Oh Eddie Betts, where art thou?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't set it a light, definitely under pressure. .. Will come down to how the MC analyse his off ball presence during the week. .. Saw him getting more front and centre looking for spillages then he has seemed to in recent weeks. ..

Still a tackling machine though. ..

After Ellard's performance last night, Eddie is under even more pressure. Davey showed that he can easily manage a midfield + small forward role. If Betts can't do the same soon, then I think the club will be stating to think about the benefits they'll get from another midfield rotation.

Eddie did ok last night, would still like to see him in the middle to give us that extra flair, like I have kept saying he knows how to find the ball.

We need to get Eddie hunting the ball, run him into form that way, but last night I think he showed a little spark, his pressure was up there, so he is getting there.

Eddie did ok last night, would still like to see him in the middle to give us that extra flair, like I have kept saying he knows how to find the ball.

We need to get Eddie hunting the ball, run him into form that way, but last night I think he showed a little spark, his pressure was up there, so he is getting there.

I agree Eddie was alright last night, as shown by his stats of 15 disposals and 7 tackles. He needs to go so much better though, as with lots of players in this team.

EddieBetts246a.jpg

I started this thread as I really like Betts and i feel better performances by him coulda made a difference in the Scum and Bummers game, but he returned my faith tonight! Maybe it was because his funksoulbrother Setanta was in the side this week instead of Megan Gale's rebounder?

Some serious egg on face in this thread. No sign of Broady4, suspect he already has a new account. Some nice work in here though. Gotta love what the permanent public records do for posters cred.

Great job from Eddie tonight backing up his performance from last week. That contested mark he took was massive in terms of winning the game.

Maybe it was because his funksoulbrother Setanta was in the side this week instead of Megan Gale's rebounder?

You might mean this in semi-jest but I do really wonder if our indigenous boys gel better with Setant. It's early doors but it was certainly working a treat for the first parts of last year.

Setanta's Little Helpers and all that..

You might mean this in semi-jest but I do really wonder if our indigenous boys gel better with Setant. It's early doors but it was certainly working a treat for the first parts of last year.

Setanta's Little Helpers and all that..

Tonight seemed like it might have just been effort but it could have also been about structure. .. With Setant and Waite presenting and Walker looking dangerous, it allows Betts under the radar a little and also allows him to better read the structure. .. Garlett was obviously doing a link role further up the ground, so this helped empty the space a bit more for Eddie. ..

Also cannot under estimate the early touches Eddie got in the wet. .. The lad is a confidence player and it would have helped. ..

I started this thread as I really like Betts and i feel better performances by him coulda made a difference in the Scum and Bummers game, but he returned my faith tonight! Maybe it was because his funksoulbrother Setanta was in the side this week instead of Megan Gale's rebounder?

I don't think we can underestimate the difference it makes having Setanta in the forward line. He regularly busts packs open & helps to keep the ball in our F50 when he doesn't win possession. I don't think it is a coincidence that the "little helpers" worked best during the first half of last season when Irish was up & running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone here thinking of starting a thread about dropping any player, this thread is a good example of how little we truly understand of the things that clubs and coaches really rate. I have been guilty of this too, because Betts wasnt hitting the scoreboard personally we all start thinking he is not working. Well go take a look at the Ratts presser after the Swans win and see a slightly fired up Ratts defend Betts and put us doubters and the press well and truly in their place.

Well done, Ratts, well done Eddy.

Forget about the Swans game for a sec.

Betts has done nothing wrong this season. He's a small forward FFS, and they ALL have dirty days here and there. Eddie has had one this year.

6 games in Betts is on track for 40 goals the season with another 20-30 assists and 1/2 a dozen tackles a game.

Seems like people expect him to kick 4 every week.

What's important here, is the fact that we now have enough talent within our forward line that the opposition can't keep 'em all down. One week it might be Walker, next it's Garlett, this week it's Eddie.

Next week it will be....?

For anyone here thinking of starting a thread about dropping any player, this thread is a good example of how little we truly understand of the things that clubs and coaches really rate. I have been guilty of this too, because Betts wasnt hitting the scoreboard personally we all start thinking he is not working. Well go take a look at the Ratts presser after the Swans win and see a slightly fired up Ratts defend Betts and put us doubters and the press well and truly in their place.

Well done, Ratts, well done Eddy.

Well said 40yr :thumbsu:

Ratten just applauded Betts for his work in the forward line all year.
Suggested that many expect goals where his defensive work is currently second in the league.

Maybe some of us just don't see this or don't care to see this.
While I agree it's been good, Malthouse said similar about Leon Davis last year. He was out of form for a few weeks, looks like he's back now and I hope he keeps it up.

