Oh Eddie Betts, where art thou?

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to recall Eddie having short stints in the midfield last year (and possibly the year prior to that also)- and doing extremely well in the clearances.

Perhaps, he should push into the midfield more often? even if just to get his hands on the pill and be more involved in the game to boost his confidence.

He's very good in there...think Rattan likes his tackling in F50 much more though

Read in the Herald Scum this morning:

We must win or we're just an ordinary team. Maybe next year.

It was in response to a question on would Betts be dropped, in the pre-game interview. .. and the answer was a laugh and then that line. .. He didn't single out Betts at all, the press did after Ratts said all those who were down against Collingwood are players that should respond. .. Its not a slight on Betts at all and I like how Ratts is saying to the experienced players that they have to respond to bad games. .. He also talked up the depth and pressure for spots and how great it is to have options and bring in guys that are in form. .. You should watch it, solid interview but it early doors ;)

He's very good in there...think Rattan likes his tackling in F50 much more though
But surely with the luxury of having two tackeling machines in Garlett and Betts - this the prime opportunity to make the switch.

It isn't really robbing Peter to pay Paul, because we still have that pressure in the F50 via Garlett, besides, he would only have to play the odd, short stint here and there just to get some form of involvement.

Its a tough balance. .. Our other forwards are actually down on tackle count this year (esp. with Garlett playing up on the wing more). .. I think the other reason Betts wasn't moved into the centre was that the players in there were in an arm wrestle. .. However it might have been an inspired move if he had pushed Murphy forward and Betts into the centre. ..

Edit: Tackles
Forward Avg
Eddie: 4.67
Thornton, Walker 2.33
Garlett, Waite 2.0
Hampson 0.67

Hammer needs to lift this part of his game if he is not going to take the marks. .. Warnock is 2.67

Ratts mentioned in his presser that we struggled with stoppages up forward and I think the likes of Walker and Hampsin need to get busy for Betts to spend more time midfield. Not having Robbie there has hurt us a bit too.

Selective quote by the HUN.

Rattan was asked whether Eddie was in danger of losing his spot and he replied..
"no, no, no...he'll want to respond though"

Hit its target market smack between the eyes though.

fb9xg.jpg

The one on the left is Hezi, the one on the right theheatleystand, both want ratts (a family member judging by the ears:eek:) sacked.

Ratts mentioned in his presser that we struggled with stoppages up forward and I think the likes of Walker and Hampsin need to get busy for Betts to spend more time midfield. Not having Robbie there has hurt us a bit too.

Waite actually owes us a big game. .. of those listed above he is the lowest goal scorer after Hampson. .. In order Garlett, Walks, Betts, Waite, Hampson. ..

I'm getting a little worried with Eddie has he peaked already at 24 turning 25? He started on fire as a kid for many years.I hope he can fire it up again as he was great with Fevola and early last year with O'hailpin.I know some players do peak early.Do you think we seen the best of him?

I don't know if he needs to be dropped.But...... He has to realize that he has a job to do, and that job involves NEVER, EVER going up for a pack mark against the tallest players in the league - not for a spoil - but for a genuine attempt at a mark in front. Unbelievable. Maybe once not realizing the situation - but every single time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betts did a little bit more than the nothing last week. But was still poor. He's the new 'neon Leon'..Maybe time in the midfield will help him, but who takes his role?

Gibbs needs to be more attacking and effective with his skills.

Thing with eddie is, no1 can replace him in the VFL... only guy is Rohan Kerr and that is it... you cant replace eddie with another marking forward. :( he has to lift though

Maybe we can get Eddie into the middle next week and make him hunt the ball? Maybe that's what he needs to get him going again.

Maybe we can get Eddie into the middle next week and make him hunt the ball? Maybe that's what he needs to get him going again.

All for this. .. Not sure but there was one time where we got 2 quick goals and Eddie either started in the middle on the second or ran in off the square and extracted it. ..

If he needs to find some form in the twos I think Curnow can go forward in his place and bring in another goal kicking midfielder to rotate with Curnow (eg. Ellard). .. Could even do this to throw Eddie in the middle. ..

We have to make it happen next week, start Eddie in the middle, Curnow can probably play as a holding forward, has great defensive skills and could do the job of holding the ball in the forward half for us.

We need to get those creative juices flowing for Eddie, make starting in the middle will stir him up a bit, and he is capable of playing there.

Thing with eddie is, no1 can replace him in the VFL... only guy is Rohan Kerr and that is it... you cant replace eddie with another marking forward. :( he has to lift though
David Ellard can play that position he has in the past in the lower leagues while you can throw Betts in the middle to get him into the game.

David Ellard can play that position he has in the past in the lower leagues while you can throw Betts in the middle to get him into the game.

Eddie doesn't actually take any lead up marks in the forward line, not this season anyway. Maybe one, in Junk time.

Thornton, I know, has proven to be a MUCH more effective forward than Eddie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Eddie Betts, where art thou?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back