MelbourneCrow

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea
Gerard asked who would they would fancy for next year's premiership, starting the ball rolling by saying Adelaide "with Bock back". Sheehan not surprisingly said the top 2 are better than the rest (didn't everyone say that last year? 2010 is a different season Mike!). Jimmy said the Dogs (with Hall) were a good chance to be up there with the other two.

Gerard asked who would they would fancy for next year's premiership, starting the ball rolling by saying Adelaide "with Bock back". Sheehan not surprisingly said the top 2 are better than the rest (didn't everyone say that last year? 2010 is a different season Mike!). Jimmy said the Dogs (with Hall) were a good chance to be up there with the other two.

I saw that too. Healy obviously rates us - correctly I think.

Sheahan is so Vic-centric that he never will, and sadly Hird also appears to think there's nothing west of Victoria as well.

I saw that too. Healy obviously rates us - correctly I think.

Sheahan is so Vic-centric that he never will, and sadly Hird also appears to think there's nothing west of Victoria as well.

Hirds always ha the shits with us but who cares I think tghe Saints might struggle next year their list drops of quickly.

Healy is one of the better Melb Jornos hope he is right

Cats will be there again injurys aside then we could very well be next :thumbsu:

He reluctantly said we'd improved but I think they are right in saying the top 2 will be forces again. Interestingly nobody seems to rate the Pies even though they finished top 4.

Nobody rates them coz we can all clearly see they are not that good to take out the premiership. They get an armchair draw every season and always win 2-3 games more then their list actually would suggest due to all the factors that have been thrashed to death (so many home games, massive home crowd support, play twice most years against "power" clubs who have all been easy beats lately)

Once they actually get deep in the finals they are beat by the best and their lack of talent is exposed

and Healy has a love affair with Adelaide. His always backing us until the cows come home!

given we still rely on our senior players a bit too much, as the B&F will show - we are just as likely to stand still or go back a tad next year.

its no guarantee the improvement in our young guys won't be offset by a decline in goody, edwards & Macca...

So Healy is the "only good journo in Victoria" just because he tips the Crows? Haha. Bad call, Caro.

But there's no doubt that Sheahan has a chip on his shoulder (a carry-over from his "Adelaide doesn't even have a liveable city let alone a team that can win an AFL Premiership" call mid-way through 1997).

Sheahan tips the Crows to finish bottom 3 almost every year, and every year people here get worked up about it.

Who cares? Why do people think his opinion is worth anything? And with all his 'expertise' the best he can manage is to say the top two this year will be around the mark next year? Well durrrrrh...

The game is played on ovals not by these guys 'on the couch', or that goose Rucci in the Advertiser.

It is a sad fact that football journalism is dominated by people who are opinionated and contraversial rather than knowledgeable. That's what gets people to tune in folks....

given we still rely on our senior players a bit too much, as the B&F will show - we are just as likely to stand still or go back a tad next year.

its no guarantee the improvement in our young guys won't be offset by a decline in goody, edwards & Macca...

:thumbsu:

said something similar in the Tippett thread before it was locked. The slide of the five or six (If we keep Shirley) 30+ players will more then likely offset the growth of our younger players. I am expecting a 5th-8th finish next season, but realisticly we could drop further than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Straight after the 06 PF loss, I said to myself as a supporter that I do not expect the Crows to get near a Grand Final again until 2011. Thank god I'm not in charge, because I would have gutted this team and run. I do think NC, Reid & co were a little slow with this transition and it was an understandable tactic because in retrospect, I agree we did have a genuine chance in 07. 2008 was a genuine change of pace for mine, 7 ND picks, had a ripper RD and acquired 2 new traded in players. Whilst some were (and still are) impatient to introduce these players, 2 Rising Stars this year, plus 2 in the top 5 is testament to NC's capacity to redevelop and rejuvenate our list. Even better than that is our unheard of dilemma, too many quality KPPs! The ruck division is a little soft, but ample and if Moran reaches his potential, that will be elite. I still think we are probably one elite midfielder (and one year away) from a genuine premiership chance, although the revelation of Vince, Dangerfield and Mackay has been fantastic. This could come from within our ranks if Otten can adapt to the midfield as quickly as he did the 3rd tall role, Cook can calm his nerves and learn to kick, Douglas ever puts together a PS or any one of our other options overcomes their deficiencies (Martin, Armstrong, van Berlo etc). There are a couple speculative players that should be available at #13 who I think could fill that role. A trade is also an option that should be considered seriously. Having said that, we have the capacity right now to win the flag, we just need our players to stay fit and one or two marginal games to go our way.

Hirds always ha the shits with us but who cares I think tghe Saints might struggle next year their list drops of quickly.

Healy is one of the better Melb Jornos hope he is right

Cats will be there again injurys aside then we could very well be next :thumbsu:

Sorry to indulge a broader discussion non-AFC related....

Other than Hayes, Gardiner, King and Milne pushing past 30 (and a bit in some cases), I don't think their list will affected at all by age next year. Hayes is obviously the biggest concern, but he is an elite player and will most likely deliver another huge season. There is still room for improvement left in some of their younger mids like Goddard. As long as the ruckmen stay on the park, they'll be fine, many good ruckmen can carry on well into their 30s. McEvoy is ample coverage and I think at least one or two of their rookie listed ruckman will be handy. Milne, a non-issue if they continue to find small-medium goal-kicking options; Schneider, McQualter, NDS & Goddard stepped up their goal kicking this year and Heyne could debut next year. Riewoldt probably has one elite year left. Hudghton
(rightly or wrongly) wasn't part of much of the year and their only other retirement is Jarryd Allen (devastating for the youngster to never move his promising career past 4 games). Otherwise, they have another genuine shot at it.

On the other side of the coin, Geelong might be worse hit. Over 30s at round 1 next year will be: Milburn, Harley (both of whome are likely to retire imo), Mooney, Scarlett & Otten. Egan is already gone (although Taylor has more than adequately stepped into his shoes. All of them talls (well, Milburn plays tall predominantly). They do still have a number of crucial running players still in the right age gap, but players like Wojcinski, Ling, Enright, Chapman, Corey and Rooke all at the cusp of their best playing years. Not that I'm expecting a fall from grace, but Geelong are vulnerable. If they make if 3 in 4 years, they will certainly surpass the Lions as team of the decade in my opinion, but its a tough ask.

Please don't let me derail this topic and apologies in advance if I have.

Good post KUNG FU, I think the crows will be much the same next year as they were this team. I think the Saints don't have the depth of some of the other sides however and they do have a few older players, especially in the ruck with no good young replacements. I think Carlton will be a rival to the crows again next year. Murphy and Gibbs are class players and will only improve next year.

I think we need to give the crows 2-3 years to let them develop. History proves must AFL players hit there peak around the 23-30 zone and guys like Vince, Van Berlo, Mackay, Tippet etc will be strong bodied, experienced players by 2011-2012.

Geelong will be a very strong side next year as well, there players seem very humble and they have a strong club culture. I wouldnt be suprised if the players were prepared to take lesser pay in return for a good environment and potential premierships.

I think the Bulldogs have next year to win and thats it!

Remove this Banner Ad

On The Couch Tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back