Old Scholars - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the same dude that got into a bit of strife alongside his offsider Darren Kaye when playing for Lindisfarne back in 2005 for abusing and threatning field umpire Danny Keegan?

Some things never change:rolleyes:

Tipping the Matt Wislon you're referring to wouldn't (a) spend much time perusing the world wide web and (b) wind up playing with Hutchins of all teams.

Although I, on the rare occasion in the past, have been wrong before!

Well said BTS.

BTS, who are your tips for this weekend's games and how much do you think each team will win by and why??

You seem to have a fairly good understanding of old scholars football BTS.. Who is your tip for the flag and why??

Thanks Footyskills,

St.virgils to beat Hutchins by 33 plus - the saints to big and strong
Richmond to beat channell by 55 plus - to experienced
Uni to beat DOSA by 74 plus - too much class

Tip for the flag will be either Richmond or Uni. Both clubs have the players to win it and Uni will be better after last years disappointment, however they look short for talls at the moment.

Actually earlier this morning whilst going for a run down Sandy bay I popped my head into the Uni oval and seen Beams and Gilmour having shots on goal, this was at about 9am. They must be very keen. Expect these two to figure prominately in the goal kicking column today. Beams looked a little nervous spraying a couple with his first game back for nearly 2 years today. Expect him to lead the side well this season. Gilmour did not miss. It will be interesting to see how Reeves, Beams, and Gilmour all play in Uni's forward line.:p

Went down to watch the seniors of Channel v Richmond this arvo, missed the Reserves game due to work commitments but was told that it was a good reserves game with Channel winning by about 30 pts (or 10 goals if an over optimistic local was to be believed)

Seniors was a cracking high quality game all day - with Channel in front for nearly the majority of the game, pretty much from the first whistle with Joyce bagging the first goal of the game.

New recruits Chris Joyce dominated at Full Forward and Brendon Lorkin showing glimpses of his brilliance in periods through the game. Jared Mason had a blinder off half back flank. Last years BF winner Bouwman had a poor game by his usual high standards and looked to be carrying an injury?

Richmond looked a bit shell shocked early, don't think they really expected much of a game to be honest. But to their full credit, they performed extremely well under siege all day with their usual good players in Barwin, Baker and Daft all playing well in the midfield.

Joyce must have kicked at least 5 or 6 goals for the day and was let down at times with poor disposal from his midfielders who kicked too short or to a two/three on one contest. Coach Lamprill was hard at the ball as usual from Centre Half Forward but didn't have the support of his fellow teammates at crucial periods. The Sharks were constantly repelled from their half forward flank by the Richmond defenders.

Richmond had a purple patch late in the last quarter when they kicked about 4 or 5 goals in quick succession to hold off the Sharks and win the game by about three goals.

Channel might surprise a few teams this year going on their performance today. With three or four more quality players to slot into the side in the next couple of weeks. They were about 5 or 6 goals up at one stage which is pretty good considering they were up against the reigning premiers.

Went down to watch the seniors of Channel v Richmond this arvo, missed the Reserves game due to work commitments but was told that it was a good reserves game with Channel winning by about 30 pts (or 10 goals if an over optimistic local was to be believed)

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that Channel's first win in the OSFA?

anyone watch the bows game????

Yes, The rainbows started slowly, however as the game went on got better and better. The game was very sluggish skill wise with lots of ball ups, which would be expected for the first game. Beams and Reeves were classy up forward and Gilmour dominated all around the ground. Several of Uni's key players were down on form however, they were far to good and got a good win. At times DOSA played good footy but failed to have any real key forward to kick goals. Other than a 35 plus year old, K Dooley showed them the way with 5, 4 in the first quarter. Uni looked to have basically a new team with about 15 of last years prelim final not playing. Uni will only get better as the season goes and will be there abouts, but are definately lacking another tall. From the team sheet Uni also had at least 8 senior players out. DOSA will win a couple of games this year and will upset one of the big 3 at some point.

Fairly predictable round 1?? Pity Channel couldn't hold off the Premiers, would have been a great start to there season and a good first win for the club in the comp. I hope they can continue that sort of competitiveness. I wish all rouund good bloke Jack Boon was available to play Round 1. Would have loved to see Burdon build up some steam, and accidentally complelety deliberately run through the dirty little sniping **** sucker. I hope all clubs make it there policy to officially welcome him to the old scholars by belting the piss out of him every quarter of the year. Welcome to the OSFA Jack, It would be fair to say your one of the most hated players to join the comp prior to even playing a game, that's a fair wrap to come in with.

Channel might surprise a few teams this year going on their performance today. With three or four more quality players to slot into the side in the next couple of weeks. They were about 5 or 6 goals up at one stage which is pretty good considering they were up against the reigning premiers.

Talking to one of my Channels sources on Sat night who told me they absolutely dominated Richmond in the 2nd term but kicked a wasteful 6.8!

