Oficial: 3 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

i cant believe we've kept johns, he is truely shithouse.
Going to miss MJ

John's is contracted for another year.

Besides, he's only played 19 games; there are plenty of examples of players who played similarly after 19 games and became very good players. It's fairly common among the 'bigger' boys to start off slowly.

That said, 2008 will be his last year on the list unless he can show off his potential in the seniors. He needs to work on his fitness; he's never had a pre-season that included hard running. All the same, his form last pre-season was excellent. Seeing him in the Aborginal All-Stars game made me a believe that he has potential. It's a pity he didn't carry that form into the season proper.

know it has been said in other threads but the cupboard is starting to run bare for scapegoats!! I'm so f**king excited!!! I mean can we all start the slow clap for knighter already? except for Dyson I couldn't be happier. My top 5 "need to go" have gone.. we might actually have a chance of rebuilding!! only courtney johns and jj to go (and I know they are contracting so next year is fine) i should have quoted but someone on this thread mentioned the clubs (or sheedy) not being willing to admit they stuffed high draft picks (bolton, bradley etc) and that is the biggest positive. A draft pick is just a number...
go bombers!!

We wouldn't have used the pick that we were getting for Bradley in a thin draft, so we were giving him to Freo anyway. This way at least it is forcing Freo to use their PSD pick on him.

...or we just use the 56th pick that we offered you to take him in the draft.

Essendon delists three players

Monday, 15 October 2007
Essendon Football Club today announced three further delistings as it prepares for the upcoming NAB National Draft. Mark Johnson, Kepler Bradley and rookie Lachlan McKinnon have all been advised they will be delisted. Essendon coach Matthew Knights said these decisions are never easy, particularly in the case of 29-year-old Mark Johnson.

"Mark has been a great servant of the Essendon Football Club and we sincerely thank him for his contribution," Knights said.
"Not many players achieve what he has – a Premiership and a best and fairest and he should be very proud of that, particularly given he started his career on the rookie list.

"I spoke to Mark prior to trade week and told him we would try and find him a Club because I could not guarantee him a place in the side next year. At least now he has time to weigh up his options and nominate for the pre-season draft should he wish to continue playing."

Since Essendon gave Johnson the chance to join the Club as a rookie-listed player, he has played 194 games and made the most of his opportunity. He departs as a Premiership player (2000) and a Crichton Medallist (2002).
"It was a difficult decision but this Club can’t shy away from doing the things that it believes are in the best long-term interests of the Club," Knights said.

"Not all of these decisions will be popular but we have set a clear direction. We want to inject youth into the team next year and this means that a player such as Mark - who turns 30 in May - did not fit into our plans.

"Rather than have Mark playing for Bendigo and waiting for limited opportunities at senior level, we thought it much fairer to be honest with him and give him the chance to nominate for the pre-season draft."

Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson said the Club would explore ways to give fans the chance to thank Johnson for his service to the Club.
"He has been a very good player and got every ounce out of his ability. No matter what the future holds I hope he remembers his time at this Club with great affection. We thank him for everything he has given this Club," Jackson said.

"We will certainly be looking at how we can most appropriately thank him. Given the season is over and the Crichton Medal has been and gone we will need to see if we can do something next year provided Mark is comfortable with that."
Knights said the decision on Kepler Bradley and Lachlan McKinnon was made today following long discussion with list manager, Adrian Dodoro, last night.

"We would like to thank both players for their contribution to the Club and we wish them well in the future," he said.
Kepler Bradley played 49 games for Essendon after debuting in 2004. He was taken by Essendon with selection 6 at the 2003 National Draft.
Lachlan McKinnon had spent the past two years on the Essendon rookie list.

Essendon’s list changes post 2007 are:

Delistings:

James Hird (Retired)
Mark Bolton (Retired)
Chris Heffernan (Retired)
Scott Camporeale (Retired)
Mark Johnson (Delisted)
Kepler Bradley (Delisted)
Richard Cole (Delisted)
Lachlan McKinnon (Delisted)

Listings:

Adam Ramanauskas (Rookie List Upgrade)
Heath Hocking (Rookie List Upgrade)
Darcy Daniher (Father / Son Selection 39)

Draft Selections:

6, 23, 39 (Daniher), 55, 71

Does this mean one more player needs to be delisted in order to retain our pre-season draft pick... as McKinnon was a rookie?

Does this mean one more player needs to be delisted in order to retain our pre-season draft pick... as McKinnon was a rookie?

We de-listed 7 from the main list and upgraded 2 rookies, we will use 4 picks in the National draft including Daniher and 1 in the PSD

We wouldn't have used the pick that we were getting for Bradley in a thin draft, so we were giving him to Freo anyway. This way at least it is forcing Freo to use their PSD pick on him.

