Old habits creeping back- why isnt Fantasia and Reid actively pursuing Daniel Motlop?

Remove this Banner Ad

A gift from above

All Australian
Suspended
Aug 24, 2005
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Australia
This isnt a daniel motlop issue do dont merge it.

The issue here is after being quick to get in on the thompson deal last yr, why do we have posters saying that motlop wants to come to adelaide, but we arent showing interest, yet port are very keen? I thought we had finally changed in this area. I hope its either cause we have a bigger name lined up or it simply isnt the truth.

I know that he will not be a direct replacement for ferg, and there is mixed feelings about a direct swap for him, but motlop on his own is a very talented HFF and if he wants to come to us and only us, we have north right where we want them. Its right there to take advantage of and would a be terrible mistake not to exploit it. We are in a similar situation with ferg. If motlop doesnt care where he goes and we're not really keen on him it is a different situation.

I hope the club can see that getting SA guys with talent back to the club should be a priority and learn from not taking guys like pavlich when they asked to come back. As discussed in another thread it is one of the quickest ways to rebuild a team to a premiership contender. Being in a two team town and having plenty of SA players in the comp we are well placed to take advantage of it. If port get him cheap, heads should role in the recruiting department.

well if its posted on bigfooty it must be true :)

we do have alan stewart down there and i dare say if we want him we would have contacted him by now

Jack we are interested in Motlop. We have expressed this interest publicly. In fact Fantasia was quoted in the papers yesterday that we are interested.

Motlop's preference might be to come to Adelaide but its not a case of Adelaide and no one else. We are in no position of strength here. In fact if we are to get him it would have to be a fair trade which is what you would hope would happen.

Fergus's situation is completely different. Victorian clubs are dealing from the position of strength.

A gift from above said:
This isnt a daniel motlop issue do dont merge it.

The issue here is after being quick to get in on the thompson deal last yr, why do we have posters saying that motlop wants to come to adelaide, but we arent showing interest, yet port are very keen? I thought we had finally changed in this area. I hope its either cause we have a bigger name lined up or it simply isnt the truth.

I know that he will not be a direct replacement for ferg, and there is mixed feelings about a direct swap for him, but motlop on his own is a very talented HFF and if he wants to come to us and only us, we have north right where we want them. Its right there to take advantage of and would a be terrible mistake not to exploit it. We are in a similar situation with ferg. If motlop doesnt care where he goes and we're not really keen on him it is a different situation.

I hope the club can see that getting SA guys with talent back to the club should be a priority and learn from not taking guys like pavlich when they asked to come back. As discussed in another thread it is one of the quickest ways to rebuild a team to a premiership contender. Being in a two team town and having plenty of SA players in the comp we are well placed to take advantage of it. If port get him cheap, heads should role in the recruiting department.

Why do they need to make a play for Motlop. I expect we are looking to pull out another gem with Pick 93.

• Banned
Stiffy_18 said:
Fergus's situation is completely different. Victorian clubs are dealing from the position of strength.

my understanding is that he wants to come to the afc, is this right? Not adelaide in general. If this is the case we are in a situation of strength. If its just port or the crows we arent.

I agree we are in the shyte with the vic clubs with ferg though, if it is apparently a weak draft i'd say we'd be very lucky to get anything in the top 10. If its like last yr it will be top15ish.

i dont want to see us let another opportunity slip with a SA player, in motlop, it almost always happens.

Great to see all the recruiting experts like Springjoke and Jack once again showing their complete lack of understanding.

You already have more medium forwards than anyone else in the league, why would Motlop be a priority?

A gift from above said:
my understanding is that he wants to come to the afc, is this right? Not adelaide in general. If this is the case we are in a situation of strength. If its just port or the crows we arent.

I agree we are in the shyte with the vic clubs with ferg though, if it is apparently a weak draft i'd say we'd be very lucky to get anything in the top 10. If its like last yr it will be top15ish.

i dont want to see us let another opportunity slip with a SA player, in motlop, it almost always happens.
Jack his first choice is AFC however, if the fair trade can't be done he has other options. In other words he is not holding Kangaroos to ransom. Its not a matter of us trying to dud the Kangaroos here as they can simply deal with Port if we don't come to the party. I don't think Kangaroos would try to rape us here but if we offer them somewhere in the ball park of what they think is a fair trade them they will deal him to us. If we try and do what you are suggesting they just start negotiating with other clubs and Motlop is not against that.