As I told him, there are some teams you can't dominate and still give them the slightest sniff of victory. As Uni found out in last year's Prelim and Channel on Saturday - Richmond is one of them!

Yes, The rainbows started slowly, however as the game went on got better and better. The game was very sluggish skill wise with lots of ball ups, which would be expected for the first game. Beams and Reeves were classy up forward and Gilmour dominated all around the ground. Several of Uni's key players were down on form however, they were far to good and got a good win. At times DOSA played good footy but failed to have any real key forward to kick goals. Other than a 35 plus year old, K Dooley showed them the way with 5, 4 in the first quarter. Uni looked to have basically a new team with about 15 of last years prelim final not playing. Uni will only get better as the season goes and will be there abouts, but are definately lacking another tall. From the team sheet Uni also had at least 8 senior players out. DOSA will win a couple of games this year and will upset one of the big 3 at some point.

i was at this game too and noticed that Uni were still missing some good players from last year including Brooks, Nelson, Hill, Jones, Riseley, Stewart and Gowans, are these guys playing?

what position did maguire play 1st best in the papper must of had some game to get in before f reeves who kicked 8

well done to channel on saturday you only run out of legs, Brendan Lorkin found a nice welcome to the old scholars footy, king hit Ben Cato from behind and you ended up on your arse and off with the blood rule, some super shots to your dumb head were so funny, the way you defended yourself no wonder you resorted to a hit from behind, Richmond boys stick up for their own, reckon they will welcome you in the return game with closed hands Brendan lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was at this game too and noticed that Uni were still missing some good players from last year including Brooks, Nelson, Hill, Jones, Riseley, Stewart and Gowans, are these guys playing?

Riseley was spotted in the 2's after what looked to be a very big preseason.. Sponsored by National Pies..

well done to channel on saturday you only run out of legs, Brendan Lorkin found a nice welcome to the old scholars footy, king hit Ben Cato from behind and you ended up on your arse and off with the blood rule, some super shots to your dumb head were so funny, the way you defended yourself no wonder you resorted to a hit from behind, Richmond boys stick up for their own, reckon they will welcome you in the return game with closed hands Brendan lol

Why is it that these so called big names come into the OSFA competition and think that it will be a walk in the park or that they can snipe blokes and get away with it. It is a tough competition and it looks as though they are finding out the hard way.

Pretty fair analysis. Although, Uni were only up by 5 points at half-time after being outplayed in the first half. Special mention to Ben Beams for some of the most ridiculous diving/acting i've seen on a football field. Respected him immensely before the game, lost a bit for him now. Even bigger mention to the umps who were completely sucked in by it!

As for the game itself, DOSA got off to a flyer and in my opinion looked the better side in the first half. More direct, and more potent up forward through Dooley and Davie. Kim Harvey was dominating everything also. Uni however were just a touch classier and made DOSA pay. Some pretty "clarsey" goals from Reeves and some ordinary free kicks gave them the lead at the half. Add to this that Nathan Abrahams (arguably DOSA's best player) went down early in the first with a knee, leaving the roosters a quality player down all day.

Different story in the third, Uni showed why they will be top two this year, running DOSA around and kicking goals at will. Gilmore brought his own shezza. Dissapointing from the Roosters who definately had a chance if not for one bad quarter. Still some key ins to come back, and the game this week @ North Hobart V Channel should be a goodun.

Pretty fair analysis. Although, Uni were only up by 5 points at half-time after being outplayed in the first half. Special mention to Ben Beams for some of the most ridiculous diving/acting i've seen on a football field. Respected him immensely before the game, lost a bit for him now. Even bigger mention to the umps who were completely sucked in by it!

As for the game itself, DOSA got off to a flyer and in my opinion looked the better side in the first half. More direct, and more potent up forward through Dooley and Davie. Kim Harvey was dominating everything also. Uni however were just a touch classier and made DOSA pay. Some pretty "clarsey" goals from Reeves and some ordinary free kicks gave them the lead at the half. Add to this that Nathan Abrahams (arguably DOSA's best player) went down early in the first with a knee, leaving the roosters a quality player down all day.

Different story in the third, Uni showed why they will be top two this year, running DOSA around and kicking goals at will. Gilmore brought his own shezza. Dissapointing from the Roosters who definately had a chance if not for one bad quarter. Still some key ins to come back, and the game this week @ North Hobart V Channel should be a goodun.

hmmm umpires,injuries and arsey goals. Didnt the wind change direction every 1/4 aswell?:rolleyes:

hmmm umpires,injuries and arsey goals. Didnt the wind change direction every 1/4 aswell?:rolleyes:

Didnt say the umpiring was bad. Said they were sucked in by Beams efforts, which they were.

Didnt say "injuries" either. I said injury (non-plural). Completely relevant when dissecting the game, considering it was very early on and to our best player. Wasn't making an excuse.

