On current form, Sydney should be flag favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

The crows were VG against you guys, who were lacklustre. The Swans are very reliable, and put the Crows away comfortably with their consistent performance, something Hawthorn could not match. The Swans used that same consistent performance to put the hawks away in Tas.

Advantage Sydney.

Hawthorn forward line

Sydneys forward line

Advantage to Hawthorn. :D

Hawthorn forward line

Sydneys forward line

Advantage to Hawthorn. :D

Didn't work out that way in Tas, and you only hot there in Sydney due to playing at your absolute best, which the Hawks don't seem to do on big occasions (like against Geelong, for eg).

The swans have a great contested ball, pressure game which makes Hawthorn's fleet footed, nimble, precision game break down. Ssme way that Geelong break Hawthorn down. We've seen it over and over this year. no point having receivers like Rioli waiting for the outside ball when it's not getting outside.

Don't see the point of a pissing contest for who gets favouratism. Both sides have things in their favor. I'm pretty happy it's at the mcg.

As for form, Sydney had a bigger prelim win and beat Adelaide by more than we did. But when Sydney played the crows, Adelaide couldn't kick straight and had more scoring chances. Last night was the opposite

I don't buy into hawthorn being crap last night. That's disrespectful to Adelaide. We almost doubled their inside 50s. The crows were just brilliantly efficient up foreard, which they weren't against Sydney. If Adelaide kicked and played like they did last night against the swans, they'd have hosted collingwood in a prelim.

Other than our goal kicking last night I'm pretty happy with our form. Last 4 games have been wins against Sydney west coast collingwood and Adelaide.

Gotta love Big Footy. Even when you finish on top of the ladder and head in to the Grand Final on the back of four successive wins against the teams that finished 2nd to 5th, your form is apparently no good.

I think I agree that $2.82 is too long for us, but I guess as the OP says they have to balance all the money on Hawthorn for the flag.

If the Swans win it'll only be because the AFL organised for them to have an extra day of rest. But the Hawks are the form team so, even with the Swans all rested after a much easier game, you'd have to expect the star power of the Hawks to get them across the line. Could well be a blow out. Swans odds are too short considering their tiny chance of success.

Guys try to be objective with this. I know you're Hawks supporters and are obviously close to the coalface, and I don't blame you for starting to believe the Hawthorn love-fest that's been the media this year, but try to be objective, and step outside your own club for a minute.
I genuinely don't understand this 'Hawthorn Media Love fest' you're referring to? Everytime I watch a game the commentators lick their lips with every possible Hawthorn injury/Suspension. Even Dunstall makes it a point to give us sh*t! I've seen Roo's have a 'Goodes-gasm' on multiple occasions... kindly awkward if you ask me :)

But I will say this... based on the performance against the Crows we don't deserve favouritism. Sydney are a great outfit (with like-able players I might add). They seem to have the right formula for the Hawks & for finals footy. Very different styles of play, a genuine 50/50...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way we should be favorites.

Despite being the only club to have beaten every top 8 team this season (including ourselves once or twice)
Despite winning in 6 states
Despite soundly beating both the hoodoo clubs we supposedly cant beat, when it mattered.
Despite finishing the weagles happy little run of 18 or so home "fortress" wins.
Despite leading the comp for a decent portion of the season.
Despite having better looking players wearing a better looking strip.
...and even despite the vital stat of only having kicked backwards 85 times for the season when the next mob was about 130ish.

...there is no way we deserve favoritism.

All i know is we usually bring the good weather with us for GF's.
Bring your sunnies.

Didn't work out that way in Tas, and you only hot there in Sydney due to playing at your absolute best, which the Hawks don't seem to do on big occasions (like against Geelong, for eg).

The swans have a great contested ball, pressure game which makes Hawthorn's fleet footed, nimble, precision game break down.

Yeah, Hawks have no contested game, and couldn't win a clearance to save themselves. According to this article we are well ahead of Sydney on contested ball:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/time-to-collide-20120922-26e85.html

Sydney are a great tackling team, which is perhaps what you are referring to.

Ssme way that Geelong break Hawthorn down. We've seen it over and over this year.

Neither Sydney or Geelong could apply the required pressure for long enough. In the most recent games, both coughed up massive leads after their pressure dropped off. Cats were lucky enough to win after the siren in what was an against the run-of-play passage in the dying seconds.

As for Sydney's first win over us, we'd just played Pies, Cats, Adelaide and West Coast all in a row, and looked well up in the first half against Sydney. It all fell apart when our tiring mids ran out of legs in the second half, which was unsurprising given the run of proceeding games.

no point having receivers like Rioli waiting for the outside ball when it's not getting outside.

Now Rioli can't win his own ball?

Sydney can definitely win on Saturday, but they'll probably need to produce scoring efficiency similar to that shown by Adelaide yesterday, and also hope we reproduce our scoring inefficiency from that game (or can engineer it using some of Adelaide's tactics). I just think the MCG factor, and the Hawk's multiple avenues to goal will make it hard for the Swans.

Anyway, we've lost 1 game since round 9, and that was to our bogey team by less than a kick, and people are wondering why we go in favourites?

Gday Big Footy folk.. bloody great to be here in the lead in to the AFL Grand Final.

The bookies have Hawthorn at $1.40 and Sydney at $2.80. This game will be a hell of a lost tighter than that. Sydney are in this up to their neck.

Sydney are my tip.
They set the ground up to suit themselves, almost always play the game on their terms and defence wins premierships. Hawthorn has a good team defence and an amazing attack but Sydney's defence is special and full strength. Their ability to make the big ground smaller for the opposition and bigger for themselves should be telling. I think they're toughness in the midfield is SLIGHTLY deeper, and they should JUST win the telling battle of the inside midfields and they may expose a couple of the Hawks' slightly softer players.
Having said that, i can never write off a team with Buddy Franklin. Especially this one, which is scintillating. Could go either way, but sydney by 14 points for mine.
PS: the 5 best indigenous players in the comp in this game? there should be plenty of "this is greatness" ads for next year.

Form line:
Hawthorn -
R22 - W - 7 points VS Sydney (3rd)
R23 - W - 25 points VS WCE (5th)
QF - W - 38 points VS Coll (4th)
PF - W - 5 points VS Adel (2nd)

Sydney -
R22 - L - 7 points VS Haw (1st)
R23 - L - 34 points VS Geel (7th)
QF - W - 29 points VS Adel (2nd)
PF - W - 26 points VS Coll (4th)

Can someone please explain to me how, on current form, Sydney should be favourites?

Only a moron (ie. Durrrrpitz) would look at the last game in isolation as "current form", especially considering we had 26 more i50's and 10 more scoring shots against the Crows, whereas Sydney had 22 LESS i50's and 1 less scoring shot that the Crows?

Form line:
Hawthorn -

Sydney -

Can someone please explain to me how, on current form, Sydney should be favourites?

Only a moron (ie. Durrrrpitz) would look at the last game in isolation as "current form", especially considering we had 26 more i50's and 10 more scoring shots against the Crows, whereas Sydney had 22 LESS i50's and 1 less scoring shot that the Crows?

But for a poor last minute and a bit would have same form line, its not that different

Form line:
Hawthorn -

Sydney -

They just convincingly passed through their finals series and walked into the GF. You didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

On current form, Sydney should be flag favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

Back