quarter shall come to an end when any one of the field Umpires hears the siren.

10.4.3 Signal
A field Umpire shall signal that he or she has heard the siren by blowing a whistle and holding both arms above his or her head. If immediately before hearing the siren, a field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player should be awarded a Free Kick or a Mark, the field Umpire shall signal that play has come to an end and then award the Free Kick or Mark to the Player.

did that ever happen? or did the umpires signal end of game without hearing the siren?

Frodo said:

Frodo, the rule states that the unpires sound the siren UNTIL the umpires hear it.....that measn they hold their finger on the button.... not blow it once and leave it

I do some time keeping and instruct others at my local amateur club ( I am the VP) that you hold your finger on the button until the umpire puts both hands in the air......

The rule states it clear as day......

"10.4.1 End of Quarter

fearlessone77 said:

10.4.1 End of Quarter
The Timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter UNTIL a field Umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end.

10.4.3 Signal

This is the area of contention and would be the basis for the appeal. If there is a review I reckon the Dockers will be successful.

One thing we do know, those timekeepers are sacked and new siren for York park. Perhaps we should bring back the cow bells!

kirky said:
fearlessone77 said:

10.4.1 End of Quarter
The Timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter UNTIL a field Umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end.

10.4.3 Signal

This is the area of contention and would be the basis for the appeal. If there is a review I reckon the Dockers will be successful.

One thing we do know, those timekeepers are sacked and new siren for York park. Perhaps we should bring back the cow bells!

'tis a wussy sounding siren at York park. At least they changed the dreadful 'air-raid' siren at Carrara after the NAB cup game. I've heard the siren go on for ages before in close games when the umpire has added deafness to his obvious blindness, so the timekeeper needs to be shot coz its his fault. Freo are jinxed at York Park. Destined never to win there.

So why was it that every Freo player around the ball heard the siren and the umpire didn't.
A hearing test for may be on the cards.

I haven't noticed any St Kilda people saying the result should stand, cause they know Freo were robbed!

Cameron Schwab: "We'll do whatever we have to do to get the four points"

he also added that there is no real relationship between the TAB and AFL, wouldn't read anything into it, and the result is far from confirmed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Ruling On End Of Time For AFL Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back