Arsey goals? Yep, some of them were. Thats footy though, was just an observation, not an excuse. Uni were the better side on the day and will most likely play in a GF. But whatever :rolleyes:

Didnt say the umpiring was bad. Said they were sucked in by Beams efforts, which they were.

Didnt say "injuries" either. I said injury (non-plural). Completely relevant when dissecting the game, considering it was very early on and to our best player. Wasn't making an excuse.

Arsey goals? Yep, some of them were. Thats footy though, was just an observation, not an excuse. Uni were the better side on the day and will most likely play in a GF. But whatever :rolleyes:

Abrahams a better player than Kim Harvey? Not sure i agree with that Rowie....

This week
Channel over Dosa 32pts
Richmond over the Shippies 1pt
Uni by 65pts over Hutchins

any thoughts?

Sounds about right. Reckon Richmond will beat the Ships by more than that though.

Just jumping on the Jack Boon anti-bandwaggon. I heard last week at the Saints v Hutchins game that, when asked for the $5 entry fee, rolling in to the ground in his big BMW, he replied 'I don't have it'. He still got in though. Wonder whether he gave the ol' 'Do you know who I am?', spiel.

His reputation is certainly preceeding him

Sounds about right. Reckon Richmond will beat the Ships by more than that though.

Just jumping on the Jack Boon anti-bandwaggon. I heard last week at the Saints v Hutchins game that, when asked for the $5 entry fee, rolling in to the ground in his big BMW, he replied 'I don't have it'. He still got in though. Wonder whether he gave the ol' 'Do you know who I am?', spiel.

His reputation is certainly preceeding him

Happened to be at the Hutchins Vs University game on saturday and saw Jack Boon walk into the ground dressed as if he was doing a modeling shoot, where was your Hutchins Polo top? this boy seems to think he is better than everyone else because of his father David!

Wake up Jack, you are playing Old Scholars football!
Your not a AFL star, nor do you play cricket for Australia like your old man did!

I took particular notice of him during the game and he did do a few good things, but he also dished out a few cheap shots and i was hoping to see one of the University players slam his head into the ground!

Other than that it was a good game, Hutchins were simply too good on the day and Leich, Harris and Nichols gathered touches at will.
Chugg was a target up forward kicking a couple but missed three times as many!
they are still missing a few players by the look of it, so there is room for improvement and could be a top side this year.
Looking forward to seeing them play Richmond and OHA.

I don't know what happened with Uni, Maguire was good in the ruck all day but no one was getting to the ball after he tapped it!

All there high paid stars did nothing, although Beams kicked a few, he didn't stand out as much as he did when he was at the devils! maybe starting to slow down!
Did hear Uni have a few to come back though in the next few weeks...

I think Hutchins will be around abouts this year, judging by their first two outings at least.
They were good against the Saints for the first half but the Saints were able to run away with it a bit in the end. Obviously yesterday was a good result for them.
Its great to see Uni get it in the neck early on. Can't stand it when everyone raves about a team's chances for the flag before a game has even been played. (try keeping a lid on things in the future) For them to get beaten reasonably well by a team that many weren't rating that highly is good to see.
DOSA beating Channel also was an interesting result. After Channel's showing against Richmond last week I thought that maybe they would have beaten DOSA. Looks like this season may be a lot closer than many have been lead to believe. Its good to see. If a team is not on their game then they may very well get beat, regardless of who they are playing.
Makes for a great season.

Happened to be at the Hutchins Vs University game on saturday and saw Jack Boon walk into the ground dressed as if he was doing a modeling shoot, where was your Hutchins Polo top? this boy seems to think he is better than everyone else because of his father David!

Wake up Jack, you are playing Old Scholars football!
Your not a AFL star, nor do you play cricket for Australia like your old man did!

I took particular notice of him during the game and he did do a few good things, but he also dished out a few cheap shots and i was hoping to see one of the University players slam his head into the ground!

Other than that it was a good game, Hutchins were simply too good on the day and Leich, Harris and Nichols gathered touches at will.
Chugg was a target up forward kicking a couple but missed three times as many!
they are still missing a few players by the look of it, so there is room for improvement and could be a top side this year.
Looking forward to seeing them play Richmond and OHA.

I don't know what happened with Uni, Maguire was good in the ruck all day but no one was getting to the ball after he tapped it!

All there high paid stars did nothing, although Beams kicked a few, he didn't stand out as much as he did when he was at the devils! maybe starting to slow down!
Did hear Uni have a few to come back though in the next few weeks...
Funny how people pick on someone because of his name. Is that just as bad as saying he rates himself because of his dad? Maybe he does not want the spotlight hence his move to Hutchins? I walked in behind him at the St Virgils game and he paid just befoe me!! im not sure why someone would make up a story about him. Give the kid a go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back