Official Ruling On End Of Time For AFL Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: This is the AFL's link to the Rules of the Game

Page 34 of the Pdf link

10.4 BRINGING PLAY TO AN END
10.4.1 End of Quarter
The Timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter until a field Umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end.
10.4.2 Siren Heard by Field Umpire
Play in each quarter shall come to an end when any one of the field Umpires hears the siren.
10.4.3 Signal
A field Umpire shall signal that he or she has heard the siren by blowing a whistle and holding both arms above his or her head. If immediately before hearing the siren, a field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player should be awarded a Free Kick or a Mark, the field Umpire shall signal that play has come to an end and then award the Free Kick or Mark to the Player.

Reason why Fremantle have a case for (the breakdown) the facts !

10.4.1 End of Quarter
The Timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter until a field Umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end.

The Timekeepers did not sound the siren continuously until the umpires heard the siren !

Play in each quarter shall come to an end when any one of the field Umpires hears the siren.

Those of you that saw the footage on the television would have seen 'one' of those umprires did hear a siren... and futhermore there is no mention of an overruling of this decision by a superior umpire... it clearly states 'any one of the field umpires' can call an end to the quarter... review the tape and check what the score was when this umpire deemed an end of the game.

10.4.3 Signal
A field Umpire shall signal that he or she has heard the siren by blowing a whistle and holding both arms above his or her head. If immediately before hearing the siren, a field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player should be awarded a Free Kick or a Mark, the field Umpire shall signal that play has come to an end and then award the Free Kick or Mark to the Player.

Review the Tape this did not happen... ! It was'nt done immediately it was done after conffering amongst the umpires in the confusion to try to save thier ass's for a major f**k up !!

Interestingly it says that 'play in each quarter shall come to an end when any one of the field umpires hears the siren'.

Based on this, techniquely the game was still alive, and this is what the AFL may hang their hat on if they decide not to overturn the decision.

Official Rules for End of Play- Section 10.4 of AFL Offical Laws

Hi all,

Thought i should share this with you being an umpire (goal) in the local league here in the ACT/NSW League i was given an afl 2006 Laws of the Game rule book and this is what it says....

Section 10.4 BRINGING PLAY TO AN END

10.4.1 Contradicts 10.4.2

10.4.1 States - The timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter until a field umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end

BUT

10.4.2 States Play in each quarter shall come to an end when any one field Umpires hears the siren

which hayden kennedy did, so technically the rule was missaplied...what i dont understand is why the AFL dont come out and just own up that they made a Blunder. their own rules were missaplied.

Re: Official Rules for End of Play- Section 10.4 of AFL Offical Laws

The game's up when the umpire raises his hands.

Harsh but the rules.

I hope they give it to freo (I tipped them and god knows I need the tip!!)

But they won't.

Crow2005 said:
10.4.1 End of Quarter

The Timekeepers did not sound the siren continuously until the umpires heard the siren !

Umpires make mistakes all the time. This is the can of worms that people are talking about, ie. if you start overturning match results on the basis of mistakes from officials.

kanabar said:
Hi all,

Thought i should share this with you being an umpire (goal) in the local league here in the ACT/NSW League i was given an afl 2006 Laws of the Game rule book and this is what it says....

10.4.1 States - The timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter until a field umpire acknowledges that the siren has been heard and brings play to an end

BUT

10.4.2 States Play in each quarter shall come to an end when any one field Umpires hears the siren

which hayden kennedy did, so technically the rule was missaplied...what i dont understand is why the AFL dont come out and just own up that they made a Blunder. their own rules were missaplied.
So will they then come out and uphold every single wrong umpiring decision made in every game of football?

Then how do they determine when the game ended. If they didn't hear the siren then why didn't they just continue the game for another 5 - 10 minutes?? Bul:D:D:D:D. The game ends when the siren goes, it's not soccer.

If the umpires didn't hear the siren then the game should still be going on right now. Why did it end after Baker kicked a point?

sp-mac said:
The game's up when the umpire raises his hands.

Harsh but the rules.

I hope they give it to freo (I tipped them and god knows I need the tip!!)

But they won't.

thats incorrect read what 10.4.2 says bro even if 1 umpire hears the siren game can be called over...

otis_david said:
Then how do they determine when the game ended. If they didn't hear the siren then why didn't they just continue the game for another 5 - 10 minutes?? Bul:D:D:D:D. The game ends when the siren goes, it's not soccer.