As far as I know we have been in contact with Motlop's agent for preliminary discussions. What eventuates from there I don't know. We are interested in him no doubt but I also can't tell you the extent of that interest. If we think Kangaroos are being reasonable in what they are asking then we will deal. If we think they are asking too much then we probably say thanks but no thanks.

Motlop is not SA lad. He is a NT lad who has some connections in Adelaide.

PerthCrow said:
Jack Fred said it... how do YOU know Fantasia and Reid ARE NOT doing what they can. Did you want a neon sign in Rundle Mall?

Grow up

disappointing attitude there. I hope they are, if we had gone for players like pavlich in the past i would have more confidence.

Re: Old habits creeping back- why isnt Fantasia and Reid actively pursuing Daniel Mot

North does not screw clubs on trades. We are probably the the club of choice most clubs look to trade with. We do not have unreasonable expectations and more importantly we will make a very serious effort to let our boys go where they want to go.

All I heard is that he prefers to go to Adelaide, as in the city and not the club in particular. What else was mentioned was that he would accept a trade to Perth, Brisbane or Sydney so there is nothing forcing our hand.

I think North will be keen to get a deal done quickly. The longer these things drag out, the more they tend to break down.

Not sure if Adelaide is entertaining a Motlop/Watts deal. I'd imagine North would be interested, a lot would depend on if there were other issues to work out. We rejected Port's offer for Salopek so I don't think we will take any poor deals. I don't think Port is a club others would look to trade with.

I think at the end of the day, both our clubs would have preferred to hold onto the player we had, it is just a matter of making the most out of a bad situation.

Stiffy_18 said:
Jack his first choice is AFC however, if the fair trade can't be done he has other options. In other words he is not holding Kangaroos to ransom. Its not a matter of us trying to dud the Kangaroos here as they can simply deal with Port if we don't come to the party. I don't think Kangaroos would try to rape us here but if we offer them somewhere in the ball park of what they think is a fair trade them they will deal him to us. If we try and do what you are suggesting they just start negotiating with other clubs and Motlop is not against that.

As far as I know we have been in contact with Motlop's agent for preliminary discussions. What eventuates from there I don't know. We are interested in him no doubt but I also can't tell you the extent of that interest. If we think Kangaroos are being reasonable in what they are asking then we will deal. If we think they are asking too much then we probably say thanks but no thanks.

Motlop is not SA lad. He is a NT lad who has some connections in Adelaide.

but if his choice is to come to adelaide, it is as good as a SA guy coming home. You dont exactly get victorians wanting to come here. It depends on what motlops decision is how and definite it is, but if its us he wants we are in a advantageous position. We should be able to pay below price too. We rarely seem to rip clubs off in trade deals actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Old habits creeping back- why isnt Fantasia and Reid actively pursuing Daniel Mot

Tas said:
North does not screw clubs on trades. We are probably the the club of choice most clubs look to trade with. We do not have unreasonable expectations and more importantly we will make a very serious effort to let our boys go where they want to go.

All I heard is that he prefers to go to Adelaide, as in the city and not the club in particular. What else was mentioned was that he would accept a trade to Perth, Brisbane or Sydney so there is nothing forcing our hand.

I think North will be keen to get a deal done quickly. The longer these things drag out, the more they tend to break down.

Not sure if Adelaide is entertaining a Motlop/Watts deal. I'd imagine North would be interested, a lot would depend on if there were other issues to work out. We rejected Port's offer for Salopek so I don't think we will take any poor deals. I don't think Port is a club others would look to trade with.

I think at the end of the day, both our clubs would have preferred to hold onto the player we had, it is just a matter of making the most out of a bad situation.
Well there is a rumour going around Adelaide that his first choice is AFC.

I am sure your club would be pushing for the Watts deal but I am not sure we would bite unless we can't get anything better.

I would hope that we would get more for Watts than just Motlop. He is easily worth a top 10 pick in this year's draft and I think we can get that.

