List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Scott Selwood moves to Geelong as free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

He's already past it, can't see him having much of an impact in games compared to the other mids, let alone help push the club towards another flag. Waste of money. Poor decision by Wells and the recruitment staff.

When I was 17, 12 years ago, I thought I knew everything. I actually knew bugger all.

Scooter gives us the inside player with tagging abilities that we severely lacked this year in the midfield. We're not asking him to be our best, second best, third best or even fourth best mid. When not trying to nullify a star he won't get a lot of attention from the opposition, freeing him up for clearances. We're setting him up for success.

Someone yesterday mentioned having him play across HF, There are far worse ideas than this. Can do rotations through the mid field like bartel, is a voracious tackler, would be a good place to bring him into our 22.

Boom recruits such as Miles, Maric, Houli you mean? Could be wrong but I reckon they go alright, don't you?

Maric! Said past couple of seasons (not 5 years ago)

Overall, he has been a good pick up but not quite as good as brad ottens. Thanks for him by the way

Miles was a great pick up yes I'll give you that! Hasn't been enough to win 1 final yet though

Just a bit of banter pal, all in good fun!
There's a difference between coming into an opposition board to banter and coming on being disrespectful with a troll.

Some people mightn't take too kindly to it.

'Banter away.'

It's alright mate, Richmond will have Treloar next year... Wait a minute. I mean Dangerfield..? No not him either. Umm Bennell? Nope not him either. JACOB TOWNSEND that's him!!
Dangerfield was always going to Geelong, every club enquired? We didn't want Bennell, so not a valid statement, Treloar was unfortunate, but clubs always miss out on players. You missed on Frawley last year, and he ended up playing in a premiership right?

James Kelly.
I just think you could've tried to invest in a better player than Selwood, but that's my opinion, apart from the b&f year at west coast, he hasn't particularly lit up the ground or had the impact that Kelly had in his prime, I'll be very surprised if he's a key player for you going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think you could've tried to invest in a better player than Selwood, but that's my opinion, apart from the b&f year at west coast, he hasn't particularly lit up the ground or had the impact that Kelly had in his prime, I'll be very surprised if he's a key player for you going forward.

Fair opinion. He's also been injury plagued the last couple of seasons. As I said, we're not asking him to be a world beater, and we're not giving him the spot of a youngster who was in our best 22. He's taking the spot of a retiree, just as Danger is taking Stevie's spot and Henderson will take Lonergan's spot (who will most likely retire at the end of the year). Stokes' spot will be taken by a youngster like Cockatoo. We're still getting a lot younger, and we're recruiting players with at least six years left in them. Plenty of time to develop our 2017 and 2018 draftees to take over from these boom recruits.

But we don't need him to be a superstar!! We got him for nothing - he's on solid $$ but not heaps.
He ticks two boxes that we need, being a tagger/defensive mid & also gets plenty of contested ball.

In helping in these areas, it frees up others like duncan, Guthrie, motlop, caddy

and we're not giving him the spot of a youngster who was in our best 22. He's taking the spot of a retiree

I think Horlin-Smith will be overlooked again no matter how Selwood is traveling in the senior team. So yes, Selwood is taking the spot of a younger player as was the case with Kelly/Stokes this year ahead of Jansen/Gore/Horlin-Smith.

Dangerfield was always going to Geelong, every club enquired? We didn't want Bennell, so not a valid statement, Treloar was unfortunate, but clubs always miss out on players. You missed on Frawley last year, and he ended up playing in a premiership right?
Blessing in disguise

I think WC did what we normally do.If the players wants to leave they help the player get to where,they want to go.In this case they helped Scooter bye not matching.
The system has holes in it IMHO.

Agreed, it definitely has holes - but then its not going to ever be perfect as every trade is completely different when you are talking about taking players with different skill sets from different teams with different needs.
I mean, we got SFA for a top player like Christensen last year, so it goes in swings and roundabouts.
West Coast will pick up a player from another team as a free agent & the other team will get nothing eventually.

But we don't need him to be a superstar!! We got him for nothing - he's on solid $$ but not heaps.
He ticks two boxes that we need, being a tagger/defensive mid & also gets plenty of contested ball.

In helping in these areas, it frees up others like duncan, Guthrie, motlop, caddy
Not many clubs have proper taggers now, other than Jacobs at North, there aren't many at all. You guys have J. Selwood, Duncan, Caddy, Guthrie, Motlop, Lang, Gregson, Blicavs, Murdoch all having the ability to play in the midfield, I can't see where S. Selwood slots in.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Scott Selwood moves to Geelong as free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back