If the umpires didn't hear the siren then the game should still be going on right now. Why did it end after Baker kicked a point?

good question if no siren was heard then why was game stopped coz i didnt hear another siren....

no umpire heard the siren ever. the game is still being played. quick freo, get down there and kick a goal

if the game is ends when the umpires acknowledge the siren this means they can prolong a game til they get their desired result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kanabar said:
Hi all,

BUT

Exactly what is said in the other thread. The way i see it 3 people are at fault. But i feel least of whom are Mathew Nicholls, he din't hear the siren, not his fault.

Timekeeper is the one in the biggest juju as he should have held his little finger down like he was taught in all those years of timekeeper school.

Kennedy should of called it off as soon as he realised Nicholls had not heard the siren, then worried about running down and stopping the next play. whcih would hence be made void

sedders said:
no umpire heard the siren ever. the game is still being played. quick freo, get down there and kick a goal

Those of you that saw the footage on the television would have seen 'one' of those umprires did hear a siren... and futhermore there is no mention of an overruling of this decision by a superior umpire... it clearly states 'any one of the field umpires' can call an end to the quarter... review the tape and check what the score was when this umpire deemed an end of the game.

Yes... there most certainly was 'one' umpire that heard it because it was picked up on channel nines footage... the umpire admitted it when they were conffering about it, and since there is no overruling umpire it should have been game over.. Fremanle 94 St Kilda 93

This rule is never enforced anyway.

When someone takes a mark, for example, at the same time as the Siren sounds, the decision is based on whether he held the mark before the Siren has sounded, not before the umpire has raises his hands.

i just hope afl come out and do the right thing....their own official kennedy heard the siren.

Grimreepah said:
Interestingly it says that 'play in each quarter shall come to an end when any one of the field umpires hears the siren'.

Based on this, techniquely the game was still alive, and this is what the AFL may hang their hat on if they decide not to overturn the decision.

But it also says the time keeper must sound the siren untill an umpire hears it. Which means the time keeper stuffed up. But i also believe at least one of the umpires heard it and therefore the Dockers should have won.

Why did Baker get a second kick anyway. On the coverage it was for not being given the ball properly, but as cometti said, then is should have been 50.

Grimreepah said:
Umpires make mistakes all the time. This is the can of worms that people are talking about, ie. if you start overturning match results on the basis of mistakes from officials.

:thumbsu: My thoughts exactly.

Power21 said:
But it also says the time keeper must sound the siren untill an umpire hears it. Which means the time keeper stuffed up.

Does this mean you are saying that the decision should be overturned because the official made a mistake?

doctormeow said:
:thumbsu: My thoughts exactly.

It is still within a reasonable time frame ie: before round 6 in which to place a case to overule futhermore not every game generates such an uproar en mass as this one does !

The AFL are obligated to overturn it based on public furore and 'majority' and being the 'Controlling Body' have the Power to do that... simple review the tape and ammend the mistake... any other mistakes in history are null and void irrelivent to compare.

There is law and intent.

Clearly the controlling umpire is the only official that can end the game.

It is ridiculous to suggest that an umpire down the other end of the field can hear the siren and end the game. Just a matter of common sense.

This issue is about two major factors

1) The closeness of the game

2) The siren quality.

And okay 2) can be sorted out. 1) should have been sorted out by Freo not running down the clock for most of the last quarter, surrendering the initiative. how many mistakes did they make in the game? Yet they want to cry over one timekeeper mistake. And who says that if the siren had been continuous that the umpire would have heard it earlier and that the result would have changed. Fanciful thinking. Yes, freo were robbed, but we see teams being robbed only too regularly. This is no different.

Crow2005 said:
It is still within a reasonable time frame ie: before round 6 in which to place a case to overule futhermore not every game generates such an uproar en mass as this one does !

The AFL are obligated to overturn it based on public furore and 'majority' and being the 'Controlling Body' have the Power to do that... simple review the tape and ammend the mistake... any other mistakes in history are null and void irrelivent to compare.

stupid............you create precedent...and that is dangerous

Frodo said:
There is law and intent.

Clearly the controlling umpire is the only official that can end the game.

It is ridiculous to suggest that an umpire down the other end of the field can hear the siren and end the game. Just a matter of common sense.

This issue is about two major factors

1) The closeness of the game

2) The siren quality.

And okay 2) can be sorted out. 1) should have been sorted out by Freo not running down the clock for most of the last quarter, surrendering the initiative. how many mistakes did they make in the game? Yet they want to cry over one timekeeper mistake. And who says that if the siren had been continuous that the umpire would have heard it earlier and that the result would have changed. Fanciful thinking. Yes, freo were robbed, but we see teams being robbed only too regularly. This is no different.

You are so full of :D:D:D:D. This game was decided after official time was up.How often does that happen Fraudo? If it had happened to the Eagles (or any other team than Freo) you'd be up in arms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Ruling On End Of Time For AFL Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back