Tas said:
North does not screw clubs on trades.

You've done some nice work on us. When king was playing for you last yr he said comments to that effect too. We traded that WA guy from you for two second rounders, he lasted about two seasons and was sent packing and despite not knowing you were getting wells, your ripped a high first round and a high second round pick for a 30-1 yr old. We have been very kind to you.

Tas said:

Dogs dont screw you when we had rhode, we would give away mundy for Koops :eek:

Trade with port, they have Rhode now.

A gift from above said:
but if his choice is to come to adelaide, it is as good as a SA guy coming home. You dont exactly get victorians wanting to come here. It depends on what motlops decision is how and definite it is, but if its us he wants we are in a advantageous position. We should be able to pay below price too. We rarely seem to rip clubs off in trade deals actually.
No Jack we shouldn't be able to because Motlop has NOT given them an ultimatum. Its a bit like our trade of Vardy a couple of years ago. He wanted to go to Sydney and they didn't come to the party so he ended up in Melbourne.

The only advantage we have is that he would like to play for us, which eliminates the hassle of trying to sell our club to him. That reduces the things to do for us BUT it gives us absolutely no advantage when it comes to negotiating a trade.

Stiffy_18 said:
No Jack we shouldn't be able to because Motlop has NOT given them an ultimatum. Its a bit like our trade of Vardy a couple of years ago. He wanted to go to Sydney and they didn't come to the party so he ended up in Melbourne.

The only advantage we have is that he would like to play for us, which eliminates the hassle of trying to sell our club to him. That reduces the things to do for us BUT it gives us absolutely no advantage when it comes to negotiating a trade.

if it is the case that he doesnt mind then we have little advantage you are correct. If its here he wants to come its a different matter. Do you actually know that adelaide is just a preference or is it a strong preference, are you guessing about that bit?

Why do we almost always seem not hold the upper hand in trade deals? I think its what you make of it to be honest, you have to get a player to commit to you.

The stenglein trade is the only one where we had the upper hand and we managed to squeeze out a extra 2nd round pick. They got a very good player too, less appreciated than some ppl realise. Roo with stenglein on him did squat on the weekend.

jonster said:
well if its posted on bigfooty it must be true :)

good point, i hope it is not. I wouldnt surprise me if it was though. Our past trading has not been extremely strong in this reguard

jonster said:
we do have alan stewart down there and i dare say if we want him we would have contacted him by now

Thought he has nothing to do with this role anymore.

A gift from above said:
if it is the case that he doesnt mind then we have little advantage you are correct. If its here he wants to come its a different matter. Do you actually know that adelaide is just a preference or is it a strong preference, are you guessing about that bit?

Why do we almost always seem not hold the upper hand in trade deals? I think its what you make of it to be honest, you have to get a player to commit to you.

The stenglein trade is the only one where we had the upper hand and we managed to squeeze out a extra 2nd round pick. They got a very good player too, less appreciated than some ppl realise. Roo with stenglein on him did squat on the weekend.
Jack its just a preference. Not a strong preference and as I said in the other thread we are already talking with 4 clubs regarding Watts and at this stage Kangaroos is not one of them. Danger is that one of those clubs is in the bottom 2, but the other club are mid to top of the table clubs.

Blind Fred said:
Great to see all the recruiting experts like Springjoke and Jack once again showing their complete lack of understanding.

Is it possible we may see an opinion from you other than trolling, it would be nice. Now run away little man.

Crow-mosone said:
what would you give up for Motlop Jack?

i would expect this isnt asked for constructive purposes, but if i was the kangas i would think he is worth a mid-range first round pick. Considering he hasnt played for a yr and has had some injuries it strengthens our position. If we are in a position to take him for less then we should exploit it. I think we have paid top price for alot of trades either successful or non successful ones in the past. Why we arent hearing that we are actively purusing like we clearly were with thompson is worring.

SpringChoke said:
Is it possible we may see an opinion from you other than trolling, it would be nice. Now run away little man.

Its a honour a privilege about 5 of his 15 posts are dedicated to jack and now you're part of it too. Not a troll, obviously another poster on the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Old habits creeping back- why isnt Fantasia and Reid actively pursuing Daniel Motlop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back