The deal "fell over" after Freo offered pick 40, after we refused pick 56. Why sack Bradley now, when pick 40 would have been very handy. The other question I raise is, what made the deal fall over ?

According the press after straight after trade week, Essendon had finally agreed to bow to Fremantle and offer Bradley and pick 55? for Fremantles pick 40, and it was Freo who still knocked that back.

We were NEVER going to get 40 for Bradley, it was simply an upgrade of our pick.

They played hard ball because they knew they would get him in the PSD.

Hardly worrying anyway - Knights coached him for the whole season pretty much, playing him as a forward and he won the B&F - Knights still didnt seem too interested in keeping him after that.

He can only bite us on the arse if he becomes better than Gumbleton and/or Neagle, or a better defender than Daniher or perhaps Ryder, because thats what we have looked too over Bradley. It aint gonna happen.

i don't think they offered pick 40 pretty sure we would have taken it otherwise. And is it possible for us to only use 4 picks in the draft and then not pick anyone in the PSD and go into 2008 with one short on the list?

I don't understand the Bradley situation.
Essendon and Fremantle were trying to do a trade for him, and it fell over before the 2pm deadline, and then Essendon delist him 3 days later. Why not just trade him to Fremantle and at least get something for him.

If they had of accpeted the deal for pick 40 their third rounder we would have taken it. In the end they didnt. If you dont use the pick then you get nothing anyway.

Ist round draft pick at Number 6

Played mainly out of position as KPP backman and out of the 40 odd games probably played 10 good ones.

Just 22 years old and ready to make an impact.

Played 1.5 games in his right position and looked good there and like he could command a spot

Won the goal kicking and b & F with bendigo this season.

Supposedly wanted to go home so we wanted a 1st round pick (which we were never going to get, where were the 8 clubs interested in him as stated on monday of trade week)

No trade done and delisted. How has a player gone from 1st round pick 4 years ago to potential 1st round trade to nothing, is this another case of bad management of a player. Unless he wanted to quit the club/resign the way he was delisted was a disgrace. We would have used pick 40 for him in the draft and people need to know the real story from an essendon person as to whose decision it was.

About MJ - About time, been struggling for a while, just spewing we couldnt get anything in the draft, curious to see if port goes after him in the PSD.

Pev - really lucky to survive

Thank MJ. While I wanted him gone, it is still sad to see a great Essendonian depart. I hope you get picked up in the pre-season draft and have a good few years before you retire.

Bradley going is disappointing but it looks like he wanted out. We can thank one K Sheedy for his years of screwing him up as to why he has left. I just hope we can pick up someone decnet in the PSD.

And finally as for those wanting Peverill gone, not sure how you justify delisting one of your better midfielders for the year.

If that were the case, plenty of favourites should have been given the @rse over there form this year.

Sensibly the ones who have struggled are gone.

the only one that baffles us is Dyson, and more so his 2 year contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MJ was a good servant of the club, but he needed to go. he is too slow and his kicking is not that much better than JJ around the ground.

as others have said. bradley might have been "ok" as a forward, but we have lloyd, lucas, gumby, neagle and even johns ahead of him. he just wasn't going to get the opportunities.

despite knights supposedly getting the job ahead of hardwick because he told the board the list was capable of winning a flag, he has really cleaned out and looks to be rebuilding. perhaps hardwick was going to be more ruthless in his clean out, or perhaps knights just told the board what they wanted to hear when in reality he knew the truth...

If they had of accpeted the deal for pick 40 their third rounder we would have taken it. In the end they didnt. If you dont use the pick then you get nothing anyway.

That contradicts the pre 2.00 p.m reports coming through The Age online, that said we baulked at pick 40 when they finally offered it. Did we get cold feet at the bell ?

I don't understand the Bradley situation.
Essendon and Fremantle were trying to do a trade for him, and it fell over before the 2pm deadline, and then Essendon delist him 3 days later. Why not just trade him to Fremantle and at least get something for him.

HBF, it sets an example for future trades.

We wanted a second rounder, they offered a third rounder.

We mull it over and accept, they come back and reneg and offer us pick 56.

IF we accept, we are just rolling over and they will try it again next time.

Now they have to use a PSD pick to get him and if he goes before he gets to them it will give them something to think about before they try it on next time.

We have been very hard to deal with in the past, but from all the onfo that has been released about the proposed Bradley trade, we acted fairly but refused to roll over and let Freo have their way.

Thank MJ. While I wanted him gone, it is still sad to see a great Essendonian depart. I hope you get picked up in the pre-season draft and have a good few years before you retire.

Bradley going is disappointing but it looks like he wanted out. We can thank one K Sheedy for his years of screwing him up as to why he has left. I just hope we can pick up someone decnet in the PSD.

