Open Mike - Dermot Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Salmon too. Sheedy took years to apologise for they way he treated him, but most likely forced to apologise in order to get him to come back.

I remembered the game where Salmon was in the goal square and refusing to lead and getting boo'd constantly then got dragged. Finding out 25 years later that it was Sheedy being an alpha campaigner was surprising and also not surprising.
so he ordered Salmon not to lead regardless ?

He was a real party animal back in the day
a lot of those Carlton players were according to McClure,strange thing is ive hardly heard Glasscotts name ever mentioned in those discussions with McClure,sure it aint sumthin else ? ive also watched a few Carlton re unions on YT in passing & its always the same 5-6 scoundrels who get up n reveal
the shenanigans they were up to back in the day and its never Glasscott or his name mentioned,its always Perra,Marcou,Johnston,Buckley,Sheldon,McClure Jones,etc

The Warwick Capper one was good for a laugh.

The Wiz clearly ain't the full deck but I think he genuinely enjoys his life.
Reckon he is probably a lot smarter than he lets on, in terms of knowing how to parlay an act into something that has endured for over 30 years since he stopped playing.

Reckon he is probably a lot smarter than he lets on, in terms of knowing how to parlay an act into something that has endured for over 30 years since he stopped playing.

Yeah, you are probably right. I might be doing the Wiz a bit of a disservice.

I actually saw him in the crowd at a gig at the Corner Hotel just before Covid hit. He was an absolute hit with the punters and obviously loved the attention.

He is not book smart, but he is very good at selling himself and telling a story.

These older players do hundreds of chats / Q&As/etc so hone their stories to be very funny.

Just watched that. Pretty stark in his assessment of Sheedy and, if what he is telling is the truth, it paints a very average picture of the bloke.
For all of how much he is revered among some sections of AFL, Sheedy has a very long line of people that have said how ordinary he was/is in dealing with issues and people. The Talking Footy episode when him and Robert Walls went head to head after Walls called out some of KS's bluster, was brilliant viewing for seeing Walls show no fear or favour in putting KS back in his place.

Oh, completely. I'm too young to have seen his career, but I know exactly who he is and would easily recognise him if I saw him down the street; there would not be many of his contemporaries I could say that about. The fact that he was also a very good footballer backs him up, too.

Oh, completely. I'm too young to have seen his career, but I know exactly who he is and would easily recognise him if I saw him down the street; there would not be many of his contemporaries I could say that about. The fact that he was also a very good footballer backs him up, too.

And that is often lost on those who think Capper is something of a sideshow. He was a brilliant footballer and the single biggest name in the sport for a time there. His kicking for goal was a bit dodgy but as a drawcard, Capper was box-office.

i couldn't disagree more. Its the worst one by far. Jackson is a twit who just wants to have a whinge.

No good stories nothing decent. Racist bitter old man.

To be fair, he didn't say it was the best; he said it was his favourite. Maybe he liked it because it was such a train wreck?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that is often lost on those who think Capper is something of a sideshow. He was a brilliant footballer and the single biggest name in the sport for a time there. His kicking for goal was a bit dodgy but as a drawcard, Capper was box-office.
Aren't many footballers that can claim they are so iconic that something is named after them in popular culture "taking a Capper"

apparently could be a right campaigner @ times

I was a sportsman's day before the GF and Aker was talking about Eade. Says Rocket's personal hygiene was disgraceful...would be scratching his nuts and then eating from the buffet without washing his hands, double-dipping, just a real pig it seems.

Capper couldn't kick any further than 40m, but he was very accurate.

apparently could be a right campaigner @ times
I know someone who worked VERY closely with him at one of his AFL clubs. Said he had never - before or since - met someone in footy that could be so destructive toward players when he wanted to. Even allowing for the supposed "back in the day, players were tougher" stuff, some of his alleged behaviour wouldn't come close to flying in any era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Open Mike - Dermot Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back