Old Scholars

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Channel may quit SFL

Article from:

ADAM SMITH
September 19, 2007 12:00am

STRUGGLING regional league club Channel could find itself in a new competition as early as next year.
Saints president Steve Wass confirmed yesterday life members from the club had contacted the Old Scholars Association about the prospect of joining the league.

Since making the SFL finals in 2004 Channel has won 12 games in three seasons, including two this year -- both over fellow battlers Triabunna.

With player numbers and commitment, as well as volunteers becoming an issue, the club is facing a huge task to once again rise as a finals contender.

The Saints held a crisis meeting a month ago in order to determine the direction the club should take, with joining the Old Scholars floated as an idea.

Wass is confident the club will not be forced to fold in the near future and said any decision made will be for the long term benefit of Channel.

"We have got some discussions on certain topics with AFL Tasmania in regard to the regional league," he said.

"Obviously it's most important to get a coach first but we will work with the SFL then open things to our membership.

"It (the Old Scholars) is an option and one we need to take seriously.

"It is a very difficult situation and we want to get a quality coach and expect it to be better if we remain in the SFL regional league.

"I don't believe the club will fold in the next two to three years."

Old Scholar's president Brett Hall said preliminary discussions had taken place regarding Channel joining the six team competition.

However, with the grand final this weekend no further action will be taken with the clubs until next month.

"We are going to meet at some stage with the delegates after the finals, we haven't made any decisions positive or negative," Hall said.

Early last year Friends was forced to pull out of the association and Hall said with just six teams the future of the competition relies on the viability of those clubs.

Richmond was the last club to join the Old Scholars in 2001.

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,22444246-13222,00.html

What a cracker of a Grand Final Hutchins v DOSA. Great game to film and the standard was as good if not better than the Regional Grand Final.

Maybe there should be a playoff next year between SFL Regional and Old Scolars winners?

Then again mad Monday puts a no to that!.

Duff

Old Scholars commentary of 3rd QTR

Audio playback has been fixed and can be heard at www.dufftv.com.au
You will need Quicktime to play which is a free download http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

It was a totally awesome call from “Flash” Lithgow. Well done David.

Some great calls from about third of the way in when DOSA was on its way back.

There no doubt Old Scholars is alive and well. It was a totally awesome game to film

Duff.

OHA - look to have picked up plenty of players from what i've been hearing. New coach Scott McCallum will no doubt attract a few Clarence players. I believe Joel Doyle is one prominent player who will line up for the Ships.

Richmond - Also recruiting well, with a few handy pick ups from Dodges Ferry. Haven't lost too many from last year's team that made the finals.

St Virgils - Looking like they will be a lot stronger than last year, Nick Davey will certainly help the Saints out this year.

University - Lost Haremza, haven't heard a whole lot else so far.

DOSA - Have reportedly picked up another key forward to add to their dangerous trio of Allen, Rogers and Jelkic. Will be dangerous and high scoring team once again.

Hutchins - Reportedly lost Drury and Doran, but will still be strong. Very good depth in this team.

All in all, looks as if the competition will be very even this year. Roster will be made public shortly i believe.

Jelkic so I'm told having the year off to get over injuries, the main one (maybe only one) I'm told is Osteitis Pubis.

Heaps going to OHA from Clarence, same with St Virgils picking up a stack from Hobart - and that other twit would have us believe nobody in that Comp pays players.

Turn it up, Piesflag07!

Isn't Doran coaching Hutchins once again?

I believe there is a draft fixture of the 2008 roster floating around.

Have heard that DOSA will host Richmond in round 1. Anyone else got any info??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old Scholars 2008 Roster
Home team first
5 Apr
DOSA v Richmond
Hutchins v St Virgils
Uni v OHA

12 Apr
St Virgils v DOSA
Richmond v Uni
OHA v Hutchins

19 Apr
Uni v DOSA
OHA v St Virgils
Hutchins v Richmond

26 Apr
DOSA v OHA
University v Hutchins
Richmond v St Virgils

3 May
Hutchins v DOSA
OHA v Richmond
St Virgils v University

10 May
Richmond v DOSA
St Virgils v Hutchins
OHA v University

17 May
DOSA v St Virgils
Uni v Richmond
Hutchins v OHA

24 May
DOSA v Uni
St Virgils v OHA
Richmond v Hutchins

31 May
OHA v DOSA
Hutchins v Uni
St Virgils v Richmond

7 Jun - bye

14 Jun
DOSA v Hutchins
Richmond v OHA
Uni v St Virgils

21 Jun
DOSA v Richmond
Hutchins v St Virgils
Uni v OHA

28 Jun
St Virgils v DOSA
Richmond v Uni
OHA v Hutchins

5 Jul
Uni v DOSA
OHA v St Virgils
Hutchins v Richmond

12 Jul
DOSA v OHA
Uni v Hutchins
Richmond v St Virgils

19 Jul
Hutchins v DOSA
OHA v Richmond
St Virgils v Uni

26 Jul
Richmond v DOSA
St Virgils v Hutchins
OHA v University

2 Aug - bye

9 Aug
DOSA v St Virgils
Uni v Richmond
Hutchins v OHA

16 Aug
DOSA v Uni
St Virgils v OHA
Richmond v Hutchins

23 Aug
OHA v DOSA
Hutchins v Uni
St Virgils v Richmond

30 Aug
DOSA v Hutchins
Richmond v OHA
Uni v St Virgils

6 Sep
Semi-finals at Richmond

13 Sep
Preliminary final

20 Sep
Grand final at North Hobart

I've heard from my sources that the Curtain Raiser in Round 1 at Cadburys will be well worth watching as it will feature the comeback of former Association leading goalkicker Anthony "Plugger" Summers!

Playing for Richmond that is, against his former side, DOSA!

Summers is rejuvenated after 2007 out of the game due to work committments and is keen to do well after being recruited by new Blues Reserves Coach, Craig "Wizza" Wylie who, correct me if I'm wrong has played with every club in the competition bar St Virgils and Hutchins!

Summers is apparently looking to "crack some heads" and the big fella will no doubt have some of the noted DOSA softies (you know the types I mean Wilbur35) looking over their shoulders out of fear the big fella will be charging in off the square at the first bounce!

All roads lead to Cadburys, Saturday April 5!

Saw Sorell play DOSA in a practice match over the weekend.

Both teams looked to have a few out from what i could tell. DOSA won by about 3-4 goals in the end i think, just a bit cleaner with the ball going forward than Sorell. DOSA were missing Rogers and Loveless i think.

Saw Sorell play DOSA in a practice match over the weekend.

Both teams looked to have a few out from what i could tell. DOSA won by about 3-4 goals in the end i think, just a bit cleaner with the ball going forward than Sorell. DOSA were missing Rogers and Loveless i think.

How did young Rowbottom and Fielding go for the roosters?

Not wrong!!

I heard that somebody by the name of Michael Pace got bumped off the ball and came off the field in tears claiming a dislocated shoulder. It was later found out that the injury was a mere jarring?

JHAD, HBK, Rowie09 - can anybody shed some light on the status of this poor poor man's career?

I heard that somebody by the name of Michael Pace got bumped off the ball and came off the field in tears claiming a dislocated shoulder. It was later found out that the injury was a mere jarring?

JHAD, HBK, Rowie09 - can anybody shed some light on the status of this poor poor man's career?
Don't know where you got the news that it was jarred, but a dislocation is what it is.. The tears are a completely different story ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back