And finally as for those wanting Peverill gone, not sure how you justify delisting one of your better midfielders for the year.

If that were the case, plenty of favourites should have been given the @rse over there form this year.

Agree with all your comments there and will explain why I think pev needed to be gone.

His disposal is not damaging at all and usually when he gets the ball passes backwards or sidewards, I know about transition but his movement of the ball is so slow that other teams get to get there men back

Only other reason is the future. For essendon to be a strength again we need the following in our midfield rotation. Nash, Watson, Houli, Jetta, Winderlich, Stanton, Monfries, Davey, Lovett, McVeigh, Hislop and maybe Jj to help out in this probably his last season (I might have forgot someone but dont think so - Thats right dyson, obviously getting 2 years puts him infront of some of these players as his contract is longer than some) That is 10 players to run the rotation and I know that pev is at present better equipped than some by seasons end I think he will be definitely on the outer. He has been a good servant of the EFC and deserves to go out with grace like MJ has.

You should never be the last to leave the party

Agree with all your comments there and will explain why I think pev needed to be gone.

His disposal is not damaging at all and usually when he gets the ball passes backwards or sidewards, I know about transition but his movement of the ball is so slow that other teams get to get there men back

Only other reason is the future. For essendon to be a strength again we need the following in our midfield rotation. Nash, Watson, Houli, Jetta, Winderlich, Stanton, Monfries, Davey, Lovett, McVeigh, Hislop and maybe Jj to help out in this probably his last season (I might have forgot someone but dont think so - Thats right dyson, obviously getting 2 years puts him infront of some of these players as his contract is longer than some) That is 10 players to run the rotation and I know that pev is at present better equipped than some by seasons end I think he will be definitely on the outer. He has been a good servant of the EFC and deserves to go out with grace like MJ has.

You should never be the last to leave the party

However gutting all of your senior mids does nothing for the juniors to develop. You need a mix. JJ and Pev are the only ones left since Hird and Campo and MJ have gone from the rotations.

Turnover king. :mad:

re pev, got to keep some experience abt the place, & despite a ordinary last few rounds of 07 expect a revitalized midfield to get pev & jj up & going again

we acted fairly but refused to roll over and let Freo have their way.

Hey we offered to buy you dinner first but you said no .....once the lights go on at the night club - well you know.

It was reported over in the West as we offered 40 for Dyson and Bradley ...with Dyson off the table it was 56 or nothing.

Also on the National Draft

But Bradley's manager, Colin Young, said Fremantle remained the West Australian's preference and they planned to meet the Dockers later this week.

He said it was "more likely than not" that Bradley's AFL career would continue, with the national draft shaping as the preferred pathway, rather than the pre-season draft.

"We'd be looking to go into that national draft, hopefully Fremantle, if they're keen, it will eventuate then," Young said.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/carlton-could-miss-preseason-draft/2007/10/16/1192300767743.html

That contradicts the pre 2.00 p.m reports coming through The Age online, that said we baulked at pick 40 when they finally offered it. Did we get cold feet at the bell ?

We didnt baulk. We said we would take pick 40. Fremantle said no it is going to be pick 56 or nothing with two minutes to go.

Hey we offered to buy you dinner first but you said no .....once the lights go on at the night club - well you know.

It was reported over in the West as we offered 40 for Dyson and Bradley ...with Dyson off the table it was 56 or nothing.

Also on the National Draft

But Bradley's manager, Colin Young, said Fremantle remained the West Australian's preference and they planned to meet the Dockers later this week.

He said it was "more likely than not" that Bradley's AFL career would continue, with the national draft shaping as the preferred pathway, rather than the pre-season draft.

"We'd be looking to go into that national draft, hopefully Fremantle, if they're keen, it will eventuate then," Young said.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/carlton-could-miss-preseason-draft/2007/10/16/1192300767743.html

Doesnt change the fact that we didnt roll over. Obviously Knights rated Dyson (given he signed for two years) so the third rounder for Dyson and Bradley was never going to happen. I would have taken pick 40 for both of them but that is another story.

great first round draft pick that was.

i think we should have maybe given kepler one more year. getting rid of johnson however i fully understand, and its great that we are starting to do things like this.

Yea i'm pretty amazed that we got rid of Kepler before we gave Lee the boot.

I've been critical of Bradley for obvious reasons but Lee looks like someone who will never make the grade. From the Bendigo games I saw this year, he even struggled at reserves level.

Yea i'm pretty amazed that we got rid of Kepler before we gave Lee the boot.

I've been critical of Bradley for obvious reasons but Lee looks like someone who will never make the grade. From the Bendigo games I saw this year, he even struggled at reserves level.

If Lee wasnt contracted for 2008 he was on his way as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oficial: 3 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back