SERIOUSLY.

Let's not make the usual excuses as the regulars here love to do and we get bundled out and under perform.

Betts was a gun.

This year he is looking underdone. Lost even. Isn't playing to position and just goes missing.

He needs a lift or he's just another 'neon Leon'.

He needs to destroy a few teams, hopefully the Bummers, but at this rate he looks like the new 'neon Leon'. Shame.

Imbecile!

Eddie IS a gun. A couple of bad games against tough opposition does not mean a player is no good. So, now your faith is restored after just one good game? And if he has a bad game in a couple of weeks - you will be on his case again. You won't be happy unless he kicks a bag every week and we win by 10 goals each week. Grow a heart and get behind our players when they are doing it tough. Eddie has been our best forward for a long while now.

Eddie Betts repaying Carlton coach Brett Ratten

CARLTON forward Eddie Betts has thanked coach Brett Ratten for keeping the faith after his stunning return to form.

He revealed a chat to Ratten and forward coach John Barker on Wednesday helped renew his confidence following a lean start to the season.

"Ratts was pumped, he's had faith in me," Betts said yesterday after his four-goal effort against the Swans.

"The last couple of weeks I wasn't doing that good and was under the pump a little bit. He had faith in me when others didn't. He kept me in and had a talk to me and said I know you can play footy; just play well and prove everyone wrong."

Eddie Betts repaying Carlton coach Brett Ratten

Imbecile!

Eddie IS a gun. A couple of bad games against tough opposition does not mean a player is no good. So, now your faith is restored after just one good game? And if he has a bad game in a couple of weeks - you will be on his case again. You won't be happy unless he kicks a bag every week and we win by 10 goals each week. Grow a heart and get behind our players when they are doing it tough. Eddie has been our best forward for a long while now.

Was nowhere near as bad during his brief slump as all the knockers said. Quiet rather than bad. His stats for the season so far are pretty damn good. Glad they persisted with him, team wouldn't look right without Fast Eddie up front. Love the guy.

Eddies nick name of JUNK TIME - doesn't come from this year - it is from LAST YEAR.

The problem with Eddie is now, and always has been, that he gets his stats and goals when the game is well and truly over - done and dusted is the alternative to Junk Time for anyone who can have an honest look at things.

Yes he has one good game - does this mean we can simply over look the appalling start to the season ? Does this mean we forget that he has a very long term trend of doing nothing until the game is decided one way or the other ?

Ratten has been praising Eddie because he needed a confidence lift. Seriously you can't be honestly telling me that Eddie tackles well and therefore is the second best forward in the league. Just go hire the fast Rugby player there is and tell him to hand pass at all costs. This is a ridiculous line of reasoning. The guy is a FORWARD, he is absolutely expected to kick goals. Thats his job, everyone on the ground has to tackle.

Yes Eddie did very well this week, yes it was ABSOLUTELY WHEN IT MATTERED - but if you are to be genuine and HONEST about things its the first time in a long, long time (including last year) that he has performed when it really mattered. And thats the issue. Not whether he can get stats, not whether he can kick goals - but can he kick them when things matter.

Sorry to be hard on Eddie - but someone has to play devils advocate here and speak the truth.

Eddies nick name of JUNK TIME - doesn't come from this year - it is from LAST YEAR.

The problem with Eddie is now, and always has been, that he gets his stats and goals when the game is well and truly over - done and dusted is the alternative to Junk Time for anyone who can have an honest look at things.

Yes he has one good game - does this mean we can simply over look the appalling start to the season ? Does this mean we forget that he has a very long term trend of doing nothing until the game is decided one way or the other ?

Ratten has been praising Eddie because he needed a confidence lift. Seriously you can't be honestly telling me that Eddie tackles well and therefore is the second best forward in the league. Just go hire the fast Rugby player there is and tell him to hand pass at all costs. This is a ridiculous line of reasoning. The guy is a FORWARD, he is absolutely expected to kick goals. Thats his job, everyone on the ground has to tackle.

Yes Eddie did very well this week, yes it was ABSOLUTELY WHEN IT MATTERED - but if you are to be genuine and HONEST about things its the first time in a long, long time (including last year) that he has performed when it really mattered. And thats the issue. Not whether he can get stats, not whether he can kick goals - but can he kick them when things matter.

Sorry to be hard on Eddie - but someone has to play devils advocate here and speak the truth.

Devil's advocate is one thing. Errant nonsense is another.

The truth? No, that's an opinion. Two very different things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Eddie Betts, where